Noise Cancelling AUDIOPHILE-Worthy headphones under $500

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I travel a lot and am looking for a good sounding Noise-Cancelling Headphone. It will be used with a Portable Amp (The fabulous iFi iDSD micro)

Noise cancellation is important but Sound quality is the primary criterion. I am interested in the PSB, just based on their more than decent speakers, haven't heard it .. Which one would you recommend ? Would like to say under $500...

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I Have a pair of Etymotics research and they are very good.. I no longer can tolerate IEM (In Ears Monitors) ... :(

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I have been using Bose noise cancelling headphones for years. While not "audiophile" they have worked beautifully and sound very nice hooked up to my ipad which is full to the gills with some of my favorite albums. I wouldn't travel anywhere let alone across country or internationally without them. They make air travel palatable.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I have been using Bose noise cancelling headphones for years. While not "audiophile" they have worked beautifully and sound very nice hooked up to my ipad which is full to the gills with some of my favorite albums. I wouldn't travel anywhere let alone across country or internationally without them. They make air travel palatable.

All reviews point toward the Bose QC (?)-25 as being the best in term of noise cancelling and being OK in term of sound quality ... The price is good at <$300.. I mat try them out and compare them to the PSB ... Any other ?

das

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2010
www.soundstagenetwork.com
I've been using the PSB M4U 2s for a long, long time. They're great. Bose has better noise cancelling. But PSB has, by far, the best balance of sound and cancelling. Plus, PSB has three modes -- passive, active, active with noise cancelling -- which means you can use them multiple ways, including when the batteries run out. Paul Barton did an outstanding job designing them.

Doug Schneider
www.soundstage.com

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
When it comes to long distance flights, I will sacrifice some fidelity for the better noise cancelling! I will have to look into the PSB headphones to take a listen!

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
When it comes to long distance flights, I will sacrifice some fidelity for the better noise cancelling! I will have to look into the PSB headphones to take a listen!

The Bose QC-25 is excellent for flights and good sound. It's not a perfectionist sound for home use, but it's very well balanced for bass-mids-treble and the usual audiophile harmonics and that's more than adequate for flight cabins.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
ve the PSB and it is a good headphone but it sucks in term of noise cancelling ... I mean there is no discernable differenvce when ANC is off to my ears .. :(

I am getting the Bose :(

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
My daughter has a set of the Sony MDR-1RNC phones. They have very good sound quality and excellent noise cancelling. I've used them on a flight and they cancel as effectively as the Bose QC-25. When we tried them in the shop there was a minisystem booming away on the next stand. On turning the NC on, the minisystem completely disappeared. Very convincing.

I currently use a set of blackbox M14 noise-cancelling phones. (Current model is M10.) They use technology from Phitek, who make noise-cancelling headphones that airlines offer in first class. I prefer them because they use a AAA cell instead of a built-in battery. The cell lasts for weeks of daily commuting, and I always have a spare cell in my bag for my cordless mouse anyway.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing