Mercedes CLA 45S Shooting Brake vs Audi RS6

Denes

Dec 14, 2019
Hi,
I know it is kind of weird comparison, but here is a reason.
I have a Q7 and 991 4S and looking for a car that replace both.
It is for mostly short distance daily use.
It must be fun to drive, powerful, with high prestige (premium brand) and be able to carry two children to KINDERGARDEN, but not necesserily big (Q7 remains to wife/family). And 4WD as living in mountains.

BMW M3/4 is old, new is to come in 2021 only.
M5 looks like my ex 10 year old f10 530. Dont like exterior.
RS4/5 interior is just not nice interior.
Mercedes C63 is also old and outdated interior.

RS6 looks great, but no dual clutch and not know if fun enough in city and main roads (too heavy?) Mercedes CLA might be a kind of step back after a 911 and not know if will really love.
Unfortunately I have no possibility to drive and try them, so I wonder if any can advice.

I hope someone can share experience or recommend any idea.
Thank you,
D.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
How about an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio?

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
How about an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio?
Highly recommend you check this hot rod out, it will surprise the $hit out of you, it is an exhilarating drive.
Get the Carbon Ceramic brake package if you are an aggressive driver at all or plan on any track time. If you go steel just accept that you will be replacing brakes a lot and dont complain when you are told you need brakes.

To add the Stelvio QV is faster than the Giulia as its all wheel drive and can get the power to the road better and since its a SUV, more storage for kid stuff.

Watch the opening chase scene in 6 Underground if you want to see one in action.

Last edited:

Denes

Dec 14, 2019
Forgot to mention that I need 4WD, living in mountains.
I like Porsche, but not to park in front of customers. With 911 I always parked the next street, while Q7 was OK for my position :)
That is why the Alfa Stelvio might be out (need premium brand).

I hope someone has experience with CLA and RS6 drive experience.
Which is closer to 911 drive experience? I mean like each stop I gear down to hear the exhaust and even in the morning traffic it is a fun to drive.
D.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
The Alfa Stelvio QV will kick that CLA off the road and has a better build quality. Go to a dealer and check one out before you call this vehicle a non premium brand compared to a CLA Benz.
Please go drive one, it will change your world I promise.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Panamera Sport Turismo
I like Porsche, but not to park in front of customers.

Hire a driver for work engagements.

Porsche Panamera Turbo Executive.

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
2 kids have to be transported to kindergarten...

In car seats or not? I figure if it's possible to stuff two giggling teenagers at the back in a Toyota 86, one got to be able to put two kindergarteners at the back in an i8. That could be could be totally wrong of course.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I like Porsche, but not to park in front of customers. With 911 I always parked the next street, while Q7 was OK for my position :)
That is why the Alfa Stelvio might be out (need premium brand).

I hope someone has experience with CLA and RS6 drive experience.
Which is closer to 911 drive experience? I mean like each stop I gear down to hear the exhaust and even in the morning traffic it is a fun to drive.
D.

The Alfa basically has a Ferrari engine and one of the best chassis on the market. I'd consider in on the level, or better vs the German alternatives.

That's the issue with the newer BMW and Mercedes, the chassis is not as good as it could be, Corvette and Camaro are kicking their butts in handling and overall traction, that's why the new M3 is going to be AWD. I have not driven one yet, but I have heard the Alfas have a world class modern chassis.

Porsche, sure... but for a price! ;) That Panamera is probably 2x the cost of the other cars so not exactly apples to apples.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
We can kick that Taycan (brand image) down the road further, but the pedestrian AR Stelvio is so common here you could kick said Taycan and hit at least one performing less than prestigious duties. I shared the sentiment a 4S or above Panamera (Sport Turismo) was only slightly off center his target. Both are nearly possible to suggest without ability to drive beforehand.

2020 Volvo V90 Inscription is what I personally would choose. You can even sacrifice the full luxury package for a child friendly second row option. Order only makes them an option many pass over.

[Video Link]

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
We can kick that Taycan (brand image) down the road further, but the pedestrian AR Stelvio is so common here you could kick said Taycan and hit at least one performing less than prestigious duties.
Where is "here"?

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
We can kick that Taycan (brand image) down the road further, but the pedestrian AR Stelvio is so common here you could kick said Taycan and hit at least one performing less than prestigious duties. I shared the sentiment a 4S or above Panamera (Sport Turismo) was only slightly off center his target. Both are nearly possible to suggest without ability to drive beforehand.

2020 Volvo V90 Inscription is what I personally would choose. You can even sacrifice the full luxury package for a child friendly second row option. Order only makes them an option many pass over.

[Video Link]

Alfa Stelvio QV pedestrian? You obviously know little about it.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Alfa Stelvio QV pedestrian? You obviously know little about it.

I count 6 US model variants of the Alfa Romeo Stelvio currently on their site. My apologies for your confusion by failing to explicitly note I meant the base level model(s). The number of QV that will be made is no doubt calculated towards keeping it from being pedestrian.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing