Magnepan LRS Amplifier

JCGeoffrion

Jun 25, 2021
I recently purchased Magnepan LRS and I’m looking for an amplifier to drive them.

Interested in amplifier/pre recommendations. <$3,000 total

Mostly would be listening through Tidal so also recommendations on streamers would be great.

All I’ve listened to them so far has been a Sonos Amp. I’ve been drawn toward a Hegel H120 but I’m concerned about the power levels and restrictions of an integrated.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, JC!

Reactions: tdotson41

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I recently purchased Magnepan LRS and I’m looking for an amplifier to drive them.

Mostly would be listening through Tidal so also recommendations on streamers would be great.

All I’ve listened to them so far has been a Sonos Amp. I’ve been drawn toward a Hegel H120 but I’m concerned about the power levels and restrictions of an integrated.
Congratulations on them.they are a bargain.

rhd1953

Apr 23, 2021

I've been driving my MG LRS and 0.7 with ClassDaudio SMA ($650, 125@8ohm, 250@4ohm) for over year now. I also have an Anthem MCA 225 ($1800, 225@8ohms,400@4ohm,600@2ohms). I use Anthem MCA 30 preamps driving them ($200-300 used).

For the MG 0.7 speakers, in a home theater setup, the Anthem MCA 30 is sending the low bass (below ~200 hz) to my Martin Logan powered subs and "all stereo" to the side and rear speakers commercial JBL 8330 speakers.

Both sets of speakers play a wide range of music as quietly or loud as desired, without any problems and the amps remain cool at all times.

Again, my first thought on hearing these speakers (after listening to Martin-Logan CLS II for 30 years)...I need to re-listen to all my music.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018

Sorry to be so late.
I drive them with a little Rotel : RB-1552 MKII

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
Very late to this as well.
I've been thinking of trying a Yamaha WXA-50 on the LRS, thinking it would be an excellent match. The power amplifier inside is an IcePower125ASX2 capabe of delivering some 120 W into 4 ohms.

cfgardei1

Nov 8, 2022

What I did - for just over $3000 - was use a Parasound A21+ (500wpc) driven directly by a Bluesound Node player, streaming Tidal (no preamp). As long as you don't want to play other sources (turntable, CD, etc.), this works magnificently

cfgardei1

Nov 8, 2022
What I did - for just over $3000 - was use a Parasound A21+ (500wpc) driven directly by a Bluesound Node player, streaming Tidal (no preamp). As long as you don't want to play other sources (turntable, CD, etc.), this works magnificently
That way: when you upgrade to 1.7i's or 3.7i's ((which you WILL (!)), you don't need to shop for a bigger amp...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing