Raspberry Pi Digital File Player

Jan 2, 2013
Just purchased a Raspberry Pi 2 with Power Supply, Case and Micro SD card for experimenting as an extremely cheap digital file player and perhaps streamer.

Any opinions on software: Rune, Pi MusicBox, MoOde, Volumio, Archphile or other?

I have a AQ Dragonfly and Schiit Modi for USB DACs but any opinions on the HiFiBerry or other I2S solutions?

Here is the article that got me interested:
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/05/23/review-raspberry-pi-2-as-music-streamer/

Thanks,
Craig

mcduman

Aug 10, 2014
max2play if you want to stream tidal, quobuz etc. thats the only OS that supports LMS (logitech media server) also get a powerbank to power your RPI and you have a battery driven music server for less than 100 bucks

Jan 2, 2013
I used the RPi2 as a file player and internet radio with MoOde software (which uses Music Player Daemon). It was easy to setup and use but the sound quality with a AQ Dragonfly USB DAC wasn't as good as using my laptop.

mcduman

Aug 10, 2014
I used the RPi2 as a file player and internet radio with MoOde software (which uses Music Player Daemon). It was easy to setup and use but the sound quality with a AQ Dragonfly USB DAC wasn't as good as using my laptop.
the RPi2 could use some tweaking:

1. the mi powerbank http://www.mi.com/en/pb16000/. is good for +50 hours
2. change the asound.conf file (under /etc/asound.conf) to enable hw plugin (this equivalent to kernel streaming in windows in that it bypasses the volume mixer). send me a pm if you need any help with that

Jan 2, 2013
oh, thanks!

Well I switched from the AQ Dragonfly to the Schiit Modi and it is sounding a lot better. I'm listening to NPR All Songs 24/7.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2013
Finally got the RPi2 working with Wifi, it turns out I have to remove the spaces from my router SSID. I'm using the Edimax EW-781Un Wifi usb dongle.

Apr 3, 2010
Seattle, WA
There is now RPI3 with the WiFi module included. Wonder if it is easier to configure? It is faster and still only costs $35.

My PI 2 is still sitting in a drawer :). Wanted to use it to automate my greenhouse but too lazy to program it.

About us

• Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing