Looking For A Small But Good Audio Quality Speakers(KEF LSX?)

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
Has anyone tried the KEF LSX? What do you think of the speakers?

I have a small desk. I'm looking for a small, but with good audio quality speakers(released in 2017 or 2018) that come with stands. What are your recommendations?

BTW, is putting a Harman Kardon AURA STUDIO 2 on the floor between my bed and computer desk a good idea?

Thanks.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
There's a new option, the "Bose Home Speaker 300", which I think I can put it on my crowded desk.

So a Harman Kardon AURA STUDIO 2(which is bigger in size and should have better sound quality) on the floor between my bed and computer desk, or a Bose Home Speaker 300(which is smaller and I have not yet read the reviews) on my disk?

Thanks.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
The Magico A1 is a good value at $7.4k & has heroic build quality. The only caveat is that @85db efficiency into 4 ohms, they will need a robust ss amp to drive them (Ie: minimum 150 watts) - https://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/05/new-magico-a1-speakers.html?m=1

Re: stands, I personally like Core Audio Designs adjustable stands which are well made & good value. But there are many others such as Sound Anchors, Taoc etc.

Last edited:

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I think jumping from $200 and $1000 odd speakers to a $7.5k Magico is a bit much, not sure of EDLIU’s budget? I would recommend EDLIU you check out Adam Audio speakers.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I think jumping from $200 and $1000 odd speakers to a $7.5k Magico is a bit much, not sure of EDLIU’s budget? I would recommend EDLIU you check out Adam Audio speakers.
That's a fair call. Being a high end guy, I get a bit carried away sometimes! hakujin's earlier suggestion of the Falcon LS3/5a is a good one. And the Falcon's high impedance should open up a lot more choices with amplification. Placed on Core Audio Designs stands, that would be a really nice combo with a decent amp.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
have a pair of LSX on my desktop & love em

I have a small computer desk. Which do you think is better:

A Harman Kardon AURA STUDIO 2(on the floor between my bed and the computer desk). A smaller Bose Home Speaker 300(on my disk). Or a pair of KEF LSX(with stands)?

Thanks.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I have a small computer desk. Which do you think is better:

A Harman Kardon AURA STUDIO 2(on the floor between my bed and the computer desk). A smaller Bose Home Speaker 300(on my disk). Or a pair of KEF LSX(with stands)?

Thanks.

No-one can tell you what you like. It's all about personal bias and preferences. Buy with a money back / return option.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
No-one can tell you what you like. It's all about personal bias and preferences. Buy with a money back / return option.

I'm just trying to figure out which speaker in the specific situation has better sound quality.

Thanks.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
BTW, what's the disadvantage for having a big speaker placed on a small desk, and the speaker is very near to me?

Thanks.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I'm just trying to figure out which speaker in the specific situation has better sound quality.

Thanks.

The Bose 300, the KEF LSX and the HK Aura can all be purchased on Amazon. Money back / return option. Now you can decide for yourself and if you don't like, all you pay for is return shipping. Pretty easy.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Vanatoo

Adam Artist 5

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
If I purchase the KEF LSX, and then return them. What will Amazon do with the speakers? Is Amazon going to sell them to other people?

Thanks.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
BTW, what's the disadvantage for having a big speaker placed on a small desk, and the speaker is very near to me?

Thanks.

Depending on the desk size, it'll act to load the frequencies that are short than the desk at 1/4 of the frequency, and that aren't highly directional from the speaker itself. Getting it up off the desk a bit on a stand that allows airflow around the speaker will help fight that.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
Depending on the desk size, it'll act to load the frequencies that are short than the desk at 1/4 of the frequency, and that aren't highly directional from the speaker itself. Getting it up off the desk a bit on a stand that allows airflow around the speaker will help fight that.
So does that mean the KEF LSX(which are smaller) on a stand is better than a Harman Kardon AURA STUDIO 2(which is bigger) on the desk ?

Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing