Loudspeaker Suggestions Please – Alternatives to Avantgarde Mezzo

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I’m looking to upgrade my old Avantgarde Duo horn speakers and am almost decided on Avantgarde Mezzo XD or possibly Duo XD.

I love the sound of Avantgarde speakers and their quirky looks. Looks are especially important as the speakers stand in the middle of my large semi-circular room.

With a budget of up to Mezzo price (40-50K, but hopefully far less) what else should I look at? They must be happy standing mid-room (no back wall), so no Martin Logans please – they just sound poor in my room (I have Expression 13As for sale). This probably excludes other panel speakers, though big Quads sounded remarkably good. What else is there that will sound fantastic and look interesting?

Bayz look the part but way too costly. What else is there out there? UK distribution preferred, but not 100% essential. Thanks for any imaginative ideas

Peter

Attachments

• mezzo-galerie-1.jpg
    mezzo-galerie-1.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Plan - 112 Living Room PDF.pdf
    53.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You love the sound, and how they look. They work in your perhaps-challenging semi circular room.
My advice? Stick w them.
I can't imagine you preferring dynamic box spkrs. And panels/ribbons.
Don't look for a problem to solve that doesn't exist.
I have several years experience of visiting my good friend in London who runs 2010 vintage AG Duos Omegas. One of the great sounds in the capital.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
If you love what you have, I'd go for the XDs. They are a rather solid upgrade over the older AGs.
Otherwise, it'd be helpful to know what you DON'T like on your current speaker, or perhaps what you'd be looking to gain by going for a different one.

cheers,
Alex

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I’m looking to upgrade my old Avantgarde Duo horn speakers and am almost decided on Avantgarde Mezzo XD or possibly Duo XD.

I love the sound of Avantgarde speakers and their quirky looks. Looks are especially important as the speakers stand in the middle of my large semi-circular room.

With a budget of up to Mezzo price (40-50K, but hopefully far less) what else should I look at? They must be happy standing mid-room (no back wall), so no Martin Logans please – they just sound poor in my room (I have Expression 13As for sale). This probably excludes other panel speakers, though big Quads sounded remarkably good. What else is there that will sound fantastic and look interesting?

Bayz look the part but way too costly. What else is there out there? UK distribution preferred, but not 100% essential. Thanks for any imaginative ideas

Peter
These would look and sound fabulous in your apartment Peter.
https://en.kornhent.bzh/
Various colour options available and cheaper than Mezzo XD.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
These would look and sound fabulous in your apartment Peter.
https://en.kornhent.bzh/
Various colour options available and cheaper than Mezzo XD.

Hi Blue. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". When I behold those, I see no beauty at all. Whatever they sound like (and I suspect far from AG quality), I wouldn't want them in my room - they would look appalling from behind where my dining and kitchen areas are. They only go down to 80 Hz so need a sub to add to the "clutter". Would you swap your Duos?

Thanks for drawing my attention to another interesting horn system, but let's leave these monstrosities in France? Apologies to Marc and anyone who has these in their homes.

Peter

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
If you love what you have, I'd go for the XDs. They are a rather solid upgrade over the older AGs.
Otherwise, it'd be helpful to know what you DON'T like on your current speaker, or perhaps what you'd be looking to gain by going for a different one.

cheers,
Alex

Thanks Alex

There's nothing I don't like about my present Duos (or earlier Unos), but it's time to update - 18 years is a long time to stick with one speaker system. Mine are now 3 generations old (Omega with new 18 ohm drivers), Grosso (12" bass drivers) and XD (new amp with more comprehensive tuning). In fact 4 generations if you count the move from early ones with separate tweeter horn tubes to later ones with the taller sub enclosure.

It's just that the opportunity is here to change from AG to some other speaker make or type and it's great to have suggestions for systems I may be unfamiliar with. Peter

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Got it. It's just curiosity then. I'd stick with AG in this case...

Reactions: Hear Here and hogen

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Reactions: Hear Here

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Attachments

• 54C9638D-C2FE-4781-9B7E-011C8D22FAF4.jpeg
    54C9638D-C2FE-4781-9B7E-011C8D22FAF4.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: jeff1225

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I’ll just chime in... you might consider the Diesis line. Upper models outside your range, but mid-level Caput Mundi might fit the bill. Not sure how you’d feel seeing the crossovers in back, but overall probably a little smaller footprint vs. Avantgarde.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tam, you and Blue58 should talk.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I would advise the OP work with a dealer, for proper installation. So even if he buys the used pair, he should have a local dealer work with him on the installation. The XD setup is not just twiddling knobs anymore, it takes a piece of software that can be a little daunting for some.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK

Tam - Thanks for that. From the link it appears you have Trios, but I don't see the story behind the caps update. What was wrong with the caps provided by AG and how did you decide what to replace them with? Do you know if later models use caps that are best changed?

My speakers are pre-Omega Duos. I've not tampered with the XO but have added (at AG's direction) a couple of small resistors that have significantly reduced the switch on / switch off thump that was becoming worrying - that was in my earlier Unos. Peter

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK

Thanks. I have no worry about a little colouration for its own sake. If music sounds more exciting with a little colouration, bring it on. Likewise, I have no fear of the distortion exhibited by SETs. I'd much prefer a little SET distortion than a bland rendition with the likes of Benchmark amps.

I've owned most types of speaker (apart from wide range ribbons and Maggie-type) and my Avantgardes have given me more musical excitement and delight than others. I'm still open to other suggestions for speakers that will excite and please, rather than display the 100% accurate rendition that the recording engineer needs from his monitors. Peter

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I am absolutely OK with the SET 'distortions' as they mimic those of real instruments. However, I guess I'm sensitive to my days with my Klipsches, and can't abide those distortions attributed to either compression drivers and/or traditional horn designs.. Of course, YMMV.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing