Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
M9_MagicoRoom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Must be quite a task to setup Magico’s listening room for various speaker demos.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Impressive

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
More about the where, when, and wow, Bob. Please.

Hi Marty,

The pic of course is of the Magico showroom. I will let the pic speak for itself. I can't add anything.

I had no intention of even thinking about M9's for Rhapsody. Never even thought about it.

Then the A5s arrived. I thought I was getting better A3s. Ha.

After listening to the A5s for about a week running 24/7, I called Peter/Alon and ordered M9s. Six months from delivery time + or - a month from now. I purchased M9s from what I heard in the A5s. I don't need to rationalize it out to anyone I know exactly what I am doing, no doubt , 100% all in.

I'd be happy to talk ad nauseam about the sonics of the A5 or M9s once anyone has heard either of them. Sort of useless to talk about the sonics unless at least both people have heard the exact same system.

Rhapsody will relocate somewhere in the city sometime in the first half of 2021. MANY variables at play. Running a business in NYC is hard to describe at the moment. Especially as Rhapsody has been probably 3X busier than normal over the last six months. Sort of hard to believe.

Rhapsody will be presenting the M9s in the manner in which they deserve to be experienced. As well as the other speaker lines, Alsyvox, Diesis, and Bayz that Rhapsody represents. Stay tuned.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
This will generate some interest. I’m more interested in the A5 if it made you go for the M9. I will leave the M9 to the heavy hitters.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
This will generate some interest. I’m more interested in the A5 if it made you go for the M9. I will leave the M9 to the heavy hitters.

Hi Dan, Try to hear the A5s.

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know the two components (or perhaps a single component with two boxes) on top of the two racks at the left end and the next one in?

Reactions: fizzletop

Tobes

Sep 10, 2011
I'd be happy to talk ad nauseam about the sonics of the A5 or M9s once anyone has heard either of them. Sort of useless to talk about the sonics unless at least both people have heard the exact same system.

That would predicate that nearly all reviews and listener impressions are useless.
Of course there is absolutely no substitute for personal auditioning - preferably in the room where the speakers will ultimately be installed (somewhat unlikely in this case) - but people usually start somewhere in acquiring an interest in equipment.

I completely understand the target audience for the M9 is very small and you probably don't want to engage in lengthy to and fro discourse with tyre kickers.
However for dreamers (like me) it would be interesting get an idea of what these behemoths accomplish.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Why are we talking about the A5 and M9 in the same thread? If there is even the slightest equivalency between them then one is either under priced or over priced.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Why are we talking about the A5 and M9 in the same thread? If there is even the slightest equivalency between them then one is either under priced or over priced.

No different from talking about me and my son. One is overweight, the other grossly overweight but both cut from the same cloth with plenty of similarities but few equivalencies.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know the two components (or perhaps a single component with two boxes) on top of the two racks at the left end and the next one in?

It's totally appropriate in this thread:) Those two boxes are the MXO, all ANALOG crossover for the M9. The main unit and it's dedicated power supply.

The source(s) go into the preamp, the preamp connects to the MXO with one pair of balanced XLRs, then two sets of balanced XLRs to either two stereo amplifiers, four mono amplifiers, or one stereo and two mono amplifiers. 4 channels of amplification are required.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

The reason that we are talking about the A5 and the M9 in the same thread is that I started the thread and my experience over the last month has been, as stated in my post above, that I listened to the A5, which prompted me to purchase the M9s.

Why?

Because the A5 is the first now deliverable speaker in the Magico line-up with a "taste" of the technologies that were developed for the M9.

The A5 illustrates transparency, resolution and clarity in the midrange and mid-bass that this set of old ears has never experienced prior. I was stunned to first hear it. But not stunned enough to realize how special what I was hearing had been realized.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
That would predicate that nearly all reviews and listener impressions are useless.
Of course there is absolutely no substitute for personal auditioning - preferably in the room where the speakers will ultimately be installed (somewhat unlikely in this case) - but people usually start somewhere in acquiring an interest in equipment.

I completely understand the target audience for the M9 is very small and you probably don't want to engage in lengthy to and fro discourse with tyre kickers.
However for dreamers (like me) it would be interesting get an idea of what these behemoths accomplish.

I would recommend to hear a pair of well set up A5s and then either now, if really interested the M9s in the pic ARE available for demonstration at the Magico factory or will be available in NYC at Rhapsody early 2021.

Everyone else is free to talk about what they hear, and explain it to others, but for me personally it doesn't really matter until I personally have the opportunity to hear something before I can discuss it intelligently. That's just me.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think it is excellent that a speaker like the M9 will be available to audition on both the East Coast and the West coast. I don’t think any Magico dealers have the M6 or Ulimate 3 but I might be wrong.

Bob I imagine your new dealership will have a larger room than the one you know have. Good luck with the move and congratulations on getting the M9

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I think it is excellent that a speaker like the M9 will be available to audition on both the East Coast and the West coast. I don’t think any Magico dealers have the M6 or Ulimate 3 but I might be wrong.

Bob I imagine your new dealership will have a larger room than the one you know have. Good luck with the move and congratulations on getting the M9

THX PETER! It will surely be an adventure, but the last six months have already been an unimaginable adventure:)

The great part for Rhapsody is that our lease is up mid 2021 and more importantly spaces are going to be available in the city like never before. A LOT of businesses are leaving the city.

At this point Rhapsody needs a full floor and that's what we will be looking for. Rhapsody needs at least three listening areas. That's the plan.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
THX PETER! It will surely be an adventure, but the last six months have already been an unimaginable adventure:)

The great part for Rhapsody is that our lease is up mid 2021 and more importantly spaces are going to be available in the city like never before. A LOT of businesses are leaving the city.

At this point Rhapsody needs a full floor and that's what we will be looking for. Rhapsody needs at least three listening areas. That's the plan.
You mean a lot of cheaper, bigger spaces?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
You mean a lot of cheaper, bigger spaces?

Hi Marc, yes, actually both. Up until Feb, it was the normal NYC real estate sky high market. Post pandemic SO MANY businesses will be having employees work at home OR the businesses have folded or will be folding.

If you look at the available space even now you can see a plethora of spaces at somewhat reasonable prices that were not available in early 2020.

By the time 2021 rolls around I probably will be able to find a suitable space that is 4X the size of my space or larger for maybe a few $K more than I am paying now. I've been in my existing space for 19 years, all the stars are aligned for a move in 2021.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing