Network pure streamer recommendations (under $4k)

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Hey guys, I sold my sotm 200 ultra with sps 500 (just for a few nagging design aspects I didn't like, like the power switch and firmware corruptions). My plan for the next 8 months is to just use roon, so the device should have roon support. But I'd like to eventually switch to something else that doesn't have a subscription fee. Wonder if you guys have any thoughts.

So now I am looking at:
Lumin u1 mini + sbooster
Lumin u1
Auralic aries g1 or g2
Moon mind 2
rpi4b + DDC (like audio gd di20he)
Bryston bdp3
DCS Bridge (if I get lucky on a used model)
Aurender X100L (no roon obviously)
Bricasti m5
Metrum Ambre
Soundware d300 ref
Wait for rockna wavelight.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Limetree Bridge $1k

Reactions: Hmart

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Cool this box does look interesting, and looks like a great bridge. Would like AES out but will take a look. Seems to have a great app too.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm looking at possibly running it with an MHDT Orchid NOS tubed dac, $2k the pair.
Also check out similarly priced UK offering USB-only Stack Audio, The Link streamer.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I would suggest Antipodes EX. The price is around $4k without any storage, but you can add up to two SSD drives yourself later. It has built in linear power supply, fully optimised for Roon, but has tons of other playback software options which are switchable on the fly like SqueezeBox, HQPlayer, MPD, it also supports DLNA. Customer support is the best I’ve experienced with any hi-if product and It is built like a tank. You can add a CX later, or one of the 2 platforms: one for CD ripping, the other if you need S/PDIF, AES3 and I2S digital outputs.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Lumin U1 Mini is what I use and haven’t felt the need to upgrade to the U1 based off its performance. It’s a stellar transport. I find the Lumin app to also sound better than the Roon app and it also doesn’t require a slave computer to operate. I like Roon as an interface - its unequaled - but it does have its deficiencies with sound quality.

Reactions: sujay

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Lumin U1 Mini is what I use and haven’t felt the need to upgrade to the U1 based off its performance. It’s a stellar transport. I find the Lumin app to also sound better than the Roon app and it also doesn’t require a slave computer to operate. I like Roon as an interface - its unequaled - but it does have its deficiencies with sound quality.

Where do you store your local files?

Have you tried u1 mini with sbooster? or another external psu?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
You can get an Innuos Zenith for a little over your $4k price, or a Zen for a lot less.
It does Roon, as well as UPnP, and they're coming up with their own app soon.

Reactions: KeithR

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Thought about Zenith but not a fan of having a CD drive in my streamer.

Anyone try the mind 2?

The CD drive is there only for ripping CDs. I don't use it for that so it remains unused. I'm not sure I see any downside in this.

gipe

Oct 15, 2019
France
Hello

I own the Soundaware D300 Ref and I recommend it without hesitation. It's a high quality streamer, usable with or without Roon and a connection including I2s.

It's less known than the European streamers but it's largely equal to their level. The playback quality is exceptional when reading files on its SD card. Particularly noticed by Seagent who kept it for himself after his review on 6Moons .

You can also connect SSD or HDD in USB

Reactions: tobiasrankin

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Thanks Gipe. I wish someone compared it to other streamers so I knew how it stacked up.

Any other thoughts? An aries g2 came up for sale, demo unit for $4300 CAD. But I think its probably more than I want to spend.

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
Hello

I own the Soundaware D300 Ref and I recommend it without hesitation. It's a high quality streamer, usable with or without Roon and a connection including I2s.

It's less known than the European streamers but it's largely equal to their level. The playback quality is exceptional when reading files on its SD card. Particularly noticed by Seagent who kept it for himself after his review on 6Moons .

You can also connect SSD or HDD in USB

Hi can you connect the Soundware D300 to a Terminator DAC us I2S connection ...

gipe

Oct 15, 2019
France
Hi can you connect the Soundware D300 to a Terminator DAC us I2S connection ...
hello,

Yes, no problem. I own a Terminator myself.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing