Please Help 1210 problem! :(

Robmorris

Jan 7, 2013
Hi there,
I was just wondering if you could help me find the problem with my 1210mk2. The platter speeds up fine (33-45 and -8 to +8) however when i try to slow the platter down the platter does it's own thing and goes whatever speed it wants and a strange grinding like noise occurs? The tt will not stop either. Could this be something to do with the brake? I recently tried to repair the target bulb but i realised it was a bulb not an LED (silly me) so i taped over the wires to prevent shorting. However if it has shorted out could this cause this problem? - or would it cause any other problems.
Thanks for any advice and sorry for the inconvenience!

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
If speed is controlled by a potentiometer you might try getting a can of spray cleaner from Radio Shack and cleaning it. Spray in the little holes at back and around the shaft while spinning the knob (with the TT OFF and unplugged).

The noise is worrisome; mechanical? Can you isolate where it is coming from?

I do not know about the target bulb; if there is an optical link that could cause issues, but I think that would cause problems no matter what, not just one direction (unless the speed is maxed out?)

Robmorris

Jan 7, 2013
i noticed the strobe was flickering slightly and i did some research and found that this (combined with varying platter speeds) is often due to 3 components blowing when the target lamp shorts out - transistors Q2 and Q3 and Zenner Diode D3.
I am going to try replacing these and hopefully this should solve the problem - im having some trouble sourcing the parts atm though! Without paying £10 for a transistor on ebay
Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing