MSB Discrete to Premier

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
So in fulfilling my promise to report back, I have the K50 (so not more Mac Mini) which is proving to be a huge improvement. I even had a MSB Renderer V2 in here and A/B them and it was no contest. K50 by a large margin, the compounding clocks just win out over the MSB renderer, which is as it should be when one considers the cost difference. My Switch (HNE LABs) is installed and that made such an impact I ordered a second to layer them. This was one of my better upgrades to my front end, the switch and the K50.

What I have not done yet is convince myself the Premier DAC should be my next step. I've bought new speakers (Wilsons) so I might wait until after I break them in. The Discrete with two power supplies is really fantastic, but my curiousity for the Premier is unrelenting, as I feel that is where I should have jumped in.
My advice is to just enjoy what you currently have. After you get things the way you like, reach out to MSB for a home demo of the premier. You will know if an upgrade is worth it. The Discrete is an awesome unit so I'm sure music is flowing in your home nicely.

Reactions: skids929

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
My advice is to just enjoy what you currently have. After you get things the way you like, reach out to MSB for a home demo of the premier. You will know if an upgrade is worth it. The Discrete is an awesome unit so I'm sure music is flowing in your home nicely.
Yeah the issue is MSB doesn't have any to loan out at the moment since they're having to keep up with orders. I can call around to some dealers but most of them are leary on lending that DAC out to someone who is non-committal. I can't tell if it's because they don't want to lose sales, or the Premier is just not that much better than the Discrete with 2 power supplies, or both.

Won't know any of this until I listen. I know my system's every little nuance so since I listen to it ALOT, if the Premier is going to make a worthwhile difference that matters I will hear it for sure.

b345t

May 10, 2020
Hey, any update on your findings? I am thinking about getting an MSB too and am on the fence about Discrete vs Premiere..! Cheers

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
haven't made a move yet. Waiting to be able to hear the Premier still.

Motoman

Jul 25, 2021
Miami Beach
Yeah the issue is MSB doesn't have any to loan out at the moment since they're having to keep up with orders. I can call around to some dealers but most of them are leary on lending that DAC out to someone who is non-committal. I can't tell if it's because they don't want to lose sales, or the Premier is just not that much better than the Discrete with 2 power supplies, or both.

Won't know any of this until I listen. I know my system's every little nuance so since I listen to it ALOT, if the Premier is going to make a worthwhile difference that matters I will hear it for sure.
Keep in mind that the Premier goes with the Premier Power Base, which is a significant upgrade from the Discrete's single power supply. I run my Discrete with the Premier Power base, which was a marked improvement and provided more "oomph" to the music. So make sure that you compare both DAC's using the Premier Power Base for a fair comparison.

Reactions: bryans

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 16, 2012
Poland
Anyone compared Discrete dual PSUs vs Premier Power Base ?

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Anyone compared Discrete dual PSUs vs Premier Power Base ?
I did compare (not at the same time in my system) a Premier with Dual PSU and a Premier with Premium Power Base. When I first did a demo of the Premier MSB didn't have a power base on hand so I was given Dual PSU from the Discrete. To my ears the power base made a big improvement. I just seemed to enjoy the Premier more. The music became smoother. The vocals in my system where more focused and detailed. Now before I listened to the Premier Power base I thought the Premier DAC was outstanding. So it really is one of those things where I would have been extremely happy with the Dual PSU.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing