Opinions On Tidal Audio Piano G2 For an 18' x30' Room

Cadguy

Jan 13, 2022
I am looking to make a big upgrade in speakers and I was wondering if the Piano G2 is too small for my 18' x 30' room. I have a Bel Canto Black ACI 600 integrated amp, 300 watts/ch 8 ohms, 600 watts/ch 4 ohms. I listen at levels of 70-80 dBs at most but a lot of the music I listen to has significant low bass. On the other end of the frequency spectrum some people opine that Tidals (and Vimbergs) can be a bit too prominent in the upper midrange and treble. I prefer a full-bodied sound with a wall to wall sound stage.

Last edited:

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Hi Cadguy, I used the Piano G2 in a room that is 14' X 20' X 8'. They will work in your larger room but you will need subwoofer(s) as did I (JL Fathom F113). It should be very nice - almost like small monitors with subs. The Contriva G2 would be a better match for your room size if you don't want to use subs. But, based on the info above, I think you should check out the Vimberg Tonda (without diamond tweeter)...its price is in the same ballpark as the Piano G2 and may suit your tastes the best. Try to check them out side by side if you can!

Reactions: sujay

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Hi Cadguy. I own the Contriva G2 in a similar room. it would be a very recommended option for you. I had the Piano Cera before and it was really small for the room.
my room has the same wide as yours and is 40% longer.

Cadguy

Jan 13, 2022
Thankyou Kenc and joaovieira for your very helpful responses. Its great to hear from actual owners of these fine speakers and I will take your advice and seek out the Tondas and Contriva G2s.

Reactions: joaovieira

Cadguy

Jan 13, 2022
I wonder if anyone can say how Magico S5 mkii would compare to the Tondas? It seems that some people find the S5mkii tweeter too be rather bright sounding and the bass to be a bit lean. I've read that the Tondas and S5 mkii both can have a lean overall presentation. As I mentioned above my room is 18' x 30' also the back of the room has doorways to 3 other rooms as well as a staircase.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I own Magico S3 MkIIs and would not characterize their sound as lean (driven by a Gryphon integrated). Magico bass is very articulate (which I value) but does not exhibit the bass 'slam' of some ported speakers. If you haven't already, you might want to check out Stereophile's reviews (with measurements) of the S5 MkII and the Tonda's little brother, the Mino. I think the S5 MkIIs would be a good fit for your room.
Perhaps BlueFox, an S5 MkII owner, or Elberoth, who has owned them, will chime in.

Last edited:

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
If I may, to my way of thinking Contriva's are a forever speaker. If they remain at the top of your shortlist I would reach out to my friend and colleague, Christopher Thornton at Artisan Fidelity who recently received his G2s.

Reactions: Steve Williams

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Hi Gleeds
You won’t regret getting the G2.
I’ve been a happy owner for 6 years now.
Never thought on trying any other speaker

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing