Munich High-End 2018 Ron Report: Goebel Divin Majestic

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Even with a correct set up we tend to find differences in opinion on a given system anyway. Our ears have different preferences. I wouldn’t think Morricab and Ron has bad ears. In fact I think they walk around with golden ears. But yet Ron has a few horns in his list of favorite rooms at show while Morricab said horns presented there were generally not sounding good. What sounds right and natural to one might not sound good to another. Set up is part of it but I think our preferences and priorities drive our comments more.

Kind regards,
Tang

Why is no one considering LV rooms horns? They are most certainly horns...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Avantgarde with tube amps - the only horns at Munich i can ever listen to
Living voice OBX R3 biamped with Gakuoh
Constellation room
JBL4367...wish only they were not playing through the ML amps
Audiovector
Boenicke

Generally cheap stuff. It is perhaps easier to setup at a show.

OBX R3s were pretty good...one of the better conventional speakers and competitive with Boenicke for similar money I think. No comparison to the big Vox Olympians though...

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
Avantgarde with tube amps - the only horns at Munich i can ever listen to
Living voice OBX R3 biamped with Gakuoh
Constellation room
JBL4367...wish only they were not playing through the ML amps
Audiovector
Boenicke

Generally cheap stuff. It is perhaps easier to setup at a show.

Oops, forgot the Gauder Akustic room.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
actually 2 did: Living Voice Vox Olympian and Living Voice Vox Palladian. Both are true horn speakers.

Ok, thanks for the correction.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, this is not a test for doing it all. This is a typical high end audio show demo.
Did you listen to any Electronica, ambient, Americana, prog?
Some jazz and classical is not a wide enough test.
Infinitely Baffled has turned down the Zellaton Statements for precisely this reason.
I’m sure they sounded nice on the usual Munich show musical fare.

I am confident they would sound great playing electronica. I do not know what you mean by ambient (elevator music?), Americana (the band America?) or prog (sp?) (music from Czech Republic?).

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . It's just a pity that in an effort to demo the Divin in as good a setting as possible . . .

Not completely true.

According to Oliver Goebel and Elliot Goldman, the North American importer for Goebel, the whole point of the high-sensitivity Divin Majestic is to enable owners to drive it with natural-sounding low and medium power SET tube amplifiers, so I am giving the Divin Majestic the benefit of a doubt by not penalizing it for Oliver’s use of his personal suite of CH Precision solid-state electronics. (CH Precision may be among the best sounding solid-state electronics, but, to me, they don’t have the sound of Lamm ML3s or Viva Auroras.)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, you unintentionally made me laugh .

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Not completely true.

According to Oliver Goebel and Elliot Goldman, the North American importer for Goebel, the whole point of the high-sensitivity Divin Majestic is to enable owners to drive it with natural-sounding low and medium power SET tube amplifiers, so I am giving the Divin Majestic the benefit of a doubt by not penalizing it for Oliver’s use of his personal suite of CH Precision solid-state electronics. (CH Precision may be among the best sounding solid-state electronics, but, to me, they don’t have the sound of Lamm ML3s or Viva Auroras.)

Ron

I get it.

My comment was in referring to the Aeon not having been given the Gobel attention by Gobel, which IMHO it should have instead of being demoed by Purist/Vitus.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Of course the irony is that if the Aeon performed badly in the Vitus room it couldn’t have helped the Vitus cause either.
Double own goal.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
True. What were they thinking? Er.. hold on. They weren't:D

I just saw a picture of that room. Did it have a slanted glass ceiling?? I guess you have to live with whatever they give you. I am not sure I understand the dynamics or the connection between Gobel, Vitus and Purist in that room.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
As someone once said, no one actually goes to Munich expecting good sound.
If they did, Cessaro would get precisely less than one sale.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Perhaps someone can purchase a pair of Divin Majestics, a pair of Ultra 11s, a pair of Arrakises and a pair of Gryphon Trident IIs, and a pair of VAC Statement 450s and a full Kronos front-end, and rent out a large listening room and a platoon of moving men to have an ultimate one column, dynamic driver speaker comparison. Tang?

Many of us WBF members then would fly to the location for lengthy comparison auditions.

The funny thing is I would not be at all surprised if 25% of the listeners found each loudspeaker to be their favorite speaker.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, you’ve got it all wrong LOL
We need to agree on source and amps first.
I vote Vyger Atlantis tt/arm and Red Sparrow cart, Nat Magnetostat SE and Magmas New SE.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
No we don’t. I just specified the source and amps. :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As someone once said, no one actually goes to Munich expecting good sound.
If they did, Cessaro would get precisely less than one sale.

I did not go to Munich, but when I go to shows I expected good, although not optimum, and a few cases of excellent sound. It happened most of the times.

I am sure that Ron listened to good sound when he was there! :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Damn you Ron !
As they say in the UK, “your place, your rules”.
Nice game.
However it may have to remain in the domain of VR since it’s not happening in reality anytime soon.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Francisco, he listened to digital on horns. And liked it. I really didn’t think pigs could fly (Pink Floyd notwithstanding).

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Living Voice always seems to have exactly the same room. it appears they hold on to that one like velcro for voicing.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Perhaps someone can purchase a pair of Divin Majestics, a pair of Ultra 11s, a pair of Arrakises and a pair of Gryphon Trident IIs, and a pair of VAC Statement 450s and a full Kronos front-end, and rent out a large listening room and a platoon of moving men to have an ultimate one column, dynamic driver speaker comparison. Tang?

Many of us WBF members then would fly to the location for lengthy comparison auditions.

The funny thing is I would not be at all surprised if 25% of the listeners found each loudspeaker to be their favorite speaker.

I'm up for it. We can build a community around it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing