New Synergistic Research Carbon Tuning Discs

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Based on comments here and on Agon, I put in an order with the Cable Co. for the new HFC contact enhancer, hoping they had some in stock. They don’t but said a shipment is expected next week. Their understanding is that a reorganization is in process, which if true suggests a Chapter 11 filing.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Based on comments here and on Agon, I put in an order with the Cable Co. for the new HFC contact enhancer, hoping they had some in stock. They don’t but said a shipment is expected next week.
I did too. I was told they are expecting to receive a shipment in 10 days. We shall see.

Back to the discs...

I had mentioned that a Gold disc appeared to be missing from one of my boxes. My dealer kindly sent out a replacement. Last night I was putting the boxes away so I thought I'd stick my finger through the foam to try once again to find the missing disc. It popped out. I'll be sending that one back to my dealer.

I placed a Purple on my Shunyata Sigma ethernet as it leaves my EtherRegen. At the other end I placed an ECT. I am doing the same thing with my Shunyata Omega USB cable. I really like what I'm hearing.

Oh yeah and returning the Gold discs to the speaker cables as they enter my speakers restored the magic lost from placing them under the heads of my speakers. The leading edge of transients sound as good as ever.

I am not sure I'll be ordering any more boxes. I'm quite pleased with the benefit from two boxes.

andynotadam

Feb 28, 2022
These things are powerful to be sure. I have three boxes for 12 discs in a fairly complex streaming system. Just changing the placement of a single gold disc from the AC cable feeding my BHK preamp to the AC cable to the JS-2 LPS feeding both my Roon Nucleus+ and my Matrix X SPDIF changed the sound from way too bass heavy and closed in on top to "just about right."

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I don’t know the truth about HFC, but I do know that there’s a lot of nonsense on Audiogon forums, including of the kind regularly expressed and tolerated there that is tacitly supported in the first half of your last sentence. The good thing about WBF is that serious discussions occur here. If the Cable Co. says they’ve been in touch, whatever the eventual outcome, I take it as good coin until proven otherwise.

Now, back to the topic of this thread…

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
You can tell right away when they are removed no need to wait a day or two. Probably should try them, you'd be surprised.

ozzy

Reactions: kennyb123

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Just a thought, but after using these discs for awhile, has anyone taken them out, waited a day or so and listened to their system again? I do that with tweaks which is why I have almost none in my system other than one set of CMS footers and power cords.
I’ve thus far only done that incrementally with each application. I have felt no need to test myself, which is what you are essentially proposing. As I see it, each disc costs $50. That’s actually less than I spend on coffee a month. If the price cut into my wallet more I’d give them more of a workout. Thankfully I’m not alone in evaluating these things. I have the feedback from others to compare against my own.

The cool thing about these discs is that every day since adding them, I've been left surprised by how much more organic familiar music sounds. I just sat in my listening room for the first time today. When I unmuted my DAC, a track from "Kind of Blue" started playing. My reaction was "you gotta be kidding me." The only change other than the discs since I last listened to this is that the REF10 is no longer providing a reference to my DAC and switch (since it was sent out for an upgrade). The sound quality should have been worse than I recalled and yet it's better.

Also that you ended up having almost no tweaks in your system, it could mean that your approach isn’t optimum for tweaks that bring a much smaller magnitude of improvement than the CMS footers.

Reactions: Ted Denney III

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
If Ted wants to send me a box, I will try them
Who are you such that Ted should do such a thing? I don't mean that in a derogatory way. I'm just wondering if Ted normally just sends you stuff.

Reactions: Ted Denney III

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
No Ted doesn’t send me anything. I have too much on my plate now with surgeries, review stuff and golf to spend much time doing much else. I will just read what you guys post and wonder how these things work. I will say that I have enough experience with tweaks that improvements or changes I thought I heard were neither after removing them and over long time listening. I have a drawer full of some of that stuff. By all means guys, have at it. I was just wondering ifany here tried taking them out. No need for anyone to contact me about this.

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
This guys wants it free. As is FREE Free. No money

Each of us have a reaction score in our profile. I think this is a measure of how well liked our posts are. Marty , who posted above, seems to post a lot that people find valuable. His reaction score was around 99% of his number of posts. Mine was like around 66%. It was like 17% for that fellow who wanted Ted to send him some. Not sure I have interpreted these numbers correctly though.

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
Each of us have a reaction score in our profile. I think this is a measure of how well liked our posts are. Marty , who posted above, seems to post a lot that people find valuable. His reaction score was around 99% of his number of posts. Mine was like around 66%. It was like 17% for that fellow who wanted Ted to send him some. Not sure I have interpreted these numbers correctly though.
That was directed to the guy who requested free stuff. Not the @auricgoldfinger

Reactions: kennyb123

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Just a thought, but after using these discs for awhile, has anyone taken them out, waited a day or so and listened to their system again? I do that with tweaks which is why I have almost none in my system other than one set of CMS footers and power cords.

I was planning to do this and got around to a first go-through tonight (as someone said, no waiting necessary). I suggest everyone give this comparison a try with a multi-instrumental, vocal musical piece or two using their favored discs and location(s) and report back. The differences I heard with music were in apparent volume, perspective and clarity. With cable TV, the differences are in at least body and degree of smoothness. But for the sake of not wanting to bias the results of others, I'll hold back for now on specifics.

Last edited:

tommylion

Feb 14, 2022
Speaking of contact enhancers, I got a sample of one from a friend yesterday. Can’t share any details right now, but…wow!

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Because that guy wants it free. As in FREE Free. No money paid
I will respond to your last two posts about me. I didn’t ask for anything for free. I said if. That is not exactly a demand. I do write occasional reviews for Audiophile Style.com but am an audio nobody. This will be my last post at WBF. Life is too short.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing