Pfizer Seeks To Develop OTC Lipitor Product As Patent Runs Out

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As pharmaceutical giants begin to lose patients on their blockbuster money making drugs that have funded their empire for years, these manufacturers are now turning to ways to continue the profit streams by developing over the counter (OTC) versions of their products. Pfizer is no different as it hopes to introduce an OTC version of Lipitor, the world's best-selling drug, after it loses patent protection in November. The Wall Street Journal first caught wind of this days ago. (see link to full article below)

Selling a version of the drug to consumers without a prescription would allow Pfizer to retain some of the $11 billion in annual revenue that Lipitor has been generating.

The FDA stands guard however, and Pfizer would first have to convince the Food and Drug Administration that consumers could take the drug without a doctor's supervision.

That will probably be difficult. Merck failed three times to win the agency's approval for over-the-counter versions of Mevacor, which, like Lipitor, is a statin. Bristol-Myers Squibb also failed to obtain approval for an over-the-counter version of Pravachol, another statin.

Prescription-to-OTC switches have been rare in recent years, but some have been commercially successful, including Johnson & Johnson's (JNJ) launch of an over-the-counter version of allergy drug Zyrtec after Pfizer's prescription version lost patent protection, as well as Merck's allergy pill Claritin, which it inherited through its acquisition of Schering-Plough.

Merck's Claritin OTC generated $401 million in sales for 2010. In comparison, annual sales of the prescription version of Claritin once exceeded $3 billion before the drug lost U.S. patent protection nearly a decade ago.

Pfizer spokesperson Raymond F. Kerins Jr. stated:

"We can confirm that we have strategic plans in place for Lipitor's loss of exclusivity and will comment no further at this time."

In the past, the F.D.A. advisers have been concerned that over-the counter versions of statins could not be used safely, that some patients who did not need the drugs would take them.

By the end of next year, 7 of the 20 top selling medications will lose their patent protection, making way for much cheaper generic or OTC versions. This is a godsend for patients, and a serious concern for the pharmaceutical industry which depends so much on high incomes for research and development.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Given the significant side effects OTC would appear to be dangerous as well as self diagnosis.

Steve Williams

It is a huge money maker for Pfizer so it will be interesting to see if it goes OTC. Heck look at Advil (Motrin) and Aleve (Anaprox), Nexium, Zantc etc which were all prescription drugs which went OTC by halving the standard prescription dose

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The article is puzzling to me. I thought Clariton went OTC because a small insurance company sued them saying that their claim that it was as harmless as sugar pills meant that it was perfectly safe and didn't need to be under prescription. The drug maker fought that tooth and nail, presumably due to the worry that without insurance people would not consume as much, eventually losing the battle and going that way. Now they say it is due to patent expiration? Why would that impact how it is sold? It is not like insurance companies only pay for patented drugs.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Can't some people sustain liver damage from, unlike Advil, etc, normal doses of statins? And doesn't the effective dose of statins vary significantly from patient to patient due to things the patient simply can't self-diagnose like "It still hurts?" Taking the doctor out of this equation sounds pretty reckless. I hope our government is not that irresponsible; I wish our drug companies weren't so self-serving.

Tim

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Can't some people sustain liver damage from, unlike Advil, etc, normal doses of statins? And doesn't the effective dose of statins vary significantly from patient to patient due to things the patient simply can't self-diagnose like "It still hurts?" Taking the doctor out of this equation sounds pretty reckless. I hope our government is not that irresponsible; I wish our drug companies weren't so self-serving.

Tim

Not a doctor but if there is one drug I would NOT take besides anything corticoid is statin... Now they are trying to develop a statin-lite .. as for irresponsible, I would not underestimate the lobbying power of big-pharma ...

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
This is an incredibly bad drug. Go do the detailed research.

My cardiologist (who had to quit practicing because he had to have a quintuplet bypass - he was hugely overweight) told me that if it were up to him, he would put it in the drinking water !!! In fact, all of my cholesterol numbers were well below the desired levels -- my highest level was 185 and usual was 165 --- and yes, all of my other associated numbers were excellent as well. But he still insisted I take the drug.

By taking this drug, my cholesterol got to 109 which is dangerously low and has even further side effects. (I quit taking this stuff over a year ago!)

IMO, this is a really dangerous move!!!

Steve Williams

Not a doctor but if there is one drug I would NOT take besides anything corticoid is statin... Now they are trying to develop a statin-lite .. as for irresponsible, I would not underestimate the lobbying power of big-pharma ...

Frantz my friend, I usually agree with you on just about everything but on the use of a statin your comment is simply unfounded. A corticoid (or corticosteroid) is NOT a statin

Steve Williams

This is an incredibly bad drug. Go do the detailed research.

My cardiologist (who had to quit practicing because he had to have a quintuplet bypass - he was hugely overweight) told me that if it were up to him, he would put it in the drinking water !!! In fact, all of my cholesterol numbers were well below the desired levels -- my highest level was 185 and usual was 165 --- and yes, all of my other associated numbers were excellent as well. But he still insisted I take the drug.

By taking this drug, my cholesterol got to 109 which is dangerously low and has even further side effects. (I quit taking this stuff over a year ago!)

IMO, this is a really dangerous move!!!

BTW, why do you say a cholesterol of 109 is dangerously low. Low for what. What was your LDL, HDL and triglycerides

Chuck

you too are incorrect.

I simply cannot understand why your doctor started you on a lipid lowering agent when your lipids were normal

FWIW, I have taken Lipitor for the past 8-10 years with absolutely no deleterious side effects

Again a STATIN is not a STEROID

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Frantz my friend, I usually agree with you on just about everything but on the use of a statin your comment is simply unfounded. A corticoid (or corticosteroid) is NOT a statin
I know Statin is NOT a corticoid. I meant that I would not take Statin NOR corticoid ... My problem with statin is the effect on the liver and by extension the kidneys.. My problems with corticoids are of a different nature ..

Steve Williams

Frantz

Do you think that everyone who takes a statin has impaired liver function. If that's the case I'd say don't take an aspirin because it might impair clotting mechanism and cause you to bleed. I would ask you what you would do if your lipids were so elevated that you are a risk for a heart attack. Do you not take statins because you worry about possible impaired liver function and risk a fatal heart attack. To me the answer is obvious.

I am also wondering what you mean by direct extension the kidneys. It just doesn't add up my friend

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
There are a few incongruities being presented.

1. The doctor must have had a bias toward using statins, considering his own personal health situation. Prescribing a drug for a non-existent condition is unwise.

2. Just because a pharmaceutical company is attempting to develop an OTC variant of a prescription med, it does not necessarily follow that they will get FDC approval.

3. A cholesterol of 109 is not necessarily dangerously low. As Steve said, it's how it partitions out that is more relevant.

I don't say anything in tube audio threads because I know very little about tube audio. I hope you can see where I'm going with this.

Lee

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Frantz

Do you think that everyone who takes a statin has impaired liver function. If that's the case I'd say don't take an aspirin because it might impair clotting mechanism and cause you to bleed. I would ask you what you would do if your lipids were so elevated that you are a risk for a heart attack. Do you not take statins because you worry about possible impaired liver function and risk a fatal heart attack. To me the answer is obvious.

I am also wondering what you mean by direct extension the kidneys. It just doesn't add up my friend

I've been on Lipitor for over 15 years. I'm in shape and eat pretty carefully (my sister used to run cholesterol/diet studies at Columbia). My LDLs w/o Lipitor 'want' to be over 200. My Dad had a heart attack and triple bypass surgery.

Every doctor I ever spoken to, including MD cousins (who at least for me I think put aside profit motive), recommend a statin for me. They say the evidence is overwhelmingly net positive in favor of their use for cholesterol/heart issues. According to my longtime doc, liver issues would show up in blood/urine tests -- I should not worry about this if no problem is indicated. I've had a couple of problems though. Started out on 20mg, a low dose -- tolerated it just fine for a few years, then had an odd sensation of my leg being weak while working out. After some testing, knocked the dosage down to 10mg where I've been at for over 10 years.

Recently began experiencing some of pains in my right leg -- felt points of pressure in couple of locations, these would move around, but were generally in two areas. Not debilitating, but persistent. As per my docs advice, I stopped the Lipitor as a test. These pains seems to have disappeared though it's only been a few weeks. We'll see.

Assuming the Lipitor is the cause, I'm in a bit of a quandary. Statins clearly lower my cholesterol level, and that's evidentially a good thing, particularly for someone with a family history of heart disease. I'll be talking to my doctor next week -- whether we try a different statin or what, we'll see.

Steve Williams

Bob

Leg muscle discomfort is a reported side effect of statins and is EASILY cured by taking OTC CoEnzyme Q10 in a dose of 200-300 mgs per day. Easily purchased at Costco.

Everything else you stated is right on. Your doctor gave you proper advice

I would have stayed on Lipitor and started CoQ10

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
You know, I was taking CoQ10 for quite awhile but think I'd gotten less vigilant about it. Did it because I was referred to a study about it, though not by my doc. Don't think I've ever brought up CoQ10 w/him. Will do so.

Any reported long term effects of the leg issue you know about if taking (or not) CoQ?

Thanks Steve.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
He's a gastroenterologist. Been seeing him for many, many years as have a couple other members of my family. Have actually never seen a cardiologist, though talk to my cousin who is one fairly regularly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing