Lampizator Horizon v Wadax Reference

pk_LA

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2021
Has anyone here heard both to the point that they might be able to compare and contrast them? I am certainly not suggesting some kind of 'which is better' - more just trying to understand the character differences and main highlights of each.

Reactions: fizzletop

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I’ll hear the new H dac at axpona soon. as for wadax shows are a bad place to make conclusions
wadax is clearly an elitist product. Being the most exp combo I’m aware of.
i don’t feel a direct compare fairs kindly to either of them in head to head
I know lampi well and other ultra high end dacs
to me lampi is a dac that can be tuned by tubes and other means where a SS dac is committed to a house sound that we are told is correct by each maker. it’s one of many reasons I prefer lampi dacs.
lastly the wadax is price wise alone as such any non glorification comments are not well received. over all nor fair.
just my two cents

pk_LA

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2021
Has anyone here heard both to the point that they might be able to compare and contrast them? I am certainly not suggesting some kind of 'which is better' - more just trying to understand the character differences and main highlights of each
I *think* the Horizon is probably the better fit for me but I am also open to the Wadax. I look at it like the following. If an amp or preamp made a strong positive change to my system then I'd be willing to pay $140,000 for it. So, why not the same logic for a DAC?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I *think* the Horizon is probably the better fit for me but I am also open to the Wadax. I look at it like the following. If an amp or preamp made a strong positive change to my system then I'd be willing to pay $140,000 for it. So, why not the same logic for a DAC?

If you can afford 140k you should be able to audition both in your system and do a head to head for your preference.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I hope no one is actually paying 140k for a Wadax!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I don't know what the return policy is on either of these products. I can say good luck trying to get a Horizon on a trial basis. The Horizon is selling basically unheard.
Unless you are willing to visit Mike the same probably applies to the Wadax. Of course if you got the scrilla for a Wadax travel may not be a problem for you.
We all remember when the dcs was considered exorbitant.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I don't know what the return policy is on either of these products. I can say good luck trying to get a Horizon on a trial basis. The Horizon is selling basically unheard.
Unless you are willing to visit Mike the same probably applies to the Wadax. Of course if you got the scrilla for a Wadax travel may not be a problem for you.
We all remember when the dcs was considered exorbitant.
There must be a horizon owner near Mike who would enjoy this shoot out!

Reactions: ctydwn and CKKeung

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Mike has already extended the invitation. The question is what Horizon owner cares enough to schlep his Horizon up to Mike's place for a shootout.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I think some are looking at this in the wrong view . To hear most DACs at shows is a hit and miss .
At capital last years show
The vac von room was amazing with a full stack of esoteric. When it they went to analog to me the wheels came off.
Lampi room there was very good and I own the dac they used there. It did not sound as it does in my place .
I also feel there are a few types of audio nuts one being pride of ownership . Wadax to me is there mostly where lampi is too ,but before the H dac to a lesser degree. I would readily buy a lampi unheard based on what lampi says . Wadax like some high end others is much more science less sound less heard.
my system is all legacy except for a dac and server . I'm clearly not a pride of ownership man based on highest price point like wadax buyers are. Now of you ask them this they will say it's all about the better sound lol. And if unheard how can this be .
The H dac to me is a real life audio product . The wadax and others is part of a room with ostrich eggs in basket nearby.
Just my view and no bad intention towards anyone who owns or buys DACs at such ultra high prices

Reactions: dminches and Golum

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Agree with Howie : Why not?

Although the Horizon as a visiting dac may not perform at its best, we veteran audiophiles can always learn something from the comparison.
And most important is that it will be FUN!
:D

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Agree with Howie : Why not?

Although the Horizon as a visiting dac may not perform at its best, we veteran audiophiles can always learn something from the comparison.
And most important is that it will be FUN!
:D

Be sure to invite Bonzo. He loves direct comparisons and the rest of us will enjoy his iPhone videos added to the report. Talk about fun.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Lukasz can defend himself.
Based on what I heard when listening to the Horizon and his description of design process he did not ignore science in favor of soound.
He used a science and verified it with blind testing. If anything it appears you are suggesting Wadax favored science over sound.
I hope that is not true. What good is science if it does not produce superior sound?

Reactions: PeterA

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike has already extended the invitation. The question is what Horizon owner cares enough to schlep his Horizon up to Mike's place for a shootout.
if...and that is a big.....IF...this were to happen, an Horizon owner does reach out to me to do this compare......yes i would welcome it. but my preference would be to do it on the down low, and then allow the Horizon owner to decide whether to talk about it.

sometimes it's better having these sorts of questions un-answered. and my system is maybe not the best place to try and surpass the Wadax.

Reactions: ctydwn

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
if...and that is a big.....IF...this were to happen, an Horizon owner does reach out to me to do this compare......yes i would welcome it. but my preference would be to do it on the down low, and then allow the Horizon owner to decide whether to talk about it.

sometimes it's better having these sorts of questions un-answered. and my system is maybe not the best place to try and surpass the Wadax.
I know it's wishful thinking but for me it would not be to answer which one is better but what are the strengths of each. It's so personal at this level, well at any level to be honest, that it makes no sense to say one beats the other unless of course the difference is so significant that it becomes an objective exercise but I somehow doubt this would ever be the case with these two brands. I'm just interested to see which one would suit my tastes and I'm sure many would like to know what suits them as well. All just a bit of fun!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I would readily buy a lampi unheard based on what lampi says . Wadax like some high end others is much more science less sound less heard.
my system is all legacy except for a dac and server . I'm clearly not a pride of ownership man based on highest price point like wadax buyers are. Now of you ask them this they will say it's all about the better sound lol. And if unheard how can this be .
The H dac to me is a real life audio product . The wadax and others is part of a room with ostrich eggs in basket nearby.
Just my view and no bad intention towards anyone who owns or buys DACs at such ultra high prices
You really should put your energy and effort into celebrating and cheering for "the H" dac you adore instead of judging the Wadax buyers. Millions of people will LoL too hearing a $50,000 dac is considered a real life audio product.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I think some are looking at this in the wrong view . To hear most DACs at shows is a hit and miss .
At capital last years show
The vac von room was amazing with a full stack of esoteric. When it they went to analog to me the wheels came off.
Lampi room there was very good and I own the dac they used there. It did not sound as it does in my place .
I also feel there are a few types of audio nuts one being pride of ownership . Wadax to me is there mostly where lampi is too ,but before the H dac to a lesser degree. I would readily buy a lampi unheard based on what lampi says . Wadax like some high end others is much more science less sound less heard.
Where do you get the idea that Wadax owners all buy them unheard? All of the owners I know heard it before purchase. And if you are willing to buy a Lampi without hearing it are you not being hypocritical?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Mike,if I may ask have you heard The Horizon? It is not necessarily required that they be in the same room.
Maybe you and Steve could visit each other. Or maybe it (Horizon) will be at Pacific Audio Festival?
I hope you did not mind me throwing your name into the fray.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Mike,if I may ask have you heard The Horizon? It is not necessarily required that they be in the same room.
Maybe you and Steve could visit each other. Or maybe it (Horizon) will be at Pacific Audio Festival?
I hope you did not mind me throwing your name into the fray.

How can one possibly compare 2 DACs in different systems, especially when at least one of the systems would be unfamiliar?

Frankly, a person bringing their DAC to Mike's would first have to get familiar with his system before making any real assessments. That would take me several days, if not longer.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
How can one possibly compare 2 DACs in different systems, especially when at least one of the systems would be unfamiliar?
I suppose we could go even further and claim no fair comparison( I hope I used that gramitically) except if they were in optimum systems to showcase their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. Direct comparisons are rare especially with components of this caliber.
Edit: Of course such evaluations are routinely posted. Often by panels whose members who have not reviewed one or more of the contenders.
Frankly, a person bringing their DAC to Mike's would first have to get familiar with his system before making any real assessments. That would take me several days, if not longer.
IIRC Mike has a spare room just for such purposes. I wish I could stay there one day.

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015

I think, more than being familiar with Mike's system, would be having the visiting DAC settled in on a rack and plugged in for a couple of days, before a meaningful compare. I'd be surprised if the Horizon and Wadax didn't sound starkly different, independent of "better or worse." The Lampi is a tube beast and the Wadax solid state-- different animals. It would be interesting to compare.

Reactions: ctydwn

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing