Photos from the World's First Underwater Nuclear Explosion

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Those were decommissioned ships without anybody onboard. The test was to see what would happen if an A-bomb was used against a clustered carrier or battle group.

Trivia: The mutant sea creatures Sponge Bob and co. live on Bikini Bottom. A reference to the Bikini Atoll nuclear testing grounds. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Those were decommissioned ships without anybody onboard. The test was to see what would happen if an A-bomb was used against a clustered carrier or battle group.

Trivia: The mutant sea creatures Sponge Bob and co. live on Bikini Bottom. A reference to the Bikini Atoll nuclear testing grounds. :)

Ah. Thanks for those info, Jack. :) Never got into Sponge Bob but my whole family know everything about them, it's like they view me as as alien when I tell them Sponge Bob is so foreign to me. LOL

Daveski

Nov 2, 2012
Those were decommissioned ships without anybody onboard.

No humans. "Fifty-seven guinea pigs, 109 mice, 146 pigs, 176 goats, and 3,030 white rats had been placed on 22 target ships in stations normally occupied by people. Ten percent of the animals were killed by the air blast, 15% were killed by fireball radiation, and 10% were killed during later study. Altogether, 35% of the animals died as a direct result of blast or radiation exposure. The most famous survivor was Pig 311, who was found swimming in the lagoon after the blast and was brought back to the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. "

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ah the sponge that saved Viacom. :D Makes for a great case study, that one!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No humans. "Fifty-seven guinea pigs, 109 mice, 146 pigs, 176 goats, and 3,030 white rats had been placed on 22 target ships in stations normally occupied by people. Ten percent of the animals were killed by the air blast, 15% were killed by fireball radiation, and 10% were killed during later study. Altogether, 35% of the animals died as a direct result of blast or radiation exposure. The most famous survivor was Pig 311, who was found swimming in the lagoon after the blast and was brought back to the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. "

Where was PETA? :rolleyes:

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I remember the French nuclear tests in Polynesia but didn't realize that the US did so much nuclear testing in the Marshall Islands.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I remember the French nuclear tests in Polynesia but didn't realize that the US did so much nuclear testing in the Marshall Islands.

Neither did I. 21 more nuclear bombs in the 50s.

And interesting to read that "like the bomb, the bikini is small and devastating". :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
But as I recall there were servicemen on some of the ships nearby and they didn't expect the blast to be so big I think they did have health problems. There were also above ground tests in Nevada where they marched troops toward the blast. I think those guys really had problems. There was a big government dump of footage of these tests a few years ago that made alot of this stuff public, if not for the first time, more available.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing