MSB Discrete versus Premier DAC

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
I was looking to make a decision between the Select and the Premier. Either would be used with the Powerbase.

This might be not the normal question when addressing this comparison, but is one more musical to listen to than the other? Obviously the Premier has more detail and other attributes going for it over the Discrete, however for musicality and fullness of sound, are they equal in this category, or one over the other. I listen to mostly rock and jazz, and not classical.

Thanks.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Assuming your dilemma is between the Premier & the Discrete (you mention the Select in your text), I would answer your question in favour of Premier.
While I had the Select, I have listened to both Premier & Discrete and, while I'm not sure what you mean by musicality & fullness of sound, I find the Premier much more correct - true to the source (i.e. the signal) and would prefer it on all counts. Regards

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
Thanks for your reply. Good pickup. I meant the Discrete versus Premier.

I should have explained better. I find that with some components I have purchased in the past, as I went up to the next model, there was more resolution, detail, transparent, but it lost some ofa full sound. It sounded thinner and less body. I'm not sure if I did the explanation and justice. or not.

Or an example. When I was buying an Aurender recently, I was looking at the W20 SE. I spoke with the national sales manager at Aurender and asked him about that model as well as the N20. He asked me what type of music I listened to and what was more important to me in how I like to hear music. He said if you were looking for more full bodied and bass, and care less about ultimate transparency and detail, I'll save you $10k and tell you to get the N20.

So, thats the same question I have here regarding the Premier versus Discrete.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Hi Ken, I PM'd you a minute ago.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing