Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I guess these will not be discussed at length or in detail in the audio miser forum.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Big Headphones Fan here ...

Was think the Stax TOL was expensive ...Now I am patiently waiting for the $100K Headphones/amp combo :rolleyes:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

We, audiophiles, are a Luxury Good marketer wet dream. At one point our endeavor had some semblance of objective criteria now it is a matter of well placed and rehearsed suggestion.. These headphones will become the "best" and will spring several similar headphones in that "price class" and we, audiophiles will grant them superior to anything costing less
I own what most decent souls would call " expensive headphones", the aforementioned Stax 009 and an accompanying amp would give many a sense of sticker shock and frankly I like their sound ... yet.. I find myself more drawn to the sound of the Hifiman 560 or the Audeze LCD-3 ... To the extent that most of my listening are though these 2...

Be warned it is just the beginning of an onslaught of headphones systems costing $50k and more; after all if a pair of speakers cable can cost that much ...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Judging from the number of dealers and manufacturers who have gone belly up they hardly think of the Audiophile Luxury market as a "wet dream". The overwhelming consensus among them is that audiophiles across the board are a PITA. They could never make up their minds. They want deep discounts, and expect endless service and advice. After ignoring advice that it was the wrong product for them they expected the dealer to make good on the mistake. I imagine Senheiser is regarded as a profitable line(If you can compete with internet sales.) for a dealer to carry. Most dealers I know wold dread the introduction of a product like that. They would be lucky to sell one. Having to pay for it might wipe out the profit from the other products that do sell. After carrying it they would have to dump the demo at a loss.

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The original Orpheus had a beautiful visual presentation.

The new Orpheus has a lot of "wow factor" and enough unnecessary moving parts to be a liability.

For its $55,000 msrp, I hope it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Big Headphones Fan here ...

Was think the Stax TOL was expensive ...Now I am patiently waiting for the $100K Headphones/amp combo :rolleyes:

Give it some time. It's coming. The closer the prices get to $100K, the more companies will enter the arena.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Remember guys we live in a time where the worst team in NBA history without a stadium was sold for $2 Billion with a promise to beat any bid by $200 million..

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
One more thing.

For $55,000, they should give the purchaser a choice of stone chassis since these will most likely be produced only once commissioned by the purchaser.

The carrara marble is about the cheapest and plainest looking stone there is.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
One more thing.

For $55,000, they should give the purchaser a choice of stone chassis since these will most likely be produced only once commissioned by the purchaser.

The carrara marble is about the cheapest and plainest looking stone there is.

But the sound of this marble is more (insert your favorite audio cliche here ) :)

I would like to know how many of those they will sell ...

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
But the sound of this marble is more (insert your favorite audio cliche here ) :)

I would like to know how many of those they will sell ...

My guess is the majority will be sold to the super rich in Asia.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
They do look cool when powered up.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
... and here I am trying to save $20 on the Little Bear tube amp,If toyr dtate has 5 sales tax that's $3,300. On the used market you could probably score a pretty good pair Stax 007 with tube amp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing