Lutron Maestro Wireless Dimmer RFI

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In amateur radio land we detect RFI by setting the frequency tuning control of a handheld AM transistor radio between broadcast stations. Once a relatively quiet spot on the AM frequency spectrum is identified one raises the volume and goes RFI hunting.

I have discovered that Lutron Maestro wireless dimmers are gigantic transmitters of RFI. The dimmer transmits RFI not transitorily upon turn-on (not just during a single RF instruction transmission) but continuously.

Further, when I put the AM radio right up close to the dimmer it is obvious that the dimmer generates RFI continuously even when the lights under the control of the dimmer are off.

Has anyone else observed RFI with these dimmers?

Is there any remedial action one can take to minimize their continuous generation of RFI when the lights under their control are on?

Has anyone determined conclusively whether the RFI generated by these dimmers has an audible sonic effect on your stereo system?

I may pull these RF dimmers out of my listening room, and replace them with the hardwired switches I had there originally.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
No, I do not have any Picos.

Lutron works seamlessly with the new Elan remote
control system..

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Wonder if wireless ceiling fans do the same??

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I would have thought most wireless devices transmit an RF signal only upon turn on or turn off or during the dimming process. I am very surprised these dimmers generate RFI continuously.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No, I do not have any Picos.

Lutron works seamlessly with the new Elan remote
control system..
I wonder if the RF is emitted continuously because it needs to have a trickle of activity to be 'always on' in anticipation of the remote?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Ron. I do not listen to AM on the rig but am happy to report no distinguishable difference between standard switches and the Lutron Maestro's in the main stereo room (even with critical listening). This, with a noise floor of around 37-43Db and it does not matter (so far) what source I am using.

This includes a mother and slave within the same room/circuit.

Digital
LP
Streaming

I do not listen to FM or AM at all on this rig, FWIW.

An audio friend of mine also has the same Lutron Maestro's throughout his home and no issues there as well. Again, he does not listen to AM/FM.

Tom

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello, Ron. I do not listen to AM on the rig but am happy to report no distinguishable difference between standard switches and the Lutron Maestro's in the main stereo room (even with critical listening). This, with a noise floor of around 37-43Db and it does not matter (so far) what source I am using.

This includes a mother and slave within the same room/circuit.

Digital
LP
Streaming

I do not listen to FM or AM at all on this rig, FWIW.

An audio friend of mine also has the same Lutron Maestro's throughout his home and no issues there as well. Again, he does not listen to AM/FM.

Tom

Are your Lutron switches hardwired to the devices they are controlling, or are they RF dimmer switches?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Dimmer switches. Master and slave, in the same room but not associated with the rig itself. Same circuit? Yes. But the rig is constant power via the outlets and the Lutron's are on the switches that control a light in the center of the room. 2 way switches and they are hardwired.

I do have other switches/controllers in the house that are RF but not in the stereo room and are on different circuits. No discernible difference when hooking them up either....but then again, I do not listen to AM/FM on the main rig. FWIW.

Tom

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Of course if your Lutron Maestro dimmers are hardwired they would not be generating RFI.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Of course if your Lutron Maestro dimmers are hardwired they would not be generating RFI.
So its the ability to remote control that is creating the RF?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
So its the ability to remote control that is creating the RF?

The wireless dimmer is used to turn the light on and off by transmitting an RF signal to a central remote control system in the house which processes and executes the instruction.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The wireless dimmer is used to turn the light on and off by transmitting an RF signal to a central remote control system in the house which processes and executes the instruction.
Got it. So presumably no way to shut that off since it can only communicate with the main panel wirelessly rather than by hardwire.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Got it. So presumably no way to shut that off since it can only communicate with the main panel wirelessly rather than by hardwire.

Exactly. The only solution, it seems, is to remove that particular dimmer (controlling those particular lights) from the remote control system.

The RF generated by the Lutron dimmer even when the lights are off apparently is extremely low in RF power because, when off, the dimmer excites the AM radio only when the radio is a few inches from the dimmer.

Alternatively, I could keep the RF dimmers and simply not use the overhead ceiling lights when I'm playing the stereo. That is not far-fetched, because I was planning to put on the floor accent lights to softly illuminate the system when I am listening to music -- and not using the overhead ceiling lights.

Maybe, in practice, I wouldn't even hear the RFI through the stereo system. But just knowing the dimmer is generating that much RFI cognizable on the AM radio band makes me nervous.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I would suggest you leave everything until the system is in. THEN take it out and see what happens...it could very well be you dont notice it. At some point you have to consider 'living with some RF'...unless you intend not to have cell phones, remotes, and lead-line your walls to block antenna/radio frequencies from entering the room, etc.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I would suggest you leave everything until the system is in. THEN take it out and see what happens...it could very well be you dont notice it. At some point you have to consider 'living with some RF'...unless you intend not to have cell phones, remotes, and lead-line your walls to block antenna/radio frequencies from entering the room, etc.

I agree, Lloyd.

I was a little skeptical about the whole-house remote control system originally, but it is an absolutely amazing system, and it is nice to have every single light on it.

Thank you.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Let us know what you hear. I bet the cell phone in your pocket or wireless router for your home transmits with a whole lot more power than a dimmer.

I like the idea of integrated lighting control, but I will fight my clients to the end if they won't let me set the home up for hard wire connections.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Let us know what you hear. I bet the cell phone in your pocket or wireless router for your home transmits with a whole lot more power than a dimmer.

I'm sure you are right. Of course the dimmer switch is not transmitting 600mW.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing