PSE, meet the Typhon

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This is what they recommend you plug your amps into. It's called Cyclops.

one box to many ...

Rather than looking for a box in which to plug your amps (not recommended) why don't you leave your amps in the wall and plug a Typhon into each AC duplex

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Has anybody had success using a non Shunyata cord from wall to the T/T combo and is the Triton able to handle huge power amps without being limiting ?

If you have a single power circuit or dedicated line then the Triton is more than capable of handling the source components and amplifiers. Many people are using it in this way. If however, you have have two or more dedicated lines - you should use them. This is where a Triton for source equipment and a Cyclops for amps would make sense.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Rather than looking for a box in which to plug your amps (not recommended) why don't you leave your amps in the wall and plug a Typhon into each AC duplex

If money were no object then the ideal solution is an amp plugged into a Cyclops, and a Typhon plugged into the other Cyclop outlet. Unfortunately, money is an object for me, so I have two Pass X600.5 plugged into a Cyclops, connected via a Z Anaconda to an SR-Z1 outlet on a dedicated 10 gauge line. After I add my Typhon/Anaconda to the Triton for the source gear, I can start planning for a Typhon for the unused wall outlet for the amps.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Frank, thanks for the generous offer... I got a PM from Caelin and he advised to hold off on replacing the feet; he's probably working on something; so let's wait a bit.

Lloyd - no SOTA system here. I only like to talk about how the system can be improved. But now I can tell you and everyone else with great certainty, if you want to hear exactly what a properly recorded, non-hifi bass drum sounds like, listen to Britten's Sinfonia da Requiem on RR120 http://referencerecordings.com/RR_120_DETAIL.asp and marvel at its glory calling from the back of the hall, full-sized, palpable, commanding, with all the impact (especially the higher frequency leading edge), authority, and room dispersion you would expect - if your system simply gives you gut-wrenching bass in your face, you have a long way to go (I have been there). The Typhon alone didn't do all that - the Alpha DAC, Spectrals and MITs do most of it - but it accentuated the leading edge significantly plus the drum's location in space. You will also notice that the opening whack is actually closely-miked (for added drama?), unlike during the rest of the performance, and now more startling than ever before... a frightening experience...

Thanks...any other recordings you recommend show off this difference? I would get the Britten, except for some reason, I am not the biggest fan.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
If you have a single power circuit or dedicated line then the Triton is more than capable of handling the source components and amplifiers. Many people are using it in this way. If however, you have have two or more dedicated lines - you should use them. This is where a Triton for source equipment and a Cyclops for amps would make sense.

Thanks for the clarification , swings the T/T combo right back into contention for me . Can any other competent PC be used between the duo or is the Anaconda umbilical specific to the purpose ?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Got this off another forum , anything to it ............
"The plugs tend to wiggle loose - even when using Shunyata's own cables, and the Shuyata cable connection is too wide (or the socket too narrow) to fit two cables comfortably side by side in the sockets (so that 8 sockets becomes 4 in reality, unless you're happy to wedge your cable in). ". ......... User feedback requested please .

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
From the Shunyata site.....

The TYPHON was designed as a slave to the TRITON Power Distributor. It connects directly to the TRITON via a special cable called the TYPHON UMBILICAL CABLE. The performance of the TYPHON is dramatically affected by the quality of the umbilical cable.

The customer or dealer MUST select a TYPHON UMBILICAL CABLE for each unit purchased. The TYPHON does NOT come with an umbilical cable in the box since there are a variety of umbilical options. See the TYPHON UMBILICAL form for more specific information.

LENGTHS:
Generic Cable: 24"
VENOM HC: 30"
?TRON VIPER: 30"
?TRON ANACONDA: 36"

http://shunyata.com/images/products/PDFs/Typhon_Umbilical.pdf

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Thanks for the clarification , swings the T/T combo right back into contention for me . Can any other competent PC be used between the duo or is the Anaconda umbilical specific to the purpose ?

If you are working within a budget but still want what the Typhon can bring to a system, you don't need to max out the budget with power cords. The umbilical between the Triton and Typhon should have extremely low inductance and a large gauge for low DC resistance. It should not be a reactive type with ferrites or other such features. The tonal characteristics of the umbilical WILL affect the overall balance and performance of the Typhon. The Python umbilical is a very good choice at a reasonable price. The VIPER would be the minimum level in our line up that I would recommend allowing you to get the most from the Typhon.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
"The plugs tend to wiggle loose - even when using Shunyata's own cables, and the Shuyata cable connection is too wide (or the socket too narrow) to fit two cables comfortably side by side in the sockets (so that 8 sockets becomes 4 in reality, unless you're happy to wedge your cable in). ". ......... User feedback requested please .

Huh? I am using 7 outlets with my Triton...all with Anaconda zitrons. it's very tight on a duplex with 2 anaconda zitrons...but it's NOT a problem and they DON'T wiggle loose...

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com

I think that fellow ended up getting banned from the site. That is complete nonsense. Even our largest power cord, the Anaconda, fits just fine. And it is not a small power cord by any means. There may be some audiophile power connectors that are oversized that could cause problems but if they are a problem on a Hydra they would also cause a problem with any US duplex.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Any benefits to be had with regards to how they are sited ? I understand the recommendation is to isolate it preferably on a platform , was wondering about the side by side config v/s stacked config . This will have a bearing on the umbilical length , if I am not mistaken

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you are working within a budget but still want what the Typhon can bring to a system, you don't need to max out the budget with power cords. The umbilical between the Triton and Typhon should have extremely low inductance and a large gauge for low DC resistance. It should not be a reactive type with ferrites or other such features. The tonal characteristics of the umbilical WILL affect the overall balance and performance of the Typhon. The Python umbilical is a very good choice at a reasonable price. The VIPER would be the minimum level in our line up that I would recommend allowing you to get the most from the Typhon.

Do you have any alpha umbilical?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Any benefits to be had with regards to how they are sited ? I understand the recommendation is to isolate it preferably on a platform , was wondering about the side by side config v/s stacked config . This will have a bearing on the umbilical length , if I am not mistaken

The umbilical lengths are designed so that the units may be stacked or side by side.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

This was very informative and it clearly depicts to me yet again the trade-offs with in-series power conditioners, including the Triton (with its slight current-limiting effect, as shown). That is why I was skeptical and challenging with the Typhon, and ever since Caelin confirmed there is no catch, I had to try it - and I now think it is just truly brilliant.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
This was very informative and it clearly depicts to me yet again the trade-offs with in-series power conditioners, including the Triton (with its slight current-limiting effect, as shown). That is why I was skeptical and challenging with the Typhon, and ever since Caelin confirmed there is no catch, I had to try it - and I now think it is just truly brilliant.

Thank you Ack.

Just one point: The Triton has no series components in it other than wire and the buss system. It is a pure parallel design. The Typhon and Triton are similar except the Triton is designed to also distribute power to multiple outlets.

The difference you see in the DTCD analysis between the Hydra Model 8 and the Triton is the fact that the Triton has more wire in it than the Model 8. What this demonstrates is the capability of the DTCD Analyzer to measure differences in instantaneous current flow in wire and contacts that have exceedingly low values of resistance.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Confirmation that M.Fremer feeds his 458's via the Triton , so current limiting shouldn't be a worry !!!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Congratulations, Peter, on your Triton/Typhon combo!

A Triton for my digital front end will be my next upgrade, at the very latest when my 23-year old Tice Power Block II dies (I know that the Tice makes an incredible difference for the resolution of the Berkeley DAC). Now that you have succumbed to the 'magic', may I suggest a set of 6 Shunyata Dark Field Cable Elevators for your speaker cables? I found the proposition that it would help the sound somewhat dubious and I expected little, but I couldn't believe my ears when I actually used them. Blacker background from which the music emerges (sounds more like live in situations when the audience is quiet), more resolution, better perceived separation of bass from midrange -- an upgrade worth several grand in my view, for just $ 175.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing