QOBUZ - The hidden gems

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Okay folks, I am going to try something off the beaten path. Something that hasn't been tried before and hopefully, something that will ensure a great discussion on the one thing that has alluded many a forum.

That being the actual "discussion" of the music!

What this thread is meant for is those rare gems (NOT just what you like to hear) that you discover on Qobuz that are worthy of someone else reading this thread to listen too.

A great recording.

Genre's do NOT matter in this thread. If you run across something that is simply the crème de la crème of audiophilia?

Post it here.

Caveat - It MUST be available on Qobuz.

Any history about the song or album, please share with us. Any history about the singers, players, special equipment or recording techniques, please share that with us.

This is NOT any of the, "What are you listening too" threads. This is a thread to where we actually share and discuss the music....the one thing that we all enjoy. Please be respectful and don't just post what you are listening too. If you want a post count? Move to one of the other threads.

This is a thread to find those hidden gems of music that we all can enjoy and talk about.

Tom

Reactions: AudioHR and flkin

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Off of the sister thread (Tidal Gems), I bring to you a stellar suggestion from @Gregadd

"Big Things Going Down" by Dan Palantsky.

This selection is also available on Qobuz. Enjoy...

Tom

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
Al DiMeola, Paco De Lucia, and John McLaughlin together live. A masterpiece in music production, not to mention the performances.
"Friday Night in San Francisco" has been available for quite some time and is a terrific achievement in SQ. Al Dimeola realised he had the master tapes for the Saturday night show. The original analogue sources were transferred to DSD, then mixed and mastered and made available on vinyl, CD, and hirez streaming. Outstanding sound on Qobuz.

Ad-Size-SNISF-33-LP.png

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
@Lowrider75 - SNISF is an outstanding album....and so fun to listen to!

I never would have thought to do this but I gotta hand it to my wife, Kimmie. (Kim).

She found a song that I have been yearning for and looking for for some time. Now, while that song did not sound as good on the big boy system as it did while we were watching Yellowstone on the LR system?

Check out the original soundtrack for Yellowstone by Brian Taylor.

I thought it would be ho-hum but as I listen? Wow.

Tom

Backpacker

Jul 12, 2020
Kerosene Hat by Cracker

Reactions: emoonie

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Alice In Chains, Unplugged. 44/16.

i stumbled onto this last spring doing my Quboz thing just trying stuff, never really knew Alice In Chains prior even though they are a Seattle band.

play it loud. with the lights dim. this is a 'you are all the way there' kinda musical thing. the music is really good, the performance and recording balance excellent. space, depth, bass, clear vocals. if you like alt/grunge at all you already know this.

over the last 6-9 months this has been my most listened to piece of music. it is a staggeringly wonderful recording in my system. honestly if it was 1/2" 15ips tape not sure it could sound any better.

i was so smitten with how this sounded in my system off Quboz through my Wadax dac and server, i went to the late July Seattle audio show and had any room i could, play it for me as it was so fresh in my aurial memory. alas; rooms and systems at the show could not approach my own system experience in any way. so can't say if others will be as in love as i have been. my love for this has not abated so far at all.

1671298877784.png

Last edited:

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Alice In Chains, Unplugged. 44/16.

i stumbled onto this last spring doing my Quboz thing just trying stuff, never really knew Alice In Chains prior even though they are a Seattle band.

play it loud. with the lights dim. this is a 'you are all the way there' kinda musical thing. the music is really good, the performance and recording balance excellent. space, depth, bass, clear vocals. if you like alt/grunge at all you already know this.

over the last 6-9 months this has been my most listened to piece of music. it is a staggeringly wonderful recording in my system. honestly if it was 1/2" 15ips tape not sure it could sound any better.

i was so smitten with how this sounded in my system off Quboz through my Wadax dac and server, i went to the late July Seattle audio show and had any room i could, play it for me as it was so fresh in my aurial memory. alas; rooms and systems at the show could not approach my own system experience in any way. so can't say if others will be as in love as i have been. my love for this has not abated so far at all.

View attachment 101654
Listening to it now.....EXCELLENT!

• Love

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
They also have a presence on Tidal.

Smilodon

Sep 27, 2020
Carmen Gomes Inc. - Don't You Cry

Rob Wasserman - Duets

Both a lot overlooked. Available at Qobuz as 16/44.1 (which is perfectly fine and enough). The C. Gomes a one mic recording.

Last edited:

emoonie

VIP/Donor
Aug 16, 2021
Monterey CA
Been to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in SF Golden Gate Park a dozen times. One of the mainstays is Buddy Miller. I try to catch him every time. It was a highlight one year with Robert Plant. He plays and shares production on his Band of Joy album, The first album I scored by Buddy was a collaboration with his wife Julie titled Written in Chalk. Found it in vinyl and have done a good needle drop. But like others have noted 16/44 on Qobuz (through Roon) is excellent. If you enjoy roots/Americana 174A20FE-EEB0-465D-9C3E-83DC7154CF9C.png

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
The album of choice here for me is "Jubilee" by Japanese Breakfast, released in 2021. The guitar solo at the end of "Posing for Cars" never fails to give me chills.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
I always liked the song Wild Horses but, never cared for Flying Burrito Brothers or Rolling Stones version.
One day did a search and found way more versions than I expected. These 2 get played often. Very different from each other which, is good as far as I am concerned.

Charlotte Martin on piano/vocal solo.
Druha Trava is a Czechoslovakian bluegrass band.

7612.jpg
dsc_0001--f49179.jpg

Last edited:

emoonie

VIP/Donor
Aug 16, 2021
Monterey CA
Off of the sister thread (Tidal Gems), I bring to you a stellar suggestion from @Gregadd

"Big Things Going Down" by Dan Palantsky.

This selection is also available on Qobuz. Enjoy...

Tom
WOW hard to get happy after that, true beauty and quite the picker! Patlansky Thank you for this.

Reactions: treitz3

emoonie

VIP/Donor
Aug 16, 2021
Monterey CA
Just becomes more and more resolute as the years go by. Wonder if I’ll ever hear it all. Vinyl (Doug Sax) and gold cd also excellent. Roon measures dynamic range @20 for cd download. Quobuz sounds as dynamic. AE1E4181-2618-41B3-83D9-EC756FE569BC.png

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Screenshot_20231104_212519_LUMIN.jpg

Tom

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Backpacker

Jul 12, 2020
There is a HiFi Partners playlist section on Qobuz. It has some really good stuff. Just listened to Heart doing Stairway to Heaven at the Kennedy Center. Led Zeppelin approved of this performance The living band members were in the audience

Reactions: Lowrider75

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
Some tunes from members of The Jazz Epistles including all star trumpeter, Hugh Masekela. Well known South African Jazz group but rarely heard here in USA.

Attachments

• IMG_0389.jpeg
    IMG_0389.jpeg
    669.3 KB · Views: 5

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing