Lampizator Golden Gate 3 Impressions

highstream

Nov 16, 2013
Definitely, those who prefer a “neutral” sound, as opposed to a bit of warmth, will likely not like what I do. Yet, I would never characterize their choices as not good, since for them they obviously are good, e.g., the RK 5U4G that rubbed me wrong. There was a matter of QC and longevity about Sophia tubes raised frequently some years ago. I haven’t come across much of it more recently, and haven’t experienced myself 1-2 years in, but one never knows. As for their RP 300B and the GG3, tbd.

highstream

Nov 16, 2013
The upgraded GG2/3 arrived a couple of nights ago and it sounds great with the earlier Sophia Royal Princess 300B Electric and their current 274B Aqua (the older Princess 274B, which came along, is not nearly as good). The 300B's I have are the same tubes that Jeff Day reviewed for PF in 2012 -- the best 300B's he'd heard -- and Jack Roberts did in 2014 for dagogo in a comparison with the current production NOS WE 300B, which he ultimately preferred on balance. In any case, the current Sophia Royal Princess Electric (Ltd. Ed.) 300B is an upgraded version. Whether I'm going to stay with these Sophia's is to be seen, but it won't be because they are "not good," but rather that I find something even better in the context of my tastes. Thinking about the current WE, Taka and an EML 45 Anniversary if it can be found.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golum

christoph

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 12, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
The upgraded GG2/3 arrived a couple of nights ago and it sounds great with the earlier Sophia Royal Princess 300B Electric and their current 274B Aqua (the older Princess 274B, which came along, is not nearly as good). The 300B's I have are the same tubes that Jeff Day reviewed for PF in 2012 -- the best 300B's he'd heard -- and Jack Roberts did in 2014 for dagogo in a comparison with the current production WE300B, which he ultimately preferred on balance. In any case, the current Sophia Royal Princess Electric (Ltd. Ed.) 300B is an upgraded version. Whether I'm going to stay with these Sophia's is to be seen, but it won't be because they are "not good," but rather that I find something even better in the context of my tastes. Thinking about the current WE, Taka and an EML 45 Anniversary if it can be found.
It would make much more sense to ask for tube recommendations only in ONE thread :D
I would suggest this one https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/lampizator-valve-tube-rolling-review-thread.26478/post-835983
where I already answered this exact question you are asking here again ;)

highstream

Nov 16, 2013
It would make much more sense to ask for tube recommendations only in ONE thread :D
I would suggest this one https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/lampizator-valve-tube-rolling-review-thread.26478/post-835983
where I already answered this exact question you are asking here again ;)

My post here was a follow up to a recent discussion, not to ask a question. As I think you’re aware, I did ask a question on the other thread. I’ve also reported a site glitch about the other thread where my Watch list doesn’t show it, even though at the thread it shows me watching. That means I have to search for it each time (so thanks for the link).

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing