Let's talk about "The Beatles".

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I don't care what you talk about as long as it's your genuine opinion of the band and whatever they did musically, personally, collectively or individually.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I don't care what you talk about as long as it's your genuine opinion of the band and whatever they did musically, personally, collectively or individually.

They were amazing. Without them, the British Invasion and all those great bands that followed would of been delayed. I prefer the mono records from their earlier albums. Abbey Road is my favorite stereo Beatles record.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have most of the usual albums , the hirez too. I had a few vinyl albums but they are long gone .
As for talent they are tough to beat . There are those who were technically better but not more musical. The older stuff was so simplistic but always a treat to hear. I do about three hours aday on the NYC subway and love zoning out to them.
Paul's voice is fantastic just to listsen too.

Al

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Collecting their LP's is a very interesting hobby. I am a "minor" Beatles collector, BUT there are some people who make the hardest a'phile LP collector look like a baby. One of these days I am going to learn more about the various "Butcher" LP covers and their many particulars. BTW,anyone here own a "Butcher" cover...if so what state?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Count me a fan. Have some LPs, and digital too.
All this Beatles talk made me want to pull "Abbey Road" for a spin right now :)

alexandre

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
A classic example of the sum greater than the individual parts. IMHO, of course.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
total fan from the day I first heard them when I was 12 years old in 1963. the first Lp I ever purchased was 'Beatles For Sale'. their peak was my adolescence and they are part of me. it's hard for me to be objective about them......how do i separate my history from the artistic merits one way or another? I do still enjoy listening to their music semi-regularly. side 2 of Abby Road is one of my 'guilty pleasures'.

not sure they were ever my favorite music to listen to, but they were always part of what I listened to.

I've already ordered the analog mastered mono box set. it 'could be' very very good.

I own the MFSL Beatles Box, the UK Blue Box, the Brown Box, the recent White reissue box, the digital stereo and mono boxes, the 16/24 files, all the 80's CD's and multiple Mono original pressings and all the MFSL individual pressings as well as the Pro Use pressing of Abby Road. I have a couple Beatles 15ips 1/4" master dubs of dubious sources which are ok sounding.

so I have a reasonable Beatles music collection but nothing too crazy. I have no interest in any really expensive collectable stuff.

when the subject of the Beatles musical legacy comes up my perspective is that in 50 or 100 more years their music will still be relevant for musical reasons.....when no one who heard them.....or even their children, are still alive. and how much other contemporary 20th Century pop music will be able to match that staying power? maybe a few will still get some attention, but none will remain a part of what people will continue to listen to like the Beatles.

only time can tell whether i'll be right about that.

I liked the Beatles as people and how they approached life in general, and feel my world was a better place for their having made their contributions.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Excellent post Mike, and I'm in your camp. My first was Beatles'65 (N.A. version of Beatles for Sale). I have the UK Blue Box and both the stereo/mono CD boxsets, plus all of the individual CAN/US releases. I'm really looking forward to this reissue as I have no mono LP's of any Beatles.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
They did virtually everything first, in popular music, for nearly a decade. The rest of the prodigious talent in the music world of that era followed them. They crossed the line from a blend of pop and rock all the way to avant garde and back again. They innovated, pushed the envelope, even at times to the point of atonal irritation (Revolution #9), at other times managed to make the weird and atonal just lovely (Strawberry Fields), and they pulled it off; they made us love it. They ushered in an era in which the best popular art was also the most popular art, and the impact of that even went beyond music. In the 70s, in the wake of The Beatles, the radio played progressive, genre-bending stuff. Bands like Zep and Spirit and Tull and King Crimson found big audiences. Imagine that happening today. The Beatles made that possible. What's more their massive influence on popular culture spilled over into other art forms. Think about some of the movies that were blockbusters in the 70s -- It was the equivalent of a Darren Aronofsky film festival at the multiplex.

Of course they didn't do all of that alone, but if hadn't been for them, I'm not sure it could have been done. They weren't just a band, they were the catalyst of a cultural revolution. You can dislike them, but if you think they're not important you're just not paying attention.

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I pre-ordered my collection today.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing