Lost a family member last night...

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Well yesterday was a long, sad day.

One of our kitties named Harpo had to be put down. He had been acting a bit off the past couple of weeks, and for about the past 4 days hasn't been eating or drinking much of anything, and his breathing had become very labored.

We took him to the vet a couple days ago and was diagnosed with pancreatitis. We were give some meds to give him and it wasn't helping. In fact, he was fighting us the entire time, so we ended up taking him right back the following night. They ran more tests yesterday morning and found a cancerous tumor in his chest that was filling his lungs with blood and fluid, which was also causing his pancreatitis. He was deteriorating rapidly and his breathing was getting worse.

Unfortunately, there wasn't anything that could be done at this point because the cancer was already too far along and was affecting pretty much all of his organs including horrible acids that were draining into his stomach which was making him not want to eat and drink.

So we had no choice but to make the tough decision. We cried and said our goodbyes, and... You know the rest... Hell, I'm tearing up again just writing this...

Reactions: Bodhi

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Commiserations. Two of our cats died 6 months ago, either side of my GF's birthday. They always had impeccable timing. One after a month long period of really poor health, one just natural old age.

Your cats look beautiful, very poised and serene. Again, sorry to hear.

Reactions: Chops

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Chops, I'm sorry to hear the sad news that you've lost a member of the family. It must be an incredibly sad time for you and your family, but you've done the compassionate thing, and your cat is no longer suffering.

Take the time to grieve. But remember life goes on. In fact, Albert Einstein said it is impossible for matter to die. It just changes form. One day when you're ready, I recommend watching a film called 'What Dreams may Come' with Robin Williams. I found it very hopeful. All the best.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry to hear for both of you

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
Deeply saddened to hear of your loss. Loosing a pet hits hard and deep. The following phrase was shared with me after we lost a young Husky to a sudden, still unknown, malady-

“It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.”

This helped me, I hope you can find some solace.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Thanks everyone for the wonderful, thoughtful words. We greatly appreciate it.

Reactions: Bodhi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing