PSE, meet the Typhon

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
One thing that's clearly missing in the Typhon's architecture is a second IEC inlet/outlet to let you connect multiple ones in parallel, w/o having to go to the wall. What I also welcome is the steel case; contrast with that silly aluminum of the twice-as-expensive and N-times more sensitive Pass XP-25 thing.

Peter

Caelin addressed this here a few days ago when someone asked if one Typhon is good is two better etc. Caelin said benefit has been derived using up to 5 maximum but not more

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Stillpoints on the speakers first. They are transformational to the speaker's performance. I think isolation is the first priority, power products secondary in the grand scheme of things. At least that is the way I look at it.
That is exactly what I did with ultra 5s...X1s, then sub then power, then transport. (The dac and pre are HRS M3s and nimbus/couplers.)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Peter

Caelin addressed this here a few days ago when someone asked if one Typhon is good is two better etc. Caelin said benefit has been derived using up to 5 maximum but not more

Yes, I have seen this... what I don't see is a way to daisy-chain them

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have monoblocks so I use one Typhon in each AC duplex where my amps are plugged

The change is like nothing I can ever describe. Hearing is believing as peter just discovered

As for other cables I have made a decision to go all Shunyata PC, SC and IC in my system.. I am a believer

Steve, are your monoblocks on separate AC circuits? My monoblocks go into separate AC duplex's but both are on the same 20 amp circuit so I'm wondering if that makes 2 Typhon's redundant. Or maybe not - does the Typhon actually work at the duplex level?

Steve Williams

Steve, are your monoblocks on separate AC circuits? My monoblocks go into separate AC duplex's but both are on the same 20 amp circuit so I'm wondering if that makes 2 Typhon's redundant. Or maybe not - does the Typhon actually work at the duplex level?

The Typhon works in parallel with whatever else is plugged into that circuit. Every line in my room is a dedicated circuit so yes each Typhon is plugged into a dedicated circuit, specifically each AC duplex where my amps are plugged. Once you sit down to listen make sure you're wearing your Dependz :) because your first impression is "wtf"

Seems to me one Typhon in your case is sufficient

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Parallel, Simple, Effective

I have a little over an hour on the Typhon and... years ago, I determined Power Conditioning was not for me - simply, most products are junk... in series, convoluted, they give you something and take away something else, you get the drift. Then I set my requirements: Parallel, Simple and Effective. The Equi=Tech isn't that, and I know it's effective, but it's still in series. So does such a thing as a P.S.E. exist? Hadn't found it.

The Typhon/Triton have garnered a lot of attention here and elsewhere. I don't care for long posts, so I'll be brief for now:

1. The dynamic range gain is phenomenal. Steve said ~4dBs??? Even more here; your tubes are showing their age??? :D
  2. Beyond a certain [high] volume level I always wanted to turn the volume down - now I want to turn it up; the distortion level is much lower
  3. The feeling of presence is phenomenal
  4. Instrument separation to yet another level
  5. More depth? Sure

This is gigantic improvement, and the manual says I have to let it settle in for 5 days? The question is how do I get another one in 5 days. More in 5 days...

PS: Shunyata "seals" a couple of the top screws with glue... that was funny !

Wow, wow, wow! You were fairly skeptical if not slightly antagonistic towards some of the Shunyata claims and now you appear to be the latest disciple. I'm happy it worked out for you Peter.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yes, always the skeptic, having seen so much hyperbole in the high end; and always "challenging" :) because of this, as well - I am the show-me type of audiophile. But in the end, I have no problem praising the good as well as putting down the bad.

Steve Williams

Peter

you only have a few hours on the Typhon. It's only going to get better. As Caelin said, there is so much upside to the unit with no downside

do you have the unit sitting on spikes or just the stock feet? You shouldn't just sit it on the carpet unless you use their SSF with the brass disks

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It's on a shelf, using the stock feet. I only have 1/4 inch clearance, so I can't use any other type of feet; and I don't have the budget, or level of insanity, to pay $700 per Stillpoint. So still not in the "lunatic" camp :D yet. BTW, who started this wave? Frank? Thank you Frank!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The Typhon works in parallel with whatever else is plugged into that circuit. Every line in my room is a dedicated circuit so yes each Typhon is plugged into a dedicated circuit, specifically each AC duplex where my amps are plugged. Once you sit down to listen make sure you're wearing your Dependz :) because your first impression is "wtf"

Seems to me one Typhon in your case is sufficient

Thanks, Steve, it sounds that way to me too.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
It's on a shelf, using the stock feet. I only have 1/4 inch clearance, so I can't use any other type of feet; and I don't have the budget, or level of insanity, to pay $700 per Stillpoint. So still not in the "lunatic" camp :D yet. BTW, who started this wave? Frank? Thank you Frank!

I don't blame you a bit. Know when to say no.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I don't blame you a bit. Know when to say no.

I do! C'mon Ack...man up! A quarter inch is all that stands between you and even more audio greatness!! ;) Ok...its just fun to watch SOTA systems like Ack's keep going up and up...particularly when you're not paying for it!

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

If you find a way to make them fit, I'll send you a set of the Shunyata spikes and discs free of charge, I'll even pay the shipping. I'm not going to use them. My dealer is dropping off a set of threaded inserts from Stillpoints made for the Typhon so I'm pretty much committed to the Ultra 5s under the Typhons.

Steve Williams

If you find a way to make them fit, I'll send you a set of the Shunyata spikes and discs free of charge, I'll even pay the shipping. I'm not going to use them. My dealer is dropping off a set of threaded inserts from Stillpoints made for the Typhon so I'm pretty much committed to the Ultra 5s under the Typhons.

That's the way I would do it also

I can't understand why people move these all over the underside of the component looking for the best place. It seems to me the best would be to use the four holes in the base where the component's feet are screwed into with the use of a Shuyata adapter

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Has anybody had success using a non Shunyata cord from wall to the T/T combo and is the Triton able to handle huge power amps without being limiting ?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Frank, thanks for the generous offer... I got a PM from Caelin and he advised to hold off on replacing the feet; he's probably working on something; so let's wait a bit.

Lloyd - no SOTA system here. I only like to talk about how the system can be improved. But now I can tell you and everyone else with great certainty, if you want to hear exactly what a properly recorded, non-hifi bass drum sounds like, listen to Britten's Sinfonia da Requiem on RR120 http://referencerecordings.com/RR_120_DETAIL.asp and marvel at its glory calling from the back of the hall, full-sized, palpable, commanding, with all the impact (especially the higher frequency leading edge), authority, and room dispersion you would expect - if your system simply gives you gut-wrenching bass in your face, you have a long way to go (I have been there). The Typhon alone didn't do all that - the Alpha DAC, Spectrals and MITs do most of it - but it accentuated the leading edge significantly plus the drum's location in space. You will also notice that the opening whack is actually closely-miked (for added drama?), unlike during the rest of the performance, and now more startling than ever before... a frightening experience...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing