One billion youth suffer permanent hearing loss from excessively loud headphone listening

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Will the next generation of high end audio consumers — today‘s youth — be around if most of them suffer from permanent hearing loss due to excessively loud headphone listening? A new study reveals a billion youth are already affected and that number may be fast rising.

As someone in his early 60s who has listened to high end audio for 35 years and still enjoys good hearing, the best advice I can give everyone is:

1. TURN IT DOWN: if you listen at average volumes that exceed 75 dB, that’s already too loud. At your listening chair, average volumes should never exceed 75 dB.

2. AVOID HEADPHONE LISTENING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE: unfortunately it’s too easy to blast your eardrums with loud music through headphones. Limit headphone use as much as possible.

3. AVOID LISTENING TO MUSIC IN HIGH AMBIENT NOISE ENVIRONMENTS: this includes planes, trains, cars, and outdoor environments where there’s a lot of ambient noise. Unfortunately, this is exactly the opposite of what most people do. They blast their car stereo so the whole neighborhood is vibrating. Cars are very high ambient noise environments, often > 80 dB. It’s the worst place on earth to enjoy quality music. On planes, if you must listen to music, use noise cancelling headphones. I find Bose headphones very effective. I often use mine without music just to get rid of the +85 dB engine noise that plagues airline cabins. It cuts down on the noise by +20 dB.

Your ears are a miracle of biology. Over its most acute range, the eardrum moves less than the width of a hydrogen atom in hearing the faintest sounds. Think about how sensitive an instrument it is. It can be easily destroyed. Once destroyed, there’s no hope of recovery.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
And get a pair of custom in-ear hearing protection earplugs for concerts that amplify the instruments. For home, use something like the decibel X app to get a sense of what is truly loud.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing