Magico M9 >>>>Fulfillment

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
The hear them yourself category is split into the following
1. Those who would hear it themselves, and no matter how good it sounds, buy the other thing, the one they haven't heard but were also curious about. This is how many components, especially cartridges, get sold without audition even though buyers know of a cart they have heard and like.
2. Those who have already made up their mind to buy it, and will hear it for the sake of saying they auditioned, then buy it even if it does not sound good. I actually know people who decided to try components (say amp), went to Munich, amp room was sounding bad, they said so too, but then bought it anyway. This is how many Munich rooms get orders during the week (from private individuals, not dealers)
3. Those who decide to check something out, go to a show like Munich where it is inappropriately set up, then say it's crap.

Very few in the hear it yourself, evaluate, and then buy or not buy based on merit.
I'm not sure I agree, but admittedly you'd need enough data to confirm, and since it's so subjective people may not be as honest and open about their choices. If the majority of folks fit into 1 - 3, then it's a sad state of affairs IMO.

I personally think it's absurd to spend serious $ (relative to your budget) without a demo. As a personal example - when choosing speakers, I listened to all top contenders but when I went to a dealer in Dallas to hear YG Acoustics and Evolution Acoustics speakers instead I ended up loving the dealer's personal pair of Vivid Giyas above both.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
My experience is that everybody’s equation is different and even though several variables in all of our equations are similar there’s always several variables that are unique to each individual.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Biggest issue, IMHO, is determining how much of the auditioned sound is the speaker versus the room and the remainder of the ancillary gear.

The only bomb proof way is an in home audition but that is difficult to arrange at best. Absent this, it is typically a roll of the dice. And I, amongst other forum members, likely have the scars to prove it.

Reactions: lordcloud and sbo6

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'm not sure I agree, but admittedly you'd need enough data to confirm, and since it's so subjective people may not be as honest and open about their choices. If the majority of folks fit into 1 - 3, then it's a sad state of affairs IMO.

I personally think it's absurd to spend serious $ (relative to your budget) without a demo. As a personal example - when choosing speakers, I listened to all top contenders but when I went to a dealer in Dallas to hear YG Acoustics and Evolution Acoustics speakers instead I ended up loving the dealer's personal pair of Vivid Giyas above both.

It's difficult to get data but there was a survey done on WBF by DaveyF on how many bought their cartridges unheard, the result of that survey was some crazy 90 percent. Don't remember absolute numbers. Am sure behavior varies depending on product segment. Anyway digressing thread

Reactions: sbo6

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Biggest issue, IMHO, is determining how much of the auditioned sound is the speaker versus the room and the remainder of the ancillary gear.

The only bomb proof way is an in home audition but that is difficult to arrange at best. Absent this, it is typically a roll of the dice. And I, amongst other forum members, likely have the scars to prove it.

i’ve been lucky with speaker auditions. My first pair of Magicos I was able to audition in Three different locations, one with the same brand amps I owned. I bought my second pair of Magicos after a three week in-home audition in my system. Then for my new system, after the front end, phono, and preamp were settled, I compared to different speakers with two different amplifiers over one month in my home and then chose the one I preferred.

I’m sure this would be much more difficult if not impossible with speakers like the magico M9‘s.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
It's difficult to get data but there was a survey done on WBF by DaveyF on how many bought their cartridges unheard, the result of that survey was some crazy 90 percent. Don't remember absolute numbers. Am sure behavior varies depending on product segment. Anyway digressing thread
I don't think I have ever bought a cartridge that I was able to audition.

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
I find the black color for speakers as large as the M9s to be oppressive. The arm tube on my Clearaudio Tracer tonearm is carbon fiber, but it is painted a nice bright silver color so carbon fiber can obviously be painted. I want my pair of M9s to be a rich milk chocolate brown. Perhaps Wilson could advise Magico about painting speakers.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I find the black color for speakers as large as the M9s to be oppressive. The arm tube on my Clearaudio Tracer tonearm is carbon fiber, but it is painted a nice bright silver color so carbon fiber can obviously be painted. I want my pair of M9s to be a rich milk chocolate brown. Perhaps Wilson could advise Magico about painting speakers.

True. I want bright orange red, with a bright poison green base.

• Haha
Reactions: TDX

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
You know you can request any color

Reactions: lordcloud

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
  • Wow
Reactions: Lagonda

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
There’s no issue if the complaint is just the color.

what you see is base color. They’ve built m6 in British racing green for example

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Reactions: MadFloyd

2Windows

Sep 20, 2020
Hi,

I was searching for a Magico M9 installation manual, but I did not found, someone know if M9 comes with a installation manual? My doubt is how the upper box is connected with the bottom box, with cables, maybe?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi,

I was searching for a Magico M9 installation manual, but I did not found, someone know if M9 comes with a installation manual? My doubt is how the upper box is connected with the bottom box, with cables, maybe?
The M9 requires four channels of amplification. The output of the MXO crossover has connections to four separate channels of amplifiers. Two channels of amplification goes to the top module and two channels of amplification go to the base module.

2Windows

Sep 20, 2020
The M9 requires four channels of amplification. The output of the MXO crossover has connections to four separate channels of amplifiers. Two channels of amplification goes to the top module and two channels of amplification go to the base module.
I already know this information.
My question is about the physical connection of the two parts, how they fit together, I guess you know what I mean.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I already know this information.
My question is about the physical connection of the two parts, how they fit together, I guess you know what I mean.
Sorry, when you said cables I thought you meant cables running from the bottom to top module.

There are screws that secure the top and bottom modules. Once you set the top module in place you open the speaker terminal panel and reach inside and connect two heavy duty bolts which secure the modules together.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
2Windows, I sent you a pm. The M9 manual is too large to upload in the PM. If you send me your email address I will send you the M9 user/installation manual.

Bob

Reactions: 2Windows

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing