Metaxas speech on Analogue Reel to reel concert recording - Munich Hi End Show 2012

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Kostas Metaxas is an old acquaintance of mine. His amplifiers are a tour de force. the Icarus, Solitaire and Marquis. He is a fan of Stellavox SM-8 and TD-9.

Metaxas speech on Analogue Reel to reel concert recording - Munich Hi End Show 2012

I was asked to lecture on purist analogue tape recording techniques at the Munich Hi End Hi Fi Show in 2012. Here is an edit including some recording excerpts. One of my biggest pleasures in life is recording music. It is an indescribable pleasure - bliss. Particularly when all the planets are aligned - when the musician is "in the zone", the audience is on the edge of their seats...you literally get "lost in the music". Sadly I wasn't able to release lots of this music, only use excerpts for Broadcast TV interviews, but the pure pleasure was worth it. From 2003 to 2008, I recorded over 300 concerts including covering 2 Melbourne Jazz Festivals , 2 Bangalow Classical Music Festivals, over 50 Opera Australia Operas, The Asia-Pacific Chamber Music competition, and many others. In 2005 I was sponsored by BMW to record a series of concerts at the FEDERATION SQUARE "Edge" Concert Hall. This gorgeous glass/wood/steel venue was one of my favorite venues. I also worked closely with Andrew Wales, conductor of the Royal Melbourne Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir to record many of their concerts at the Town Hall [ including 3 Messiahs] and both St Patrick's and St Paul's Cathedrals. As an artist, I viewed every opportunity as an experiment to extend the recording art. Many of these recording are my most treasured "references".

https://vimeo.com/144719554

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing