Lumin P1 in 'da house

Puma Cat

Feb 21, 2011
Just in for review....the Lumin P1.

Presently using it as a streamer, DAC and preamp using the innovative LEEDH volume processing.

One of the things that is really nice....I don't need to use an Ethernet or USB cable to connect it to my music server. Going straight into it from my music server using...OM-1 specification optical fiber using the optical transceiver normally used in my EtherREGEN. It's powered with the amazing Shunyata QR-s power cable connected to an Everest power disributor.

Frt-Panel.jpg

Presently using it with a Constellation Inspiration integrated amp with volume set to Unity gain. Controlling output volume using the LEEDH technology either in Roon or with the supplied remote control.

Just connected it up yesterday, have no more than 24 hours or so on it, but so far, I am very impressed with it. It has superb transparency, clarity, and the inner detail and resolution of timbre and texture are exemplary. And....it is QUIET.

More later as it runs in....

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
I’m looking forward to your review. I have a Lumin U1 and love it. I’ve always been impressed by Lumin’s constant drive to improve their products.

Reactions: Puma Cat

Kenc

Jan 4, 2019
Toronto, Canada
I am also looking forward to hear about this. I am using a Lumin U1 (with X1 power supply) into a Baltic 3 dac. I hope you will be able to compare the internal dac of the P1 to the Baltic. It's also interesting that Lumin has gone with an internal PS on the P1.

Puma Cat

Feb 21, 2011
I am also looking forward to hear about this. I am using a Lumin U1 (with X1 power supply) into a Baltic 3 dac. I hope you will be able to compare the internal dac of the P1 to the Baltic. It's also interesting that Lumin has gone with an internal PS on the P1.
That is definitely on the agenda.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Puma Cat

Feb 21, 2011
I’m looking forward to your review. I have a Lumin U1 and love it. I’ve always been impressed by Lumin’s constant drive to improve their products.
Yeah, I am very impressed with Lumin, too. They think everything through very thoroughly. I like their rigorous approach to design and engineering.

Reactions: audio.bill

Puma Cat

Feb 21, 2011
So, I've had the Lumin P1 playing continuously last coupla three days, even when the wonderful Constellation Inpiration integrated is turned off, and I estimate the Lumin P1 has about 60 hours on it at this point. And....it is sounding really wonderful, even at this fairly early point. My guess is it will continue to improve with more hours, and I'll cycle it off for a spell tomorrow to help with forming the caps, but so far...I am very impressed. It has superb transparency, clarity, inner detail, a natural, lovely, tonal palette and excellent rendition of timbre and texture, along with a spacious and wide soundstage (wider than the Linn, for example). And like the excellent Aurender N20 streamer/server, the P1's stereo image has excellent 3-dimensionality and "palpability" to the instrumental and vocal "voices"; there's weight and body to the images and vocals.

Peter has been helpful for arranging for me to get the L1 music server as well, so I'll add that in to the mix when it gets here.

I haven't heard all that many "all-in-one" 1-box streamer/DAC/preamp combos, most notably the Linn Klimax DSM/3, and the P1 fully holds its own with the Linn on pretty much every front, and actually presents a wider soundstage. And for 1/4 the price.

Puma Cat

Feb 21, 2011
Update regarding the Lumin P1...

I've been racking up more and more hours on the Lumin P1, and I continue to be more and more impressed with it. I estimate I've got 100 or so hours of burn-in on it, as i sometimes leave it on overnight, with the integrated amp powered off, but the P1 on with music files running through it.

I calculated the other day that by using the P1 with a direct fiber optical l connection, I was able to eliminate a significant number of "devices" from the streaming reproduction chain: no need for an Ethernet switch in the main rack, no need for an LPS for that Ethernet switch, no need for a network bridge, so no need LPS for the network bridge, AND...no need for power cords for those power supplies, AND... no need for an Ethernet cable or a USB cable. That’s…six, count 'em six, fewer “components” overall in the signal path from music server to DAC.

Just yesterday I put all the "networked music server" components onto a Shunyata PS10 power distributor in the "remote music server room", and that brought about a significant increase in audio quality. Things have come a long way since the venerable little Hydra 4.

Anyhoo...the P1 continues to impress me with it's performance for any and all high-end audiophile attributes that we tend to "geek out" about.

More to the point, it just makes MUSIC, and in a most wonderful way, indeed.

Paired with the luscious Constellation Inspiration integrated amp, which I'm still listening to as my dual-mono power supplies for my First Sound preamp only arrived just today after being upgraded with Shunyata's latest CCI-X noise filters, this combination makes for an exceedingly musical "perfect pairing", if you ask me. :)

Reactions: gleeds

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing