Question - X600.5 or XA200.5 for Revel Salon 2

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Hi,

First, I'm new to this site. Really appreciate your thoughts and comments.

I have a pair of Revel Salon 2s that I like very much. I'm currently driving these with an ARC class D amp - the DS450. The Pre I'm using is ARC's Ref 5SE.

Under consideration are the Pass X600.5s and the XA200.5. I have spoken with Mark at Reno as well as Mike (mbovaird). Both have been great and consistent with their comments.

Wondering if anyone here has a listened to Pass amps with the Salon 2s. Would like to get your impressions and comments. And, or any advice.

Thanks,
Mike

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have not heard the combination but have tested the Salon 2 with many amps. The general rule holds: if you like high dynamics, you need lots of power to drive them The small enclosure makes them elegant in the room but that also means less efficiency. We drive them with 500 watts/channel. I worry that the 200 watts rating of XA200.5 will mean a step down from bass/dynamics power that your current class D amp provides. The highs may be cleaner there but if you like dynamics, I don't think you will like the step back there.

The above is from playing the Salon 2s in very large space. If your room is smaller and dynamics not as much of an issue, then you can ignore what I just said :).

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What Amirm said. I have not heard them with Pass but if you can afford the power please feed it to them. They will respond with heightened performance ... Great somewhat unheralded speakers, yet they are as good or better than many costing several times more ...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have almost no experience with the Revel Salon 2, but I currently have a DS450 in my system as I am using it for the very low bass. I have tried it full range several times, and although it is not my preferred type of sound (I own tubes) , I must say that its reserve of power is impressive, sounding more dynamic than many amplifiers I have owned that were rated at higher power. The slam in the bass is impressive. If you are used to the impressive dynamics of the DS450 you can find difficult going to a less powerful amplifier. A friend of mine never got fully pleased after owning the DS450 for a few months - he likes a lot his current amplifier, much more expensive and nice sounding, but always refer with nostalgia to the ease and slam of the DS450. As usual YMMV.
Welcome to WBF!

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Thanks guys.

My room is 16 X 19 X 9. The system plays plenty loud. I listen mostly to comtemporary jazz, classic rock and some classical music (lighter side - Chopin, Bach,...).

When I purchased the Salons, my amp was a 200 W/ch Anthem. Replacing that with the DS450 made a huge difference - musicality, detail and dynamics. The DS has plenty of power to drive these speakers.

After 2 yrs, I'm looking to elevate the performance of the system. Tubes are not really an option here since the Salons need lots of power. I'm considering Pass since they do sound terrific and have the reputation to work well with ARC preamps.

Thanks,
Mike

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mike-From what some knowledgeable people on this forum have told you, if you go with Pass Labs, you need to buy as much amplifier power as you can afford.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Tubes are not really an option here since the Salons need lots of power. I'm considering Pass since they do sound terrific and have the reputation to work well with ARC preamps.

Thanks,
Mike

Hmm, is a pair of ARC Ref 750s a possibility? Tubes plus lotsa power!

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
The Ref 750 is quite a pair. That's a lot of tubes! Also, a bit too much on the bank account.

Appreciate the suggestion...

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
The Ref 750 is quite a pair. That's a lot of tubes! Also, a bit too much on the bank account.

Appreciate the suggestion...

Hi

I know you were interested in Pass amplifiers. Allow me to make a side suggestion: Great sound, supreme power and not-too-brutal price :) The Bryston 28b SST monos 1000 w/ch @ 8 ohms.

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Hi

I know you were interested in Pass amplifiers. Allow me to make a side suggestion: Great sound, supreme power and not-too-brutal price :) The Bryston 28b SST monos 1000 w/ch @ 8 ohms.

Thanks Frantz. I have considered the Brystons as well as the Classe monos. My decision to pursue Pass is driven by reputation of delicious sound, very good synergy with ARC and excellent reputation for quality.

Mike

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Not pushing the Brsyton too hard they're the only manufacturer in High End Audio that has a 20-year warranty ... Not that audiophiles usually keep their gear that long :) ... You can't go wrong with Pass either ...

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Agree. Bryston is a first class outfit. James Tanner is a really good guy.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Personally if you keep your Ref 5SE (I would) I would stay all ARC and if budget is an issue find a used ARC amp but Frantz recommendation is one with which you would be hard pressed to find better

BTW, welcome to WBF

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi

I have read nothing but superlatives about those monos...any insights as to how they compare to other amps? thanks!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Personally if you keep your Ref 5SE (I would) I would stay all ARC and if budget is an issue find a used ARC amp but Frantz recommendation is one with which you would be hard pressed to find better

BTW, welcome to WBF

Steve,

I think that other than the DS450 or the DS450M only the REF750 will be able to drive the Revel Salon2. I would go the Pass way - the X600.5 complements particularly well balanced tube preamplifier's - if ever leaving power tubes I would think seriously about Pass. I have experience with a VTL 7.5 - X600.5 system and it sounds great. The person who got my Ref5 when I moved to the Ref40 had a Bryston amplifier and quickly moved to a DartZeel power amplifier - he did not want to buy a tubed power amplifier.

Anyway, quoting the Stereophile review on the Bryston 28B-SST : the input impedance was lower than specified, at 7.5k ohms unbalanced, 10.2k ohms balanced. This will result in a slightly lean bass with some tubed preamplifiers. Knowing fairly well the Ref5 and having measured it, I would not use it with this amplifier, but it is just an opinion, sometimes this hobby brings us surprises. YMMV.

The Pass X series has a 30kohm impedance - more suitable to the ARC tubes preamplifiers. The new XS series have 200 kohm - great for tube preamplifiers.

Last edited:

MJB

Mar 10, 2013

BTW, welcome to WBF

Thanks Steve! Good to be here.

Mike

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Steve,

I think that other than the DS450 or the DS450M only the REF750 will be able to drive the Revel Salon2. I would go the Pass way - the X600.5 complements particularly well balanced tube preamplifier's - if ever leaving power tubes I would think seriously about Pass. I have experience with a VTL 7.5 - X600.5 system and it sounds great. The person who got my Ref5 when I moved to the Ref40 had a Bryston amplifier and quickly moved to a DartZeel power amplifier - he did not want to buy a tubed power amplifier.

Anyway, quoting the Stereophile review on the Bryston 28B-SST : the input impedance was lower than specified, at 7.5k ohms unbalanced, 10.2k ohms balanced. This will result in a slightly lean bass with some tubed preamplifiers. Knowing fairly well the Ref5 and having measured it, I would not use it with this amplifier, but it is just an opinion, sometimes this hobby brings us surprises. YMMV.

The Pass X series has a 30kohm impedance - more suitable to the ARC tubes preamplifiers. The new XS series have 200 kohm - great for tube preamplifiers.

Precisely my concern. The 200.5 is a wonderful amp but I'm wondering if the 600.5 would be a better match for the Salons because of power requirements. My hope would be that the tubes in the Ref 5SE would complement the speed, accuracy and dynamics be adding a touch of warmth.

The other option I'm considering is adding an ARC Ref 150 to drive the mids and highs. Keep the DS450 for the bottom.

Thanks,
Mike

Penthouse-D

Dec 10, 2012
I've owned X600.5's. I'm a big Nelson Pass fan. The amps are brutes and they don't run as hot as everyone claims. I think you can cut a very good deal with Mark if you "work" him. They aren't selling nearly as well as the XA series.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing