Picked up 2 pairs of audioquest midnight 2 hyperlitz speaker cables

gonzo

Mar 10, 2012
Massachusetts
They are 2 meter length, terminated in large spades and don't fit my current speakers or receiver. They came along with some other equipment I picked up. Are these better than large gauge zip cord? Should I change the connections on my speaker to accept these large spades. I don't know much about these cables, and googling them wasn't terribly helpful. Thanks for any suggestions. Norm

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good morning, Norm. If it were me, I would re-terminate the AQ's to fit the current speakers. If I'm not mistaken, those are older speaker wires with screw type connections that have both the L & R channel connected into one piece. This is just one man's opinion but I would shorten them a bit, which will remove any oxidation, then re-terminate with a more user friendly and upgraded banana or spade connector. I would recommend using Cardas solder or something equivalent to prevent any further oxidation and use heat shrink around any exposed areas. Congrat's on your new to you, very heavy and "Black snake-like" speaker cables.

To answer your question about the sound, I will have to refer you to someone with some actual experience. I have held a set in my hands at an audio event before and we were planning on hooking them up to a rig but time got the best of us that year. I did not ever hear them, unfortunately.

Oh, my manners. Welcome to the forum!

gonzo

Mar 10, 2012
Massachusetts
Thanks for the answer and the welcome too. I only recently discovered this web site, and I am sorry I hadn't come across it sooner. Thanks Norm

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing