Nordost vs Nordost 2

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
Can anyone explain the difference between the old Nordost and the newer Nordost 2.

I´m thinking about Frey vs frey 2 and Heimdall vs Heimdall 2

Pierre

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
One difference is that in the original lineup some of the models had unique sound qualities that did not necessarily offer continuous improvements as you went up in price. With some of the original models you would select which one to go with based upon matching to your system strengths and your sonic preferences. The new series 2 lineup is much more consistent as you move up between models, with each step providing audible improvements. In general the series 2 models have a richer tonality along with improved dynamics. For example the original Valhalla had a reputation for being exceptionally revealing and detailed, but in some systems it was felt to have a lean tonal balance. The new Valhalla 2 has a much fuller and richer perspective, while maintaining superb detailing without sounding thin. Of course, YMMV.

Enoch Root

Oct 8, 2014
Tiverton, RI
The Norse 2 series has more body than the original. Yet the resolution, speed and clarity are not lost. If anything, the Heimdall 2 is better at everything that the original did well without seeming at all "subtractive."

I have a mix of Heimdall 2 and Frey 2 products in my system and I could not be happier. ( Unless I were gifted with some V2:rolleyes:)

DavT

Sep 6, 2014
I have Nordost Frey 2m speaker cables. Last fall had the chance to change to the new Frey 2 that were a dealer demo for 400.00 also, 2m. I demo'd them for a few weeks and really could not tell much difference in my system, others also did not notice a difference so I kept the original Frey's, ordered a few pizza's, a nice bottle of scotch and some SACD's with the 400.00. System is MSB Analog dac, Herron M1A, Verity Parsifal Encore and all the cabling except the speakers is Audience AU24 Se and power chord SE.

Last edited:

DavT

Sep 6, 2014
I think that a lot of what we hear has "Better" is actually "different". Human hearing is amazing in its ability to detect change and we can easily hear change from going from one to another, this is one of the reasons why blind testing can be difficult to do. That being said, I think Nordost makes great cables and I also think every system deserves great cables. My biggest criticism of the cable industry is that the research, materials and production costs do not justify many of the prices asked.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing