Low ceiling (8') treatment

rich121

Dec 11, 2017
Yakima, Washington
My room is 17.5"W x 22.5"L x 7.8'H
I have expanded from 2 separate rooms to one large room.
The walls/ceiling are still open.
From what I understand, my low 8' ceiling is the biggest problem.
From what I understand, the frequency issues I will have are from 160Hz and below.

I was hoping to fill the ceiling with acoustic rock wool (I have 2"x6" ceiling joists, so a 5.5" ceiling cavity, but could add whatever needed depth) and then use acoustic ceiling tile with at least a .65/.70 absorption rating.

How would I calculate the thickness of rock wool used with the acoustic ceiling tile?

Could someone give me some references, books or links for more information?

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 31, 2015
Washington, DC
My room is 17.5"W x 24"L x 8'H
I have expanded from 2 separate rooms to one large room.
The walls/ceiling are still open.
From what I understand, my low 8' ceiling is the biggest problem.
From what I understand, the frequency issues I will have are from 160Hz and below.

I was hoping to fill the ceiling with acoustic rock wool (I have 2"x6" ceiling joists, so a 5.5" ceiling cavity, but could add whatever needed depth) and then use acoustic ceiling tile with at least a .65/.70 absorption rating.

How would I calculate the thickness of rock wool used with the acoustic ceiling tile?

Could someone give me some references, books or links for more information?

Thanks,

Rick
FYI:

rich121

Dec 11, 2017
Yakima, Washington

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 23, 2010
Monument, CO
There will be a null at 1/2 the distance between floor and ceiling. See if your ears are at 48" (or whatever that ends up being) and if not then that is not a big deal. Hopefully true as there's not a lot you can do about nulls -- treatment would have to be so thick as to be impractical. For reflections at higher frequencies, Rockwool and acoustic tiles will work, and I would fill the space above the tiles with Rockwool and that should be enough. Acoustic panels are generally 4" thick so 5"~6" is fine. I would keep the ceiling as high as possible (not drop it further) for acoustic and aesthetic reasons.

Ethan's site has a lot of useful material: www.realtraps.com

HTH - Don

Last edited:

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 6, 2013
Not really room treatment advice. But a tall line source speaker will mostly reduce low ceiling acoustic problems.

rich121

Dec 11, 2017
Yakima, Washington
Not really room treatment advice. But a tall line source speaker will mostly reduce low ceiling acoustic problems.
Yes, I waited all last year for the release of Danny of GR-Research, 'Line Force' as I was very interested... but hopefully by next year.

Last edited:

rich121

Dec 11, 2017
Yakima, Washington
There will be a null at 1/2 the distance between floor and ceiling. See if your ears are at 48" (or whatever that ends up being) and if not then that is not a big deal. Hopefully true as there's not a lot you can do about nulls -- treatment would have to be so thick as to be impractical. For reflections at higher frequencies, Rockwool and acoustic tiles will work, and I would fill the space above the tiles with Rockwool and that should be enough. Acoustic panels are generally 4" thick so 5"~6" is fine. I would keep the ceiling as high as possible (not drop it further) for acoustic and aesthetic reasons.

Ethan's site has a lot of useful material: www.realtraps.com

HTH - Don
Thank you... I have watched his youtube videos.
With different seating and a little slouching, ear height should be between 35" to 38".

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing