Quality of a used cart

jsec

Aug 30, 2022
I don't have a lot of experience on how carts look like when getting close retipping. I don't have microscope so the only picture I'm able to take is with my phone.
What's your view on the following used Koetsu Rosewood cart, is it already past the point of unusable? To me it looks like it is badly beaten.

Attachments

• IMG_5386.jpg
    IMG_5386.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 40

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
It has clearly not been well looked after, and it's very dirty, but that doesn't mean it's worn out. You need someone with a suitable microscope to see the tip in detail, and particularly any wear facets. The gold painted plate under the tip has a wear mark which suggests that someone has been dropping the cartridge heavily on the record, so the suspension is likely in poor shape. The cartridge may be OK after a clean, but all the signs indicate that it's been neglected and even abused. It's eminently repairable, of course, at a price.

jsec

Aug 30, 2022
It has clearly not been well looked after, and it's very dirty, but that doesn't mean it's worn out. You need someone with a suitable microscope to see the tip in detail, and particularly any wear facets. The gold painted plate under the tip has a wear mark which suggests that someone has been dropping the cartridge heavily on the record, so the suspension is likely in poor shape. The cartridge may be OK after a clean, but all the signs indicate that it's been neglected and even abused. It's eminently repairable, of course, at a price.
Thanks Shuggle! How you would typically clean something like this, would it best just dry brush or with some sort of liquid?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Thanks Shuggle! How you would typically clean something like this, would it best just dry brush or with some sort of liquid?
Hi 'jsec',

I wouldn't attempt to try and clean such a cantilever and diamond in that condition (as it looks heavily baked on crud built up over some considerable amount of time) as you may end up breaking the cantilever or loosening the diamond from the cantilever (especially with it being a Koetsu!.

I would send it to Koetsu for a service and check over which may end up in a re-build or at least a new cantilever and diamond !

Reactions: jsec

jsec

Aug 30, 2022
Hi 'jsec',

I wouldn't attempt to try and clean such a cantilever and diamond in that condition (as it looks heavily baked on crud built up over some considerable amount of time) as you may end up breaking the cantilever or loosening the diamond from the cantilever (especially with it being a Koetsu!.

I would send it to Koetsu for a service and check over which may end up in a re-build or at least a new cantilever and diamond !
Thanks again Bonesy Jonesy! Great point, the cart need service for sure, let's see what Koetsu thinks about it. Pricewise I mean.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
Thanks again Bonesy Jonesy! Great point, the cart need service for sure, let's see what Koetsu thinks about it. Pricewise I mean.

It's worth speaking to Ana Mighty Sound as well - they have loads of experience with Koetsus, and they do set up the suspension properly. Of course, you don't get a cartridge back that's just like yours was when new, but you would get a very fine sounding thing that would be most enjoyable, for a reasonable fee.

Reactions: jsec and Solypsa

jsec

Aug 30, 2022
Thanks Shuggie, I will discuss the Koetsu service and maintenance with the local dealer here in Europe. As far as I understand the problems with the particular cart can't be resolved just by retipping, it requires checks for suspension as well as cantilever.

I went through some additional pictures of the cart and found more problems. It seems like part of the suspension (or something else metallic) has come through the bottom of the cart. @Shuggie it seems like you were right about the suspension and marks on the bottom. The metal thingy could be part of it, I'm just wondering how in earth this has happened.

Attachments

• IMG_5378.jpg
    IMG_5378.jpg
    869.8 KB · Views: 17

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Thanks Shuggie, I will discuss the Koetsu service and maintenance with the local dealer here in Europe. As far as I understand the problems with the particular cart can't be resolved just by retipping, it requires checks for suspension as well as cantilever.

I went through some additional pictures of the cart and found more problems. It seems like part of the suspension (or something else metallic) has come through the bottom of the cart. @Shuggie it seems like you were right about the suspension and marks on the bottom. The metal thingy could be part of it, I'm just wondering how in earth this has happened.
It looks a very poorly Koetsu and needs immediate surgery to bring it back to it's former glory to delight your ears 'jsec' !

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019

Beyond misuse or abuse it looks like it’s exposed to some corrosive liquid.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing