My TD AF3P also arrived.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Thanks for the info.
The price of the TechDAS arm bases in the US is ridiculous. What model MS arm base are you using?

I can sell AF3 base for 1400,- eur (may be 1500,- , as prices are increasing)
AF V bases do fit as well, current price is 1100,- (soon 1200,-)
(from German distributor)

You can use all Micro Seiki AX bases, same fitment as with AF V, do fit AF3 and AF3P as well.
Depending on tonearm and Cartridge you can choose

AX (alloy)
and AX (G) (gunmetal)

This list will help to choose:

http://my-micro.de/micro_ax_basen.htm

Reactions: bonzo75

108CY

May 4, 2013
It depends on the Tonearm. With Ikeda 407 with! heavy Ikeda B-60 VTA lifter I prefer the TechDAS alloy base.

Gunmetal sound to lean and too analytic in this combination.

For my Ikeda 345 standard (no B-60) I prefer gunmetal, more dynamics.

Seems, that the sound depends not only on the material, but also on the weight.

Ikeda / FR tonearms like a more heavy , but not too heavy base.

Spot on people do not realise the effect on arm bases eg one of the worst bases for the sme 3012r are aluminium in my opinion in this case I prefer brass and in some systems coupled with ebony. Systems play a big pat too on the influence of arm boards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wish shun Mook made arm bases ...

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
My Air Force One owner friends in Hong Kong made arm bases with 7075 aluminum alloy and titanium but never gun-metal.
Interesting!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What base did techdas use for their SME 3012r when Nishikawa San demoed it

Reactions: 108CY

108CY

May 4, 2013
I generally find mixing materials works best in some instances could involve many materials, I came up with a base for a emt927 that involved a pod that had brass,jade,ebony, delrin and aluminium I played with 90 different materials the top plate was brass and a crazy solid gold inseert, but then the finishing of the board also plays and impact on brass and aluminium I like crome for speed and agility for sweetness and midrange bloom 10 microns of gold with a under plate of copper and nickel works a real treat.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing