Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I am seriously considering the purchase of a Pacific DAC. The only thing holding me back is my understanding that the DHT tube filaments are constantly energized, even when the DAC is in standby. I’m not a tube expert, but I believe this does reduce the life of the tubes. I’ve also read the DAC does not have an ON/OFF switch so the only way to defeat this feature is to unplug the DAC or remove tubes when the unit is not in use. For any who have used the Pacific can you confirm whether this is true or not?

If it is true how are you dealing with it? Are you keeping your expensive DHT tubes energized all the time, unplugging the DAC when not in use, removing the tubes when not in use, replacing your expensive DHTs with Inexpensive DHTs when not in use or something else?
DHTs are used at 5 to 10% of rated capacity, so not an issue. Bigger issue is the rectifier burning at full power output. This is easily over come with buying a cheap $15 solid state recti or the great Shuguang 274b recti for $20.

Yes, you can shut down the dac with switch at the back. Pretty sure I posted pictres of the power switch months ago. The Pac is much better than the already great GG. GG2 is better than GG as well.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Better tone more drive more energy better timing better decay better swells just does it all better except slightly less in detail but that does not affect the big picture at all. However I want to listen to another Pac as when Lukasz starts off on something new his models develop over time.

Therein lies the problem.

There is so much internal variation over time that one B7 will not sound the same as another. Same is true of GG and so on and so forth.

It is also true to state that one person's better isn't another's. So some people will simply prefer older and much less expensive variants.

Another issue is that simply rolling the valves will create a bigger difference in output sound than differences in DAC boards and caps etc.

That's my opinion.

Given that I find it easy to see some people preferring any particular variant over another, almost regardless of thee price.

It simply isn't clear cut.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was not comparing on price, for my purchase. I was comparing generally. And we rolled valves on both. The GG was better on all aspects, except slightly less detailed, irrespective of valves.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Therein lies the problem.

There is so much internal variation over time that one B7 will not sound the same as another. Same is true of GG and so on and so forth.

It is also true to state that one person's better isn't another's. So some people will simply prefer older and much less expensive variants.

Another issue is that simply rolling the valves will create a bigger difference in output sound than differences in DAC boards and caps etc.

That's my opinion.

Given that I find it easy to see some people preferring any particular variant over another, almost regardless of thee price.

It simply isn't clear cut.

While this is/was the case with older models B7/GG where Lukasz was on constant quest for squeezing more juice from his developments.
As this is topic about Pacific DAC I believe it would be fair to notice that this IS NOT the case with Pacific DAC. Where do I get this from? From Lukasz himself as I spoke with him about this last week at his premises in Warsaw.

Cheers;
G

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I was not comparing on price, for my purchase. I was comparing generally. And we rolled valves on both. The GG was better on all aspects, except slightly less detailed, irrespective of valves.
Ked was that comparison done recently?
Asking as @Alrainbow opinion on this matter is in many ways different to yours and he had PAC at his place for quite some time to do the detail comparison on DACs and on top huge valve shootout...

Cheers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It was done twice, though with the same Pac. I don't expect anyone else with these two models to hear differently, it was quite night and day would be obvious to all. Wasn't a case of slight preference here and there... Which is why I need to listen to a different Pac implementation to confirm

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
I still have to like the Pacific. I and a few others I know much prefer the GG. So I really need to visit a couple of you guys who found the big upgrade to see why the Pacific is sounding good. A visit is due to AQ anyway to continue listening to the Alieno via digital and now the AF3 premium
I still haven't my AF3P , but it should come this month. As soon as things are settled you may come, i have also some more new stuff/turntable.

Reactions: bonzo75

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
While this is/was the case with older models B7/GG where Lukasz was on constant quest for squeezing menstein on horns.ore juice from his developments.
As this is topic about Pacific DAC I believe it would be fair to notice that this IS NOT the case with Pacific DAC. Where do I get this from? From Lukasz himself as I spoke with him about this last week at his premises in Warsaw.

Cheers;
G
In addition, Pac is a totally different design to GG. Chip vs R2R, Constant current source for DHT, Heater selector switch, and many other details.

To me, its clear the Pac is better. I heard it in Al's system and with the demo unit we had at home, Dartzeel and a Stenheim. I will also hear it in Leicht on horns.

Reactions: marslo

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I needed less than 2 hours to make decision to get Pacific DAC.
Before Lukasz came to my place with PAC SE I was sceptical, I enjoyed my beloved B7 with Duelund Cast Pio for last 3 years or so, equipped with RR and last DSD board.
Now Pac is another level of transparency , resolution and bass control which result in better imaging and 3D soundstage.
Decay and saturation are maybe less pronounced than with B7 but the sound of PAC is more natural and clearly better, at least in my system and for my ears.
Native DSD from Fonè with FinalTouch Callisto usb cable is a jaw dropping experience but the most impressive is the progress of PCM hirez reproduction, before Lukasz introduced R2R board it was a weak point of my B7.
Now PCM is night and day compared to R2R board.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Cool maybe I will take my GG1 to one of you guys where it works or Lukasz.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Marslo, I agree. He hit it out of the park with PCM, while DSD remains at the same extremely high level. I also agree that there might be a touch less saturation, but decay is still the same to my ears.

Transparency is up a couple notches and the thing not often talked about is how the oredr of tube prefeerence has changed vs the GG. Pac lets you KNOW what is the best tube for your ears. Guessing game over!

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Cool maybe I will take my GG1 to one of you guys where it works or Lukasz.
Liecht plan is for first weekend in Nov. Then we do stenheim sometime after that...ask Goran. U need to hear his GG2 as well...trust me! His GG2 will likely will be in Triesen as well.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Leicht plan is for first weekend in Nov. Then we do stenheim sometime after that...ask Goran. U need to hear his GG2 as well...trust me! His GG2 will likely will be in Triesen as well.

Yes I will. First weekend I am at Gian's

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
While this is/was the case with older models B7/GG where Lukasz was on constant quest for squeezing more juice from his developments.

Cheers;
G

I assume you are referring to the Pacific's internals and that they are not going to change over time.

If that is so, Kedar need not wait for Pacifics to get optimised and we can assume Lucasz thinks he has done the job. The Pacific is what it is, like it or not.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

Hm.

So you reckon your GG would sound better than the Pacific with the worst valve choice for it against the best valve choice in the Pacific in Greg's setup?

Greg needs to send it to me and I will tell him if it is shite or not, LOL. If he didn't live on the other side of the country I'd check it out but I do have faith in your ears to about 75-80% of trustworthiness based on experience of what you like. So in some sense I don't need to.

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Yes referring to Pacific internals.
AFAIK PAC was optimized during end of last year/beginning of this and since the shipments started they are all alike...

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
LoL

Pac is a monster. Trust me on that. It impressed four indstry ears who listened to it. AFAIK, there are about 80 of them in the wild.

I have PMs and direct in person quotes from all 4, but I cant share publicly without authorization. I dont see a need to...AL said it best, just like Marslo.

Reactions: Golum

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
[QUOTE="User211, post: 534905, member: 5966"}

So you reckon your GG would sound better than the Pacific with the worst valve choice for it against the best valve choice in the Pacific in Greg's setup?

Greg needs to send it to me and I will tell him if it is shite or not, LOL. If he didn't live on the other side of the country I'd check it out but I do have faith in your ears to about 75-8o% of trustworthiness based on experience of what you like. So in some sense I don't need to.[/QUOTE]

I know 4 other people along with me who have the same opinion. By worst, you cannot put a valve that does not work, i.e. distorts, sounds wimpy, like the Lampi 45 does sometimes in some systems, or does nothing like the 242 in yours. But if you put, taking your system as an example, any of the valves that you feel like listening to, i.e. Cunningham, Lampi and EML 45s, RK 300b, PX25, etc then yes, my opinion will hold true in your system.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I hear it the same as Ked - prefer my GG2 to Greg's PAC. Yes the PAC has more detail, but to my ears this comes at the expense of musicality. I was quite glad really - saves the cost of upgrading!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing