Looking for suggestions on a new and upgraded streamer.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
For the past couple of years now, I have been running a Bluesound Node 2 (not the 2i). For about a year, I was running the coax out to a PS Audio Gain Cell DAC. I have since sold the PS Audio gear and have moved on to all Schiit gear. The Node 2 has been running flawless the entire time.

I just ordered a Schiit Bifrost 2 a couple days ago and it will be here tomorrow. I want to be able to utilize the "Unison" USB input on it as it's supposed to be better. I also have a Wyred4Sound Recovery USB Reclocker that I would like to use again, or at least see if makes any difference. I have a 12v ifi Audio iPower power supply with it. I also have two Wireworld USB cables to use with it.

I recently starting running Roon and love it. I have a NAS with 6TB of storage (about one third used so far), two WD My Passport Ultra 4TB backup drives, Tidal and Qobuz.

Looking to spend no more than about $600 all in, I've been doing a little research and have been eye-balling the Allo USBridge Signature with DigiOne and DietPi+Allo UI.

I don't want purchase their cheap PS nor do I want to purchase their pricey Shanti PS as I've read that they can have noise issues. I'll just purchase another ifi iPower (5v) which includes a mini-USB connector.

I'm thinking this will be a decent, cost effective (bang for the buck) upgrade from the Node 2. What do you guys think? Good move in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance!

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
I use the Auralic Aries Femto. From chatting to a guy in the industry who reviews a lot of streams he rated it highly.
Cheers, Tim

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Yeah, I had one of those a few years ago. Nothing but junk. Had nothing but constant issues with the thing. Never again. Plus, they go for a lot more than $600.

Don't get me wrong. The thing sounded great when it worked and would be a perfect solution. But the thing kept crapping out more than it worked.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
No... The streamer is $849.

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Yeah, I had one of those a few years ago. Nothing but junk. Had nothing but constant issues with the thing. Never again. Plus, they go for a lot more than $600.

Don't get me wrong. The thing sounded great when it worked and would be a perfect solution. But the thing kept crapping out more than it worked.

Must have fixed them now, I don't see issues, there are very frequent firmware upgrades. Sorry I don't know the USA rates but in the UK they're around £700 ish.

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
I use the Digione Signature but using spdif output and can confirm it is very good.
Regarding Pre-Box S2 my understanding is that this is also based on Rasperry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing