Most under appreciated, underrated jazz musicians

Chicago

Feb 9, 2019
Windy City
Thinking of a jazz musician that is excellent but never became a 'jazz superstar' and never became rich, generally known that Hank Mobley was one of the most under appreciated jazz sax players. Joe Henderson was also appreciated relatively late, paradoxically despite the fact that he's one of the most recognized sax players in modern jazz history :). So, who else? I just refreshed recording of Bennie Wallace for famous Enja Records - 'The Four Teen Bar Blues' - with Eddie Gomez on bass and Eddie Moore on drums. I must say that Bennie's jazz on this recording contains everything what I love in jazz - there is a lot of 'wild' improvisation, a lot of raw sound what's obvious from point of view jazz trio playing without harmonic instrument, playing in opened style or controlled free jazz... etc. I also have Bennie's recordings for Enja 'Sweeping Through The City', 'Bennie Wallace Plays Monk' which are a little different, much more accessible and maybe more 'commercial' but still great and still showing potential of this great underrated musician. So, who else? ;)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Blue Mitchell, Dexter Gordon,Larry Young

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The shorter list is “great jazz musicians who are appropriately appreciated/rewarded”

Reactions: Chicago and RogerD

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
How about most unapreciated (at the time) jazz album? Miles Davis "On The Corner".
In the DNA of almost every experimental, ambient and loop-based album in the last four decades.
But at the time, the sheer hate from critics.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
How about most unapreciated (at the time) jazz album? Miles Davis "On The Corner".
In the DNA of almost every experimental, ambient and loop-based album in the last four decades.
But at the time, the sheer hate from critics.

One of my favorite albums. Check out miles davis Panthalassa, a remixed version of several of Miles' best music from 1969-1974.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm a sucker for all his stuff in the 70s.
Dark Magus, Pangaea and Agharta are one Hell of a trio of other worldly fusion.
On The Corner is The Daddy.

Love Panthalassa.

Chicago

Feb 9, 2019
Windy City
'On The Corner' - rock & funk period of MD. Very good stuff, I have a full session of this recordings - very nice 6 CD box set - love it. What's important there is Dave Liebman on the board - one of my favorite musician all the time. He's a 'main tree branch' in Coltrane context.

Last edited:

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
I've always thought that-Cannonball Adderley was some what underrated during his career.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The recording industry had an iron grip on who and when artist got a break. If they fell into disfavor, it was a tough road to recognition. One such artist was:

Reactions: kenfren and RogerD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing