Life Begins at Five

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The heaps of praise on the Unifield 3 notwithstanding, it is my opinion that it is the VR-5 that is the sweetspot of Von Schweikert Audio's range. Truly full range, 94dB Sensitive, plays loud and soft with deftness yet balls to the wall dynamics when called for.

Basically VR-9s less the super tweeters and the 15" powered Diamond subwoofers, QTL instead of Sealed, it delivers the same voice lacking only the added width, breadth and depth, the depiction of space which their big brothers, the 9 and the 11 do with so much ease it feels almost like cheating.

To me that voice is a beautiful one. I ended up jumping from them, a $25,000/pr loudspeaker to four times that with my customized one-off VR-9s. The funny thing is it wasn't because I was not satisfied. On the contrary it was I had so much faith in the platform, I just had to see how far Albert could push it, and then some, with my request for even more bespoke goodies inside.

Before I parted with them however, I listened to them extensively with my Lamm LL2 Deluxe, ML1.1s, Accuphase DP-78 and all VSA cabling. I can't remember how many times I said to myself that in fact, I could very well live with this set up. Not surprising as such a set up indeed would likely be the "pot of gold" underneath many an audio lover's long rainbow.

I think that I have crossed the point of diminishing returns a long time ago. The price paid in not just money but study, experimentation and elbow grease. The VR-5 however will always be special to me because it served as a marker, a waypoint. The point where Albert and his speakers went from good with good value as represented by the lineage of the VR-4 in Vortex, Gen *, jr, and SR guises but showed what he could do within size and space constraints, gloves off. The result is a loudspeaker that to my ears competes very, very favorably with speakers the same size even double their price. When I say that, I am biting my lip in my effort to be more conservative and less zealous.

Why it got so little press remains a mystery to me. The word of mouth however tells quite a tale.

Stong

Apr 20, 2010
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the good write-up on "Life Begins at Five", and for the good personal review of the VR 9,11 and Lamm. My love for the VR speakers happen by chance after a tired day at work. Drop by my friend's shop to relax and also hope to meet some music lovers there. And on demo is a pair of speakers with some nice teakwood looking finishers and Watts Puppy look alike. My first impression for the speakers is the beautiful sound stage,wide band-wave and well control bass and midrange , better than the WP which is sitting next to it. That speaker is none other then the VR-4 JR Mk2.

This speakers is an unknown and a total stranger to me at that time. I told my friend, the sound it chunk out is unbeliever real and lively comparing to the Cremona I had at home. He offer me to bring it home and try , and on home ground on the same evening.

Before I hook it up at home. I run the Cremona with both my Jadis tube amp, a JPS8 pre-amp and the 100 watter Jadis Defy 7. And after completing my favorite sacd disc, I hook up the VR4-JRMK2 and there in my own home.....my Life Begins at Four.
And a year later, I traded in the speaker for a larger and taller model VR-4 SRMK3. And hopefully, in a year's time "Life Begins at Five" for me too !
Don't know much about the Five though and hopefully , again, if I can chance upon it one day. LOL, High End-No End !!

And yes, it is amazing, with so little review for most Von Schweikert speakers, it has such a good following and owners.

Regards

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Amen to that Jack. The one thing that the VR5 affords that the VR9 doesn't is the ability to get the speaker out into the room where the depth of soundstage becomes more apparent and, at least in my case, adding parallel subwoofers placed up against the front wall...where a subwoofer belongs. With the VR9s you don't have that capability...the subs follow the M/T/bass which, I my humblest of opinions, is not ideal. Granted I don't have the ribbon tweeter but not sure if that is really that big a concern. But having said all that, you can bet your sweet behind that if I could afford it, there would be a pair of VR9s in gloss black sitting in my listening room. :cool:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing