Magico S Sub

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Hi all

got an S Sub the other day and got to say im loving it. Its for my living room HT system not my main stereo. And it came after a Sunfire sub, then a Marten Sub.

the way this sub pressurises the room is like nothing ive had before its just brilliant. It gives a solidity to the sound that everything else just hangs off. Its like a great foundation that has enhanced every aspect of the sound, not just the bass. Another aspect ive notices is the sealed bass seems to interact less with the room than the when i had ported subs.

its so good im thinking if getting a Q sub to go in the big system - but ive got some connection issues to sort through on that one.

SSub.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats and very, very cool! If there is one thing that I imagine is necessary in designing subs...it is massively inert cabinetry which is one of magico's great design elements across the board. Would love to hear. I have been a big fan for over 20 years of subs even dialed at or below 40hz as the main speakers have gotten bigger. Which Sunfire did you have?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Would love to hear how the QSub compares with the SSub! Did you consider any other subs when you were moving away from the Sunfire?

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
well i had the Marten sub for a couple of years and found that quite musical , but like almost all the major brands out there u CAN hear the cabinet.

ive had Magico speakers in my big system in the past ( i currently have Marten Coltrane 3) and u simply cannot hear the cabinet of Magicos - so i wanted to try them. The QSubs dimensionally would not fit the space i could allocate, but the S Sub was a perfect fit so i got it.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Congrats! It would be interesting to see how it compares to the JLA Gotham.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Any update, pweg?

Are you getting additional Magico subwoofers for your Martens?

How easy to use is the computer-based digital controller for the S-sub?

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Oh I love the ssub. It produces a bass that’s just phenomenal, with no bloat overhang or any bass reflex artefacts. Also it pressurises my room like nothing I’ve ever used.

The control was a bit awkward to get up and running. My whole house uses Mac and this would only work with pc. I have a small tablet pc that runs my house energy management as I run off lithium batteries and solar. However the magico software needed (32 or 64) bit I can’t remember and the tablet was too low. So I had to get my computer guy to get another computer and redo it all.

Once it’s running it’s pretty straight forward to use.

I will def get a qsub to go with the martens but after I move house and get a bigger music room. The current one is too small.

Reactions: b360

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for the speedy reply and update!

Did you consider the JL Audio Gotham? (LL21 wants to know.)

(I do, too.)

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Not really.

One of the reasons was cabinet construction and its contribution to sound. Magico spends so much of its attention to reducing cabinet distortion and this is clearly evident.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have my eyes on an S sub as well - simply outstanding deep-bass performance and no resonances

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing