Question on power cord priority

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi all,

On my way to converting all wire to Shunyata.

Have the Cobra IC's . One from pre to amp. The other CDP to pre.

Recently purchased the PS8 with Defender and footers.

Have purchased a used Anaconda 20A PC (replacing the Venom) which will go from the PS8 to the Furutech AC outlet (dedicated 20A circuit).

So here's the question. Plan on purchasing three new Tron "Alpha" series PC's over the next year or so. Will install on my amp (Pass Labs X250.5), pre (CJ ET5), and CDP (Cary Audio 306 SACD). Have MBL 116 speakers.

What the best order to buy / install to maximize system performance. In other words, what's the first, second and third component sequence to get max bang for the buck?

My gut is CDP, pre, amp.

Any insight / suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi all,

On my way to converting all wire to Shunyata.

Have the Cobra IC's . One from pre to amp. The other CDP to pre.

Recently purchased the PS8 with Defender and footers.

Have purchased a used Anaconda 20A PC (replacing the Venom) which will go from the PS8 to the Furutech AC outlet (dedicated 20A circuit).

So here's the question. Plan on purchasing three new Tron "Alpha" series PC's over the next year or so. Will install on my amp (Pass Labs X250.5), pre (CJ ET5), and CDP (Cary Audio 306 SACD). Have MBL 116 speakers.

What the best order to buy / install to maximize system performance. In other words, what's the first, second and third component sequence to get max bang for the buck?

My gut is CDP, pre, amp.

Any insight / suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Alpha HC for amps

Alpha Analog for Preamp

Alpha Digital for CDP

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Thank you sir. Pretty much the same as what Richard / SR recommended although he did indicate that the Alpha HC everywhere may be a better option.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I know. Found it puzzling also. He said this recommend based on "field reports".

Steve Williams

I know. Found it puzzling also. He said this recommend based on "field reports".

I would not put Alpha HC on everything. I suggest you consider the way I used them, which BTW is how Caelin suggested

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I would not put Alpha HC on everything. I suggest you consider the way I used them, which BTW is how Caelin suggested
I can't find Caelin's post now but he suggested Alpha HC is superior to Alpha digital regardless of component. I don't use Shunyata any longer but would go all Alpha HC in dude's situation.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Agreed. I think the first PC I buy will goto the CDP. That being the "digital" alpha PC.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
To me the amps ONLY deserve HC

If HC means high current and has a heavier gauge construction it can be hard to tell without trying if a heavier gauge cable will be better. Often it is for preamps, less often for sources.... I have a couple customers that just went with my heavier gauge PCs for everything. If the extra cash doesn't bother you it's not a bad rec unless you want to try with all your components and see for yourself if there is any difference. For some this is too tedious... ;)

Steve Williams

If HC means high current and has a heavier gauge construction it can be hard to tell without trying if a heavier gauge cable will be better. Often it is for preamps, less often for sources.... I have a couple customers that just went with my heavier gauge PCs for everything. If the extra cash doesn't bother you it's not a bad rec unless you want to try with all your components and see for yourself if there is any difference. For some this is too tedious... ;)

There are filters in the power cords that are specific for analog, digital or high current sources.At any rate this is how I used them, Feel free to use them wherever you want

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
There are filters in the power cords that are specific for analog, digital or high current sources.At any rate this is how I used them, Feel free to use them wherever you want

Yes, that is the whole point of the Alpha and Sigma series power cords. They all do an excellent job of filtering incoming AC noise from the grid, and have great DTCD capability, but each one is designed to filter the noise created by component power supplies that gets reflected back onto the power line, and then pollutes the other components with its noise. Since each component probably has a different type of power supply, it is best to match the cord to the power supply.

Personally, I followed Shunyata guidelines and have each cord on the type of system it was designed for.

In regard to the Alpha Digital I can give a great real world example. I burnt an Alpha Digital in for a week having it on my Oppo 103 in the HT. I then moved it to the two channel where, at the time, I was using a Bryston BDP-1 file player, and a Vega Alpha DAC. I replaced the Zitron Cobra on the BDP-1 with the Alpha Digital, and my jaw went to the floor. I was stunned at the improvement in sound quality. However, I found that on the DAC it made no difference over the Cobra.

Incidentally, the Alpha Digital also works great on the Oppo. The colors and detail are much move vivid with the Alpha versus the Cobra.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
Current draw is only one of the parameters in a PC and reason they all sound different on low drawing components. Caelin mentioned Alpha HC has a different geometry / conductor than Alpha Analog and Digital so it's a superior PC overall. When have time, will try to find Caelin's post.

Steve Williams

From the Shunyata website

The ?TRON® ? ALPHA Series of power cables represent a new concept in power delivery. Three, similarly priced power cables, that are optimized for different types of audio components. One specifically tuned for digital type components that emit ultra high frequency noise. Another designed specifically for analog type components that have linear power supplies. And the third designed for high-current draw components such as high power amplifiers. The ?TRON® ? ALPHA ANALOG power cable has noise reduction capabilities so significant that they can be measured with a power analyzer. More importantly, even a brief evaluation will yield an unmistakable improvement in the performance of any analog component in a sound, recording or video system. The ?TRON® ? ALPHA ANALOG is tuned specifically for the rectifier induced noise pulses generated by linear power supplies. It delivers a dramatic measurable reduction in both component and power line generated noise.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
From the horse's mouth:

Thread (#4): http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17760-Which-alpha-PC-to-buy-for-Aurender-N100H

First, any and all of the cables will work very good on any component. Which filter version is used will have subtle differences. But subtle differences is what defines the high-end.

I don't know who recommended the Alpha Analog for an Ayre DAC but that wouldn't be my first choice.

The Alpha Analog and Alpha Digital retail for the same price while the Alpha HC is 25% more costly. For some people and when multiple cables are used in a system, that 25% can be significant. However, if cost is not an issue for you, the Alpha HC will perform better than either the Digital or Analog version on most components regardless of the component type. The superior DTCD performance of HC cable can outweigh the differences in filter types even with components that are not amplifiers.

BTW, these guidelines are different for the Sigma Series. In the Sigma Series I would definitely recommend the Sigma Digital cable.
Caelin Gabriel
President
Shunyata Research

Steve Williams

From the horse's mouth:

Thread (#4): http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17760-Which-alpha-PC-to-buy-for-Aurender-N100H

First, any and all of the cables will work very good on any component. Which filter version is used will have subtle differences. But subtle differences is what defines the high-end.

I don't know who recommended the Alpha Analog for an Ayre DAC but that wouldn't be my first choice.

The Alpha Analog and Alpha Digital retail for the same price while the Alpha HC is 25% more costly. For some people and when multiple cables are used in a system, that 25% can be significant. However, if cost is not an issue for you, the Alpha HC will perform better than either the Digital or Analog version on most components regardless of the component type. The superior DTCD performance of HC cable can outweigh the differences in filter types even with components that are not amplifiers.

BTW, these guidelines are different for the Sigma Series. In the Sigma Series I would definitely recommend the Sigma Digital cable.
Caelin Gabriel
President
Shunyata Research

There you go.

I followed the instructions he gave me as well and used them as I indicated. Different strokes, I guess.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing