Audio_Builder

Apr 28, 2020
The listening room has been finished for a year but it needed more speaker to fill the space. I figured I would start off the New Year with some new speakers. I am happy with the results. Now to listen!

Source:
Fan less music server running Foobar. Intel motherboard with optimized Windows XP. Custom I2C interface with low ppm clock and dedicated power supply.
Non-oversampling 16-bit R2R DAC. I2C input only. Non-traditional brick wall filter. Transformer coupled tube output stage with Electra-Print custom output transformers.

Pro-Ject 5.1 TT with TIZO 35mm Acrylic platter, Cardas Litz tonearm wire, CNC copper RCA jacks, and Ortofon Quintet Black S cartridge.

AcousTech phono preamplifier with upgraded opamps and Tango step-up transformers.

Preamp:
Low gain single tube stage transformer coupled preamp with wireless remote control. Custom Electra-Print output transformers. Left and Right channel components hand matched.

Amplifies:
Single Ended 300B amplifier with low gain drivers stage. Mercury vapor rectifier. AC filaments with less than 1mV residual hum. Plitron output transformers.

Push Pull KT-66 amplifier. 10 Watts per channel. No Global feedback.

Speaker:
Four Altec 416 in ported cabinet. TAD 4002 compression driver on a RCA World's Fair Horn. Bi-amplified with passive and active analog crossover.

Room:
Detached building. ~20 ft x ~30 ft with 12 foot ceilings. Room designed as Mastering suite. Dedicated isolate power.

Attachments

• Stereo.jpg
    Stereo.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 123
  • Stereo 2.jpg
    Stereo 2.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 121

Audio_Builder

Apr 28, 2020
Great question! The DAC took over a year to develop and is a main contributor to the high sound quality, but the highlight is just the overall ease of the music. It just envelops you.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Great question! The DAC took over a year to develop and is a main contributor to the high sound quality, but the highlight is just the overall ease of the music. It just envelops you.
DAC are way harder than most people think. Some companies just use a trendy DAC chip, and call it a day. I believe, that you as well understand that it is much deeper than that. That's why we still use BurrBrown DACs. Because of the sound.

Reactions: morricab

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
"That's why we still use BurrBrown DACs. Because of the sound."
You guys get them to sound better than I ever heard before.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
DAC are way harder than most people think. Some companies just use a trendy DAC chip, and call it a day. I believe, that you as well understand that it is much deeper than that. That's why we still use BurrBrown DACs. Because of the sound.
Love BB PCM63k and BB PCM1704k.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing