Luxman D10x USB Input

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
I have had the Luxman D10x for a few months. The DAC is better than my previous DACs but I felt the performance never matched its reviews and more importantly it couldn't hold a flame to my comparatively lowly Rega Planar 8 TT and Soundsmith Paua II cartridge. 80% of my listening is jazz. I generally try to get audiophile vinyl pressings and accompanying CD/SACD that was mastered by the same engineer (so Analogue Productions pressing and corresponding SACD). For months whenever I compared digital to corresponding vinyl, turntable always came out noticeably ahead.

Typically, I only played mofi SACDs in the unit and for redbook, I would rip CD to my Aurender A10 streamer and then stream from Aurender HDD into Luxman via USB. I only listen to the redbook layer of AP SACDS because quite frankly the DSD layers of their SACDs sound flat and lifeless to me (almost like the DSD layer is a flat tape transfer without any EQ to liven up signal).

So the HDD on my Aurender A10 stopped working for a couple of days and I started listening to CDs on the Luxman rather than streaming. That’s when I noticed how much better CDs sounded vs streaming from HDD, so I started looking at my streaming chain as the weak point. I got a digital converter (Singxer SU-6) to reclock and convert USB signal to coaxial. I cannot overstate how much the Singxer improved the signal; streaming is now close to parity if on not on par with playing physical media.

Things have gotten so much better that my digital now sounds better than many of my vinyl records. As an example, the RVG redbook edition of the Grant Green’s Idle Moments, sounds better than the AP 45 rpm pressing and Blue Note classic series. Some records still sound better on vinyl but I’m confident that has to do more with mastering than the Luxman.

But what I need to figure out is where the USB weakness is coming from, is it from my streamer or the Luxman. I am hoping that some other D10x owners can comment on their experience streaming via USB. As much as I like what the Singxer is doing, it can only output via spdif or I2S; and since Luxman doesn’t have I2S, I can only use spdif which can’t handle DSD on the Luxman. I also note that the Aurender A10 doesn't have spdif out, only USB.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I have had the Luxman D10x for a few months. The DAC is better than my previous DACs but I felt the performance never matched its reviews and more importantly it couldn't hold a flame to my comparatively lowly Rega Planar 8 TT and Soundsmith Paua II cartridge. 80% of my listening is jazz. I generally try to get audiophile vinyl pressings and accompanying CD/SACD that was mastered by the same engineer (so Analogue Productions pressing and corresponding SACD). For months whenever I compared digital to corresponding vinyl, turntable always came out noticeably ahead.

Typically, I only played mofi SACDs in the unit and for redbook, I would rip CD to my Aurender A10 streamer and then stream from Aurender HDD into Luxman via USB. I only listen to the redbook layer of AP SACDS because quite frankly the DSD layers of their SACDs sound flat and lifeless to me (almost like the DSD layer is a flat tape transfer without any EQ to liven up signal).

So the HDD on my Aurender A10 stopped working for a couple of days and I started listening to CDs on the Luxman rather than streaming. That’s when I noticed how much better CDs sounded vs streaming from HDD, so I started looking at my streaming chain as the weak point. I got a digital converter (Singxer SU-6) to reclock and convert USB signal to coaxial. I cannot overstate how much the Singxer improved the signal; streaming is now close to parity if on not on par with playing physical media.

Things have gotten so much better that my digital now sounds better than many of my vinyl records. As an example, the RVG redbook edition of the Grant Green’s Idle Moments, sounds better than the AP 45 rpm pressing and Blue Note classic series. Some records still sound better on vinyl but I’m confident that has to do more with mastering than the Luxman.

But what I need to figure out is where the USB weakness is coming from, is it from my streamer or the Luxman. I am hoping that some other D10x owners can comment on their experience streaming via USB. As much as I like what the Singxer is doing, it can only output via spdif or I2S; and since Luxman doesn’t have I2S, I can only use spdif which can’t handle DSD on the Luxman. I also note that the Aurender A10 doesn't have spdif out, only USB.
Welcome to wbf.I have a d10x as well but I use only the analog outputs so I cart help you out.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I had Luxman D-10X before I changed to esoteric K-01XD. I found improvement in sound quality with use of USB reclocker between streamer and D-10X. There are various options and choices: in low cost side, Mutec and SOTM have good reputation. I used Ideon 3R Mastertime and found it good. They are bit expensive. Other option includes Innuous phoenix, which is also on expensive side.

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
I had Luxman D-10X before I changed to esoteric K-01XD. I found improvement in sound quality with use of USB reclocker between streamer and D-10X. There are various options and choices: in low cost side, Mutec and SOTM have good reputation. I used Ideon 3R Mastertime and found it good. They are bit expensive. Other option includes Innuous phoenix, which is also on expensive side.
Does your Esoteric also benefit from using a reclocker?

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Does your Esoteric also benefit from using a reclocker?
Absolutely. I used it when I had Antipodes streamer with USB out. Now changed to Aurender N20 and am primarily using SPDIF out to K-01XD. If I ever go back to USB out, I will definitely use reclocker. It does make musical improvement.

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
Absolutely. I used it when I had Antipodes streamer with USB out. Now changed to Aurender N20 and am primarily using SPDIF out to K-01XD. If I ever go back to USB out, I will definitely use reclocker. It does make musical improvement.
Ok, I just wonder if there is a streamer out there with solid USB output under $6K.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
In that price range I would think of Lumin U1, Aurender N10 or Antipodes S40/S30. Each of them do sound different. I know the sound signature of each of these. It comes to preference, rather than which is best.

Reactions: Kozak170

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
In the U.S. I'm reading that the new Arender N200 ($6000) is an excellent choice and is preferred over the N10 ($8000).

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
In the U.S. I'm reading that the new Arender N200 ($6000) is an excellent choice and is preferred over the N10 ($8000).
You may be right. If using USB out only, n200 is excellent choice.

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
It all goes back to the quality of the production of any format. Be it vinyl or CD or streaming which is last on my list for sound quality and believe me many dealers have tried to get me into streaming, I bring my CD and play it and they say will it case by case, no streaming is easy, convenient and the future, I have 1,600 so I should to what? rebuy them all (which I can't in either format) Burn them to a hard drive of a DAC/Streamer, so I can sit and flip through my iPhone or Pad and push the screen to play a song. Cool yes, but I don't need it. I grew up on Vinyl, it is how I learned the sound of good and bad recordings, I've not gone back to Vinyl. It was never the myth of sound quality that is sold today, it was only as good as the pressing and production and who set up your turntable, not to mention the arm, cartridge, or mat you used which all changed the sound of the platter you played, which is why Reel to Reel was the way to go back then.

mauidj

Mar 28, 2022
I was going to go with a Lumin U1 to connect to my D-10X but after much thought I decided to go stand alone and bought a Lumin X1. I absolutely love it and am very pleased with my purchase. When time allows I will try the streaming the X1 into my D-10X to hear the difference between the DACs. Should be a fun experiment!

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
I was going to go with a Lumin U1 to connect to my D-10X but after much thought I decided to go stand alone and bought a Lumin X1. I absolutely love it and am very pleased with my purchase. When time allows I will try the streaming the X1 into my D-10X to hear the difference between the DACs. Should be a fun experiment!
I have both as well and in my setup the D10x sounds better to me!
The Lumin X1 supposedly has a better usb output compared to their other players.

mauidj

Mar 28, 2022
I have both as well and in my setup the D10x sounds better to me!
The Lumin X1 supposedly has a better usb output compared to their other players.
That is really interesting. One of my suppliers was insistent on me not buying the U1 to plug into the D-10x. Said it would not sound as good as a stand alone DAC or streamer DAC. So did you chose usb so you can output DDS files? Have you compared to coax?

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
That is really interesting. One of my suppliers was insistent on me not buying the U1 to plug into the D-10x. Said it would not sound as good as a stand alone DAC or streamer DAC. So did you chose usb so you can output DDS files? Have you compared to coax?
Yes, I used usb because I wanted to test how the Lux sounded in general, knowing that I could stream DDS files at some point in the future. I tried coaxial as well but thought the usb sounded better. That could be due to either component, though. I only tried a few usb cables but loved what I heard with an AIM usb cable from Japan. I think you can get a rough estimate of the Luxman sound with a basic usb cable.
I like the Lumin X1 but I think it has a sound unto itself. I use it in a second system but my latest integrated amp has streaming built-in and I’ve taken pains to tweak my ethernet to see if I can be happy with that versus the Lumin. I think I’ve finally gotten there or at least close enough to scale down the size of the system and lose the X1.
As I said, I think the Lumin has a “sound.” It’s very good but I preferred the d10x’s usb input when using the Lumin. The D10x has the best sound I have ever heard. The absence of noise and detail that I hear for the first time with the Luxman is nothing short of revelatory for me. The soundstaging and imaging is on another level. It’s not the sound I expected from the Luxman but I find I like it all the same.
Interestingly, I have a Lumin A1 in another system and I don’t feel I miss anything when listening to it. I never feel like there should be more or less of any aspect to the sound. But when I compared the X1 and A1 head to head in the same system, the X1 showed how it outperformed the A1. Maybe there’s something that I feel is more natural sounding about the Luxman and Lumin A1’s sound?

mauidj

Mar 28, 2022
Brilliant stuff mate! Mahalo!
Now I am really keen to start experimenting.
So if you get rid of the X1, what streamer will you run into the Luxman?
My impressions of the X1 alone are very favorable.
It was quite a revelation to me as a person who until recently has not embraced streaming or digital in general.
Of course when i got the 10X much of that changed. I had never heard any digital sound like that.
Then the X1 arrived and it was a different animal but no less lovable ;-)
I will get my system arranged in the next few days so as to connect the X1 to the 10X and see what's what.
Very excited!
Aloha!

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
Brilliant stuff mate! Mahalo!
Now I am really keen to start experimenting.
So if you get rid of the X1, what streamer will you run into the Luxman?
My impressions of the X1 alone are very favorable.
It was quite a revelation to me as a person who until recently has not embraced streaming or digital in general.
Of course when i got the 10X much of that changed. I had never heard any digital sound like that.
Then the X1 arrived and it was a different animal but no less lovable ;-)
I will get my system arranged in the next few days so as to connect the X1 to the 10X and see what's what.
Very excited!
Aloha!
The great thing with both of those components are the different options you have.
So if I remove the X1 which I think I’ll do, I’m going to use the streaming board built into my Vitus integrated amp. While not as capable on its own as the Lumin (and definitely not the Lumin into the Luxman), making upgrades to reduce noise on my ethernet connection via optical conversion, power supplies, cables has made it competitive with the Lumin to the point I can accept the areas where the Vitus might not measure up. The Vitus and the Lumin both use Sabre dacs though the Lumin has the higher spec chip. But it’s to the point where the differences in sound have narrowed to differences as opposed to outperformance in my opinion.
Have fun with the Lumin and Luxman. I’d be interested to hear what you like after you have time to experiment with them!

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
From my experience, i would go Luxman D10X USB all the way.
while the X1 is a fine DAC it's just not on the same level as the Laxman when connected to a decent streamer through USB (I use Cardas Clear USB cable at the current time).

Last edited:
Reactions: RnRmf

mauidj

Mar 28, 2022
I just ordered up a Purist Audio Design 30th Anniversary USB cable to connect the X1 to the 10X.
Also just got the parts to set the X1 up with an optical connection to the network.
This is going to be fun!

Reactions: RnRmf

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
I just ordered up a Purist Audio Design 30th Anniversary USB cable to connect the X1 to the 10X.
Also just got the parts to set the X1 up with an optical connection to the network.
This is going to be fun!
Please let us know your impressions later.

Reactions: mauidj

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing