Lumiere DST

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Hello
recently aquired a Lumiere DST in original headshell to check out the DST buzz out there
had some idea as I imagine it to have som similarities with Decca and my much loved Rowland Complement, a derivative of a cantileverless IKEDA 9
installed it in the new Groovemaster Titanium 12" arm on a Garrard 301 in a DASPLINTH
it was immedeately obvious that this heavy bugger had something seductive to it
harmonics, growl and speed are the first impressions and the Groovemaster seems to handle this forceful generator very well

now my 301 is over for full refurb + cnc´d chassis at Ray Clark´s ClassicTurntable Co and a Garrardzilla bronze platter and bearing will be added upon arrival, so I´ll have to wait for another 3-4weeks before I can comment more on this great combo

anyone else had any experience with this cartridge....

best
Leif

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hello
recently aquired a Lumiere DST in original headshell to check out the DST buzz out there
had some idea as I imagine it to have som similarities with Decca and my much loved Rowland Comlement, a derivative of a cantileverless IKEDA 9
installed it in the new Groovemaster Titanium 12" arm on a Garrard 301 in a DASPLINTH
it was immedeately obvious that this heavy bugger had something seductive to it
harmonics, growl and speed are the first impressions and the Groovemaster seems to handle this forceful generator very well

now my 301 is over for full refurb + cnc´d chassis at Ray Clark´s ClassicTurntable Co and a Garrardzilla bronze platter and bearing will be added upon arrival, so I´ll have to wait for another 3-4weeks before I can comment more on this great combo

anyone else had any experience with this cartridge....

best
Leif

Hi Leif,

Based on an early sample I ordered a dozen of them for US sales, unfortunately there was major quality variations in each cartridge and many of them failed only after few hours but they can be wondrous if you you get lucky and find one that was built right. Be careful they’re quite fragile and there’s no servicing them.

david

Reactions: gian60
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
hi interesting
heard that they/he had some serious quality issues for a period, but after ser. no 500 should be safe..mine is 8xx and works fantastic
also hava an aqaintance that has secured service if/when necessary
I haven´t heard everything, but It is quite unique regarding dynamics, harmonic textures and richness
It´s fullbodied all the way up and not like a x-mas tree...
best
Leif

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
hi interesting
heard that they/he had some serious quality issues for a period, but after ser. no 500 should be safe..mine is 8xx and works fantastic
also hava an aqaintance that has secured service if/when necessary
I haven´t heard everything, but It is quite unique regarding dynamics, harmonic textures and richness
It´s fullbodied all the way up and not like a x-mas tree...
best
Leif
The good ones can sound quite wonderful why I ordered 12. I visited Kikuchi in Japan with the cartridges, it’s been years and he made numerous promises but nothing was ever returned. Hope your experience is better than mine.
david

Reactions: bonzo75

jdza

May 3, 2010
I think there is more to the Neumann than current cartridge builders appreciate.

Towards the end of his life the late Andre Hanekom of Blue Angel Audio fame became obsessed with the Neumann concept. He managed to build a working prototype but complained about the very poor channel separation and that the cartridge was effectively mono. This was, I believe due to the rod extending vertically from the top of the triangular coils to terminate in a rubber disc. As I understand it is this disc that determines the vertical compliance. I wonder if this is the problem: That vertical and horizontal compliance are determined by different parts and getting those two parts to work together is where the secret lies?

Sadly Hanekom became increasingly more frail and could no longer physically or mentally apply himself to solve the puzzle of a mythical cartridge,having never even seen the Neumann in real life.

The Blue Angel Neumann-type prototype

IMG_0003 by jdza, on Flickr

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I think there is more to the Neumann than current cartridge builders appreciate.
You’re correct in your assumption, not to say that they’re bad but none of the so called Neumann tributes actually sound anything like the original.
david

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I know people who has both Neumann DST62 and working Lumieres and they claim the Lumiere is 95% of the Neumann performance
anyway I feel I get similar to all out Studer A80 sound from a vinyl medium and that´s good enough for me...
just cross my fingers it will last...but there are people capable of servicing theese rare creatures...
the Complement does much of the same trick imnsho
best
Leif

Reactions: bonzo75

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
anyway I feel I get similar to all out Studer A80 sound from a vinyl medium and that´s good enough for me...
best
Leif

I know you are a tape guy. Saying the above is quite something.
We are pretty much on the same page here.

Tang :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
finally after a lot of fiddling about it´s mounted and course adjusted in my heavier magnesium assy on the Airtangent reference....all good
plays like a charm
will test with Northern Electric SUT later
now only S&B 20190409_204904.jpg

Reactions: Tango and bonzo75
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
will run vta scan tomorrow
set up a range on the Airtangent of 4-5mm on armbase and sits in the listening pos and push engage and it scans through in 0,1mm increments....the spot that sounds best can be read straight out from the controlunit display
can save as relative difference from Lyra assy or set as new relative 0,00
very handy

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
hello T
Fortunately your luck wish worked ;)
Have you considered the Neumann or another DST yourself?
If anyone had the environment to make it work, you certainly have...
best
Leif
Congratulation Leif. The sound must be wonderful. I have many episodes of cart not working right so right now I am just going to stick to what are working in my system well. I heard from ddk that the vhd master sig has many resemblance to the Neumann. So I just settle for the akin sound. ;)

Kindest regards,
Tang

Marc0209

Sep 13, 2019
Hi Leif,

Based on an early sample I ordered a dozen of them for US sales, unfortunately there was major quality variations in each cartridge and many of them failed only after few hours but they can be wondrous if you you get lucky and find one that was built right. Be careful they’re quite fragile and there’s no servicing them.

david
Hello,
I am new to this forum. I stumbled upon it while searching for more info on the DST. I own the Lumiere Duacto 1 preamp, and I am always searching for for a DST cartridge but never have had any luck. Any recommendations on where to locate a good example? Also are there any Ducato users out there? I Know this is an extremely rare preamp(especially in the US). Thank you,
Marc

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing