Pilium Audio Odysseus

bob82

Dec 12, 2019
Hi all, has anybody on here had first hand experience with the Pilium Audio Odysseus? I have been considering between the Odysseus and the Theseus (waiting on a spec sheet). I had an opportunity of listening to the more costlier Ares/Achilles and like what I heard.

Would the latter be better a value proposition relative to the integrated ? I am planning to use my DAC to drive the Theseus.

Regards

Bob

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
The dealer Bob will tell you the bigger the better. But the smaller one will also have the same taste of Pilium. So it really depends on your budget. Once decided just forget about anything higher level

b345t

May 10, 2020
Pilium is literally a 6 minute drive from my house, I wish I was playing with this level of components but they are too costly at the moment for me. It depends on your budget, why would they sell a cheaper amp that would play better than the higher tier?

bob82

Dec 12, 2019
The dealer Bob will tell you the bigger the better. But the smaller one will also have the same taste of Pilium. So it really depends on your budget. Once decided just forget about anything higher level

I am thinking about scaling down the gear hence why I have decided to go either way. I got a quote from my dealer and not much separates the 2. Theseus comes in a bit less though. Odysseus seems rather tempting although was told to go for the Leonidas before. The Theseus seems rather tempting as I would have an option of going with a preamp later.

I believe Pilium will be trying to bring up to 85- 90% conservatively of their higher end performance in their more smaller/compact units as my speakers wouldn't need a lot to drive them well especially in a small apartment/condo.

Last edited:

bob82

Dec 12, 2019
Pilium is literally a 6 minute drive from my house, I wish I was playing with this level of components but they are too costly at the moment for me. It depends on your budget, why would they sell a cheaper amp that would play better than the higher tier?
Compared amps are both similar price bracket. I have never expected the performance to be up to 90% of their higher echelons.

b345t

May 10, 2020
Compared amps are both similar price bracket. I have never expected the performance to be up to 90% of their higher echelons.
That's great. Well its the old saying, its the last 5-10% that you pay the most for. Since you are scaling down, I would 100% advise you to go with the small amp then. If you had future plans on going bigger and more expensive with your rig, it would make sense to take the bigger amp and have it ready for the next upgrade if you are going for bigger speakers etc. The Atria II spec at 87.5db at 4 ohms. The bigger amp wouldn't hurt obviously but you will be more than covered with the Odysseus with its massive 400W/4?.

bob82

Dec 12, 2019
That's great. Well its the old saying, its the last 5-10% that you pay the most for. Since you are scaling down, I would 100% advise you to go with the small amp then. If you had future plans on going bigger and more expensive with your rig, it would make sense to take the bigger amp and have it ready for the next upgrade if you are going for bigger speakers etc. The Atria II spec at 87.5db at 4 ohms. The bigger amp wouldn't hurt obviously but you will be more than covered with the Odysseus with its massive 400W/4?.
I agree on your logic. It is a big money game to achieve that last 5-10% that normal mortals can never afford. Certainly a bigger, powerful amp is nice thing to have but I guess it doesn't warrant that anymore.

Reactions: b345t

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Lot of wisdom in the phrase "less is more".

Reactions: bob82

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing