More analog goodies ( Tedeska )

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
September will bring a deep dive into Tedeska's world here at Solypsa. We are so happy to bring more hand made analog goodies to the North America market.

Will be testing their cartridge leads, GUT-C and GUTS-S ( copper and silver respectively ). These are designed to allow use of their 1/2" system carts to have same character as their fixed head ( SPU type ) systems.
image (4).jpg

Oh and speaking of carts first demo will be their Torres. Yes this is a stereo cart and I admit our initial reason for seeking a partnership was their renowned mono carts. Practical aspects lead to the idea to start with a 1/2" stereo cart to make initial compares easy.
image (3).jpg

Come autumn we will deep dive into mono, with a few different configs going.
image (2).jpg

These carts are made to order with ~2 months lead time. Anyone intrigued please reach out for more info

Attachments

• image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 7

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
September will bring a deep dive into Tedeska's world here at Solypsa. We are so happy to bring more hand made analog goodies to the North America market.

Will be testing their cartridge leads, GUT-C and GUTS-S ( copper and silver respectively ). These are designed to allow use of their 1/2" system carts to have same character as their fixed head ( SPU type ) systems.
View attachment 96862

Oh and speaking of carts first demo will be their Torres. Yes this is a stereo cart and I admit our initial reason for seeking a partnership was their renowned mono carts. Practical aspects lead to the idea to start with a 1/2" stereo cart to make initial compares easy.
View attachment 96863

View attachment 96865

These carts are made to order with ~2 months lead time. Anyone intrigued please reach out for more info
That looks very much like the old Decca logo on the cartridge, any connection?

david

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
That looks very much like the old Decca logo on the cartridge, any connection?

david
David,

I don't think so, other than an hommage. The maker is a musician who was curious about a broken cartridge and then became a maker.

The cartridges are worth a listen. I like their tone and will probably be getting one in the future. I think you might like them also. They have a hint of Neuman in their DNA, from what I remember. Can't remember the tonearm but they are relatively heavy so matching will have to be considered carefully.

Beau

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

View attachment 96862

View attachment 96863

View attachment 96865

The cart looks very handsome.

As for tonearm. The 3012R is quite a surprise to me. People get sick of hearing a few people here keeps saying good things about it. But I have been using them and want to share my experience. I am quite surprise the arm can handle a heavy cart really well. My Westrex weighs around 35 grams. The Neumann's around 30 grams. The 3012R plays more lively with Westrex than the heavier Axiom, Ortofon 297 and 309. The Neumann I only tried with Ortofon 297 and 3012R due to its star type connector. (I have two of my SME converted to star type.) It plays way better with the SME. The tracking force on Westrex is 3.5g. Neumann 6.5g. If I try this Tedeska I won't be worrying about using with the SME. It could play light cart as well as heavy cart. I see on website the heaviest Tedeska is only around 25g. My practical experience not theoretical.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
6.5g is too high. It was made at a time when the LPs then were not expensive, but so much tracking force can easily wreck the grooves

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
6.5g is too high. It was made at a time when the LPs then were not expensive, but so much tracking force can easily wreck the grooves
What VTF do you think is appropriate? :)

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

it is not about appropriate. Groove wear is a reality. Why do you think old used LPs can be noisy or hard sounding even when they look clean on top. 6.5 stands out as extreme given that many are many between 1.5 and 3. Surely factors other than VTF will play a role in groove wear but at 6.5g if you your cartridge is slightly misaligned or encounters a break due to dust or so it will cause much more damage than a cart with much lower tracking force.

Reactions: Argonaut

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

If Gian and I are jogging, you will feel more pain if I run into you than Gian. And running into Howie Is curtains. Very high tracking force.

In short all carts can hurt your groove a bit when misaligned, but with much higher VTF you just worsen it

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cmchan and Lagonda

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
If Gian and I are jogging, you will feel more pain if I run into you than Gian. And running into Howie Is curtains. Very high tracking force.

In short all carts can hurt your groove a bit when misaligned, but with much higher VTF you just worsen it
All I can say is that after 20 years with Neumanns if there’s groove damage to my records I don’t hear it and I have a few favorites that I play over and over and over.

Sorry Eric didn’t mean to hijack your thread.

david

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75 and wart

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
I believe mistracking is a far bigger factor in groove wear than tracking force. Back in the early 1970s, I used a Decca 4RC in a Rabco ST-4 tracking at 3.5g. In the Rabco arm, the Decca had trouble tracking some records especially in inner grooves. The records where it consistently ran into tracking problems have wear issues—-a coarser sound with rolled off highs. Yet other records where it did not mistrack still sound fine despite being played a number of times with the Decca conical stylus at 3.5g.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
if any cart is misaligned or mistracks, which it eventually does with many if you play regular, at 6.5 it will hurt more than at 2g.

Last edited:

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
if any cart is misaligned or mistracks, which it eventually does with many if you play regular, at 6.5 it will hurt more than at 2g.
Mistracking can also happen with NOT enough tracking force. If a high mass cartridge is set with too low a VTF then it becomes more susceptible to mistracking. Like ddk, I have a couple of cartridges that use higher VTF and don't notice any issues. I also have a Victrola and have played a couple of the shellacs hundreds of times with a steel needle and they are still intact.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Mistracking can also happen with NOT enough tracking force. If a high mass cartridge is set with too low a VTF then it becomes more susceptible to mistracking. Like ddk, I have a couple of cartridges that use higher VTF and don't notice any issues. I also have a Victrola and have played a couple of the shellacs hundreds of times with a steel needle and they are still intact.

ok good to know, but if for example antiskating Is off you will be pressurising groove wall at higher force

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
with Neumann needle rounding 15um, causes less damage at 6.5g than a vdh at 1.45g. even a spu a needle >18um is much finer in comparison. it glides more on the record groove than it dives in;)hihi

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
ok good to know, but if for example antiskating Is off you will be pressurising groove wall at higher force
It is a balancing act, and good sound comes from fine-tuning the balance of all the factors mentioned before. In my experience, I have never seen excessive groove wear from a properly set-up cartridge/tonearm system. Damage usually comes when something is off.

Beau

Reactions: mtemur

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It is a balancing act, and good sound comes from fine-tuning the balance of all the factors mentioned before. In my experience, I have never seen excessive groove wear from a properly set-up cartridge/tonearm system. Damage usually comes when something is off.

Beau

i totally agree if properly set up. But that assumes all are experts at always getting it spot on. Like you said damage comes when something is off and if that off is at 6.5g it will be worse.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
with Neumann needle rounding 15um, causes less damage at 6.5g than a vdh at 1.45g. even a spu a needle >18um is much finer in comparison. it glides more on the record groove than it dives in;)hihi

yes vdh with it’s varying needle profiles can be causing damage as tough to get consistent set up every time a cart comes back something has to change. not sure what the hihi is for

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
yes vdh with it’s varying needle profiles can be causing damage as tough to get consistent set up every time a cart comes back something has to change. not sure what the hihi is for
Sorry for offtopic,
You have nearly 6 times sharper needle vdh(85um), when the azimuth not correct you damage definitive the groove.the hihi was for glide not dive a neumann is not a detail wonder, because not dive in the groove.

nadelschliffe_843591.gif

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Sorry @Solypsa for leading to off topic.

The Todeska is in the same price point as Vdh?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@Tango At this time the mono carts are under €4k, stereo carts a bit more but the costliest is under €7k

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing