Power Conditioner Power Cable

kdbrink

Aug 30, 2013
Just curious as to when using a power conditioner, is it more important for the source cable from the outlet to be of the highest quality or should the load side cable to the component be of high quality?

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
I don´t know which conditioner you use but with my PS Audio PS10 i hear a difference from PS10 to component, so i would say both is important, but from PS10 to component it is more important
Best
olivier

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
definately cable to outlet is most important

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I love it when the only two responses have opposite opinions; it’s so helpful.

Reactions: Bobvin

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
I love it when the only two responses have opposite opinions; it’s so helpful.
Probably the best answer would be try for yourself and see what YOU think.

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
Well i have tried different cables and this is the result in my system...perhaps in another setup it is different, i don´t know
I don´t have power amps connected, only preamp and source.
But i also think that this result is quite logical as the P10 regenerates power and the clean power must arrive the equipment with little loss

Last edited:
Reactions: rbbert

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Probably the best answer would be try for yourself and see what YOU think.
I didn't ask the question and don't need an answer. FWIW, I have done as you suggest and will continue to do so as I acquire new cables.

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
If you use a power conditioner, you should use the best power cord which you have from the wall outlet to it. Then you also should use other good cables from it to components.

Priority for the quality of power cords:

1. From the wall outlet to power conditioner;
2. To amplifier or pre-amplifier;
3. To the power amplifier;
4. To the analog source;
5. To the digital source.

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
If you use a power conditioner, you should use the best power cord which you have from the wall outlet to it. Then you also should use other good cables from it to components.

Priority for the quality of power cords:

1. From the wall outlet to power conditioner;
2. To amplifier or pre-amplifier;
3. To the power amplifier;
4. To the analog source;
5. To the digital source.
I don´t know where you did get your information from but i tested severeal cables (shielded, unshielded, solid-core, stranded, expensive, budget, diy, different gauges) from outlet to the PS Audio P10 and the differences were marginal but when i did the same thing from P10 to Preamp/DAC the differences were explicit

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I suspect it would make a difference if one were using a power regenerator as opposed to a transformer or other non-active component. I would also question putting the digital component at the bottom of the list; digital components might belong on a separate circuit with a dedicated cord designed for digital. There are many different philosophies with many different solutions.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
After listening to Michael Borresen, the Danish engineer/designer behind Raidho, Borressen, Aavik, Ansuz, I decided to use Ansuz power cables and distributor. Power is a foundational part to an audio system since ultimately that's what one actually hears from speakers. Borresen believes low inductance in both the power cables and distributor are very important to carrying power from the wall socket to the speakers with less noise and loss of dynamics. I use my best PC from the wall socket to the distributor and the next best to the preamp, or in my case to my EMM Labs DV2.

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
I don´t know where you did get your information from but i tested severeal cables (shielded, unshielded, solid-core, stranded, expensive, budget, diy, different gauges) from outlet to the PS Audio P10 and the differences were marginal but when i did the same thing from P10 to Preamp/DAC the differences were explicit
Maybe you use PS Audio P10. It converts AC-DC, then DC-AC. So I think you are right in your system. But if you use other power centers or power conditioners, you will understand me.

I use Echole Power Center and I can speak that from experience.

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
Maybe you use PS Audio P10. It converts AC-DC, then DC-AC. So I think you are right in your system. But if you use other power centers or power conditioners, you will understand me.

I use Echole Power Center and I can speak that from experience.
Sure this is correct, i was talking about active regenerators not passive conditioners like DC Filter
And i also know that a good distributor is really important if you use a passive one and then you also need a good cable from wall to distributor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing