Musical Fidelity 550K Superchargers

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I just closed the deal today on a very nice pair of the Musical Fidelity 550K Superchargers. Only thing left is to wait for them to arrive.

These monoblocks are reputed to be camelion like by adding extreme dynamic slam to those (like me) with low powered tube gear.

So... my Jolida 502BRC just went from a lovely 60 watt per channel integrated to a beastly 750 watt heavy weight. YES!!!

As some of you may know, I just integrated a wonderful pair of the new Magneplanar 1.7's into my system. The lovely, but underpowered, Jolida did a yeomans job, but now (or will be as soon as they arrive) are like freaking Popeye with a can full of spinach!

Oh, did I mention that I am somewhat excited to hear what these amps will do for me? Hell Yeah!

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I just closed the deal today on a very nice pair of the Musical Fidelity 550K Superchargers. Only thing left is to wait for them to arrive.

These monoblocks are reputed to be camelion like by adding extreme dynamic slam to those (like me) with low powered tube gear.

So... my Jolida 502BRC just went from a lovely 60 watt per channel integrated to a beastly 750 watt heavy weight. YES!!!

As some of you may know, I just integrated a wonderful pair of the new Magneplanar 1.7's into my system. The lovely, but underpowered, Jolida did a yeomans job, but now (or will be as soon as they arrive) are like freaking Popeye with a can full of spinach!

Oh, did I mention that I am somewhat excited to hear what these amps will do for me? Hell Yeah!

Fred,

Big, powerful amps. I hope that you enjoy them. They should easily provide enough power for the Maggies.

Rich

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Fred,

Big, powerful amps. I hope that you enjoy them. They should easily provide enough power for the Maggies.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I'm sure that these amps will provide the missing element. I've got a long playlist in waiting.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Not sure i understand what they do, Fred. Are they replacing the Jolidas or working with them, turning it into a hybrid system? Do they go in front of the Jolidas? How do they work?

Tim

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Not sure i understand what they do, Fred. Are they replacing the Jolidas or working with them, turning it into a hybrid system? Do they go in front of the Jolidas? How do they work?

Tim

The supercharger can take the output of an amp instead of a preamp, so you can connect a low powered amp to more demanding speakers by putting the 550k between them.
I think JA is quite impressed by them.
Here is a review of the 550k, which quite a few say is better than the 750k.
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/907mf/index.html
Of course one has to weigh up how much character-trait will change, but it is meant to work pretty well.
Cheers
Orb

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The supercharger can take the output of an amp instead of a preamp, so you can connect a low powered amp to more demanding speakers by putting the 550k between them.
I think JA is quite impressed by them.
Here is a review of the 550k, which quite a few say is better than the 750k.
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/907mf/index.html
Of course one has to weigh up how much character-trait will change, but it is meant to work pretty well.
Cheers
Orb

So it's a slave amp?

Tim

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Without spending time looking closely at it no idea but the concept is similar to that of old (take a low powered amp and connect it into a more powerful one); take a look at the review and also JA's comments on measurements.
Cheers
Orb

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
In any case, it sounds cool. I can't imagine that it won't change the character of the tube amps, but I would guess it will change it for the better. Headroom is a wonderful thing for clear audio reproduction.

Tim

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Tim-Are you having an avatar identity crisis?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I changed it for another thread in which someone was asking if anyone had ever been a hippie. I added some commentary too, though I think it was redundant.

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
So was this the young Tim and the picture of the grumpy looking older white guy is you now?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Yes that was me and me. Obi-Wan Grumpy. Haven't matured yet, though. In the process of starting up another band even as we speak. It's the top item on my bucket list.

Tim

Orb

Sep 8, 2010

Fred,
let us know if it works out well or not.
Fingers crossed it does :)
Cheers
Orb

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Well I just installed the 550K's into the system this evening and all I can say is O M G!!! What an ENORMOUS difference in sound quality. Dynamics are off the charts. I'm spinning side 2 of Traffic's Shootout at the Fantasy Factory, an LP that I know very well, or at least I thought I did.

This is really special guys and will be a late night of listening. Damn, too bad I have to work tomorrow. The Jolida now drives the Maggies effortlessly. Man, that's nice. :)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Good to hear :)
So you still get a lot of the sound you loved originally from the Jolida, any slight loss of it in say the midrange, or loss of that tube magic?

Thanks for the update.
Orb

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Good to hear :)
So you still get a lot of the sound you loved originally from the Jolida, any slight loss of it in say the midrange, or loss of that tube magic?

Thanks for the update.
Orb

I think it’s going to take Fred awhile to decode what the MFs are bringing to the table (or taking off the table) besides the added power. Right now he is giddy with what they are bringing to the table, but it remains to be seen if long-term happiness will result (and I’m not saying it won’t).

I don’t think there is any free lunch, and I don’t know that it is possible to lash up a tube amp to a SS monster amp and expect only an increase in available power output and no added sonic signature from the SS amp. It seems to me that adding the Super Chargers is mixing and matching colorations from two different technologies. I believe that you can run the Super Chargers as straight up power amps can’t you? If so, it would be interesting to hear them without the tube amp in the signal chain and see if the sound gets better, worse, or just different. I can’t get past the feeling that if the Super Chargers are totally tonally neutral, than that means you are using the preceding amp as a tone control.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Would be an interesting listening experience I agree Mep.

Cheers
Orb

Indeed! - I enjoy my Viva driving the Avalons with Jazz/Small ensambles or acoustic material, but when Tequilas hit the ceiling and listening Tool/Perfect Cirle or Porcupine Tree...sound like three blocks away from the concert hall!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing