LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
Last edited:

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
I am still using Siemens F2a tubes as outputs in my TRP. I’m convinced of their superiority, and I've purchased a backup pair. In light of this, I'd like to sell all my other TRP output tubes (except for a brand new pair of EL51s which I'm going to keep). I'm also cleaning out my stash of rectifiers. If anyone would like a list of what's available, please send a PM. I think that the prices I've set are low.

While I'm at it, I have 75 - 100 12AX7 type tubes that I no longer use. I acquired them when I had a CAT preamp. There is a partial list which I will add to. There are Telefunkens, Mullard 10M, Siemens, Amperex Bugle Boys, ... . Inquire if you have a need for any of these.

Ron

Reactions: tinkerphile

vladinsky

Dec 12, 2020
Hi guys, after having read all your topics have I have decided to order an Atlantic2 TRP, 4-6 weeks building time. It will be a bit modified: super clock for the usb output, some caps modification and it will be an orange color 360 degree (when I'll receive it, i'll post some pictures; really curious how it will end up). I understand it will also have a new engine from Feb.2022.
I was however curious If anybody has compared the KR 242 and Sophie Electric EL34 and could give me an overview? I understand there are different sonic attributes; maybe one more dynamic, airy while the other one might bring a touch of warm, midrange focus (maybe I am wrong but this what I think I understood from readings)

Last edited:

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
Hi guys, after having read all your topics have I have decided to order an Atlantic2 TRP, 4-6 weeks building time. It will be a bit modified: super clock for the usb output, some caps modification and it will be an orange color 360 degree (when I'll receive it, i'll post some pictures; really curious how it will end up). I understand it will also have a new engine (Code #18 developed in February 2022, which is the same as the Baltic one form my understanding)
I was however curious If anybody has compared the KR 242 and Sophie Electric EL34 and could give me an overview? I understand there are different sonic attributes; maybe one more dynamic, airy while the other one might bring a touch of warm, midrange focus (maybe I am wrong but this what I think I understood from readings)
The new 2022 engine for the Baltic is #53A. The current engine in the TRP is #198.
KR242 cannot be used in the TRP.
What does "orange color 360 degree" mean? Is it orange color everywhere - even the outside of the bottom plate?

vladinsky

Dec 12, 2020
The new 2022 engine for the Baltic is #53A. The current engine in the TRP is #198.
KR242 cannot be used in the TRP.
What does "orange color 360 degree" mean? Is it orange color everywhere - even the outside of the bottom plate?
I corrected my previous message, both the Baltic and Atlantic engine have been updated in February; i think there was a misunderstand in language. They have different engine and both engine have been updated in February 2022

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I wonder if you received the correct info on the engines, since the site’s write up on each was updated this month. Plus, on the relative sound graphic, the TRP ranks above the Baltic, so if they are using the same engine where does the sound (and price) difference come from? Are you getting a balanced version? The Golden Atlantic write up says the copper top (not orange) is currently being used for balanced orders only due to supply shortages.

So far I like the slightly warmer tone of the Sophia KT-88 Aqua over their EL34-ST Aqua, in conjunction with their 274B Aqua. Wish I had started with Sophia, although discussion of other tubes might have gotten experimenting anyway. I don’t know about the KR242, but if it’s anything like the KR 5U4G RK, don’t expect any warmth.

Reactions: vladinsky

vladinsky

Dec 12, 2020
I wonder if you received the correct info on the engines, since the site’s write up on each was updated this month. Plus, on the relative sound graphic, the TRP ranks above the Baltic, so if they are using the same engine where does the sound (and price) difference come from? Are you getting a balanced version? The Golden Atlantic write up says the copper top (not orange) is currently being used for balanced orders only due to supply shortages.

So far I like the slightly warmer tone of the Sophia KT-88 Aqua over their EL34-ST Aqua, in conjunction with their 274B Aqua. Wish I had started with Sophia, although discussion of other tubes might have gotten experimenting anyway. I don’t know about the KR242, but if it’s anything like the KR 5U4G RK, don’t expect any warmth.
Yes, I would assume there was a misunderstanding due to language and because both engines have been updated in February 2022. So yes, both the Baltic and Atlantic are using new engines, but different.

How would you describe the difference between Sophia KT-88 Aqua & their EL34-ST Aqua? I like air, dynamism/slam and a bit of meat on the bones - what combination of tubes and rectifier could be used for that to try ? (of course it will depend in the end how the Atlantic is in my system, then I will decide what tubes I want to try, but I just wanted have already some possible option to explore )

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
@vladinsky Both Sophia tubes deliver, so either one should be pleasing in terms of the characteristics you list. In the TRP, while my 88 is probably not quite fully burned in, it is a little warmer than the 34, which I'd been using since August. But it is really system as well as taste dependent. I do have a Supratek tube preamp -- Treasure Globes + Sophia 274B -- so I was trying to find the right combo for that re my tastes. Unfortunately, right now the Supratek is stuck in a Los Angeles USPS depot on the way to Australia for an upgrade, but the good news is that it means I'm getting a better sense of its characteristics alone (hooked directly to ATC actives, but via an unbalanced output). When it arrives, I would suggest letting your TRP burn in for at least month with the supplied tubes, both for isolation of variables and to get a good sense of the sound Lukasz has in mind, before starting to roll. Also note that I have the 53 engine, so can't comment on the more recent one.

Jeff Day's review of the Sophia's in Positive Feedback speak to his Sophia 34 vs 88 experience, as well as with the 274B:

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
I just pulled Sophia el34's to put Tesla el51's back in, keeping the Sophia Aqua 274b up front, and am getting great sound with this combo as well. The Sophia 274b tames the aggressive el51a bit yet retains the startling dynamics, powerful, clear, detailed, and engaging sound from the more energetic Teslas over the relatively warmer, rounder, and romantic Sophia el34s. To my ears, this Tesla-Sophia sound signature is more in line with the better hi-fi rooms at the Florida Audio Expo with superb vinyl or tape playing (as in the incredible Acora Acoustics room). Both pairings are great! It's nice to have TRP options!

On another note, the Synergistics Research Purple fuse indeed is a nice improvement over stock and betters the also nice Acme Audio Labs Silver Ceramic Fuse with CFC. The SR has a little bit more ease and ambiance in blind A-B-A tests. That said, tube changes make a more pronounced difference to me and where I'd personally focus first.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
@Socrates. Are you running the TRP w/ or w/o a preamp? Last week I noticed w/o and using an unbalanced signal to the powered ATCs that the Sophia KT-88 and 274B combo produced a wonderfully attractive warm sound with the SR Orange fuse. Changing to the Audio Magic fuse, brand new, cut into that warmth, though still very litenable. Will see how it develops.

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
@Socrates. Are you running the TRP w/ or w/o a preamp? Last week I noticed w/o and using an unbalanced signal to the powered ATCs that the Sophia KT-88 and 274B combo produced a wonderfully attractive warm sound with the SR Orange fuse. Changing to the Audio Magic fuse, brand new, cut into that warmth, though still very litenable. Will see how it develops.
I'm using my Golden Atlantic TRP with a preamp. I had a multi-box Pass Labs XP-22 and a few nice tube preamps (ARC, Rogue, Sachs) over the past few years, although to my surprise settled on a Benchmark LA4 preamp. As best I can tell, the LA4 is the most transparent of the group which lets the TRP and any tube changes dramatically shine through to my ears and in my systems.

From one of my listening notes comparisons (forgive the imperfect grammar and sentence structure): Vs the LA4, the XP22 had slightly better 3D imaging with tremendous soundstage depth, yet a slight reduction in dynamics and detail but not a bad thing at times on edgy tracks. The XP-22 has slightly deeper but less defined bass. The XP-22 has hair more tonal dimensionality yet for lack of detail on guitars, piano, drums, female vocals/lyrics, etc. The LA4 was appreciably better for HT with dialogue clarity (although this is primarily a 2ch audio system). The LA4 seems quieter/blacker, with smaller and more tonally dense images. Close overall! Installing Sophia el34 tubes in the TRP make things even better for both preamps, and show LA4 more revealing, honest, transparent, with higher resolution to hear deeper into the recording and reveal upstream differences that the XP22 very slightly obscured, even if pleasantly on non-audiophile recording, although the XP22 was not as relatively honey-dipped per the beautifully warm Sachs. The Sachs is NOT an overly warm and tubey pre at all, but just speaking in relative terms it carried a sound signature over every song, albeit a very pleasant one that is perfect for cold winter night listening. The Sachs proved comparatively noisy, slow and rolled off top and bottom, with a smaller soundstage vs the SS preamps and lacked the insight/clarity beyond compare with the LA4. The LTA Microzotl level 2 I had in house sat between the Sachs and LA4 sonically, being a really nice piece but again I preferred the LA4 with the TRP in front and in all cases with XA100.8 Pass labs monoblocks or tube amps on the back end.

Hope that helps!

The SR purple fuse has more warmth and density over the Acme and certainly over OEM to my ears. I'd like to try the Audio Magic fuses as well one day, and interested to see how it works out for you!

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I have a question (or need some advice) about adding/running a streamer/server, such as an LDMS, to a TRP. Right now, the core of my audio system starts with playing CD/DVDs directly or music files from an SSD via USB to a digital-only Oppo 203. From there, an spdif (RCA) cable goes to the TRP, with a preamp and active speakers down the line. The Oppo is also fed from a cable TV box, with video going onto an HDTV, as well as video playing from a USB flash drive plugged into the Oppo. With an LDMS or similar, the SSD would be moved inside it, so the Oppo would only be sending audio from CD/DVDs and a USB flash drive to the dac. My question is about how the TRP would handle a second input, in this case via what I assume is a BNC/spdif port.

My TRP’s two digital inputs are shorted; i.e., either one or the other is active, but not both at the same time. What I want to be clear about is what active means, i.e., how does the TRP recognize which one to use. Is it just a matter of which one is receiving an active signal, either from the server being sent from a tablet or from the Oppo via its remote? Or would the Oppo or LDMS have to be turned off entirely to use the other? Are there any other problems I might encounter with this set up (other than juggling remotes and an iPad)? Thanks,

SPDIF ports - 2.jpg

Last edited:

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
I'm using my Golden Atlantic TRP with a preamp. I had a multi-box Pass Labs XP-22 and a few nice tube preamps (ARC, Rogue, Sachs) over the past few years, although to my surprise settled on a Benchmark LA4 preamp. As best I can tell, the LA4 is the most transparent of the group which lets the TRP and any tube changes dramatically shine through to my ears and in my systems.

From one of my listening notes comparisons (forgive the imperfect grammar and sentence structure): Vs the LA4, the XP22 had slightly better 3D imaging with tremendous soundstage depth, yet a slight reduction in dynamics and detail but not a bad thing at times on edgy tracks. The XP-22 has slightly deeper but less defined bass. The XP-22 has hair more tonal dimensionality yet for lack of detail on guitars, piano, drums, female vocals/lyrics, etc. The LA4 was appreciably better for HT with dialogue clarity (although this is primarily a 2ch audio system). The LA4 seems quieter/blacker, with smaller and more tonally dense images. Close overall! Installing Sophia el34 tubes in the TRP make things even better for both preamps, and show LA4 more revealing, honest, transparent, with higher resolution to hear deeper into the recording and reveal upstream differences that the XP22 very slightly obscured, even if pleasantly on non-audiophile recording, although the XP22 was not as relatively honey-dipped per the beautifully warm Sachs. The Sachs is NOT an overly warm and tubey pre at all, but just speaking in relative terms it carried a sound signature over every song, albeit a very pleasant one that is perfect for cold winter night listening. The Sachs proved comparatively noisy, slow and rolled off top and bottom, with a smaller soundstage vs the SS preamps and lacked the insight/clarity beyond compare with the LA4.

Hope that helps!

The SR purple fuse has more warmth and density over the Acme and certainly over OEM to my ears. I'd like to try the Audio Magic fuses as well one day, and interested to see how it works out for you!
Interesting report and discussion. Regarding your GA TRP connection to your preamp(s), though: Pass allows at least two options: unity gain - a sort of "bypass," where the TRP exclusively uses its own volume control; or, a balanced or se choice in another input, where the preamp volume (and gain options) is used in conjunction with the TRP volume control (in this setup, Lukasz recommends the volume at max/0db - interestingly enough). Thus, there are three or four options - each producing a difference in SQ. I don't know what the LA4 provides for in the way of options (so not sure what you chose to use in your comparison). At present, I'm experimenting with my TRP direct to Pass amplifier - after having briefly sampled the TRP through Pass pre at unity gain/-24db, with the DAC VC exclusively. What is unknown (or left unexplained by Lampi manuals), is whether voltage increases as volume increases, and/or what that relationship is. One may surmise that a primary reason for Lampi to offer the VC (as they state) is to address the need for variable voltage (rather than the set, higher voltage at or near 3V). I'd better get ahead of the potential for this last part of my reply to evolve (devolve?) into a thread of its own. And while the subject of the architecture involved in Lampi's volume control and use of it depending on connnections/inputs, etc., probably deserves a thread of its own, that's not my intention here :)

vladinsky

Dec 12, 2020
Hi all,

As there is a thread for tubes, I was curious if we can gather some information regarding people experience with various interconnects used on Lampizator dacs by starting a thread on that topic. As everything is part of the whole system, maybe we can use a template, something like that:

DAC (tubes & power cord in bracket):
Amplifier:

Cables(s):
Cable 1: description of characteristics, comparison with others etc.
Cable 2: ...................
Cable 3: ...................
Cables (s) price new per meter:
Rest of system:

I do not expect that many replies, but thought it can helpful as some basic guidelines.

Obviously it will be interesting to have a mega thread like that not limited for Lampizator dacs but maybe it would be better to have it more targeted/focused.
What do you think?

Reactions: Gregadd

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
Interesting report and discussion. Regarding your GA TRP connection to your preamp(s), though: Pass allows at least two options: unity gain - a sort of "bypass," where the TRP exclusively uses its own volume control; or, a balanced or se choice in another input, where the preamp volume (and gain options) is used in conjunction with the TRP volume control (in this setup, Lukasz recommends the volume at max/0db - interestingly enough). Thus, there are three or four options - each producing a difference in SQ. I don't know what the LA4 provides for in the way of options (so not sure what you chose to use in your comparison). At present, I'm experimenting with my TRP direct to Pass amplifier - after having briefly sampled the TRP through Pass pre at unity gain/-24db, with the DAC VC exclusively. What is unknown (or left unexplained by Lampi manuals), is whether voltage increases as volume increases, and/or what that relationship is. One may surmise that a primary reason for Lampi to offer the VC (as they state) is to address the need for variable voltage (rather than the set, higher voltage at or near 3V). I'd better get ahead of the potential for this last part of my reply to evolve (devolve?) into a thread of its own. And while the subject of the architecture involved in Lampi's volume control and use of it depending on connnections/inputs, etc., probably deserves a thread of its own, that's not my intention here :)
My TRP is sans volume control. I had a prior model lampi with volume and found the lowest volume setting too loud for late-night listening and ultimately preferred an external preamp for sonic reasons as well in my system. I presume the newer volume control works better and would like to hear one in the TRP (I heard the Horizon dac last weekend with its nice volume control, although not so relevant to the TRP volume control). I use Pass Labs XA100.8 amps or various tube monoblocs and fairly efficient (if current hungry) big Von Schweiker speakers, which influence the preamp requirements as well for me in the system, FWIW.

Last edited:
Reactions: tinkerphile

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
I am still using Siemens F2a tubes as outputs in my TRP. I’m convinced of their superiority, and I've purchased a backup pair. In light of this, I'd like to sell all my other TRP output tubes (except for a brand new pair of EL51s which I'm going to keep). I'm also cleaning out my stash of rectifiers. If anyone would like a list of what's available, please send a PM. I think that the prices I've set are low.

While I'm at it, I have 75 - 100 12AX7 type tubes that I no longer use. I acquired them when I had a CAT preamp. There is a partial list which I will add to. There are Telefunkens, Mullard 10M, Siemens, Amperex Bugle Boys, ... . Inquire if you have a need for any of these.

Ron
I picked up a set of Siemens F2a tubes and have to agree that they are superior tubes in the TRP. By a non-trivial amount vs any other output tubes I've had, they offer the greatest soundstage size, particularly depth, without pushing the whole stage back as some tubes and gear do to my dismay. They are also incredibly detailed, offering hair-on-back-of-the-neck-raising ambiance and spatial cues that up the realism to a highly enjoyable degree. They are more detailed and offer faster and fuller bass over the Sophia tubes, although without the pleasing midrange warmth of the Sophia's. I need to swap a few more rectifiers here to get a more complete grasp on their performance, although am delighted with their performance with the CV181 that I installed during burn-in. More to come with additional listening.

I also just got in-house a pair of Tesla EL50's and Mullard EL50's to compare to my Tesla EL51's, Sophia EL34's, F2a's, and a few other outputs tubes in my current collection. An initial listen over the past week tells me that the Tesla EL50's are also very special, being (anthropomorphically) a better-behaved EL51 with a tremendous, rich, dense midrange, powerful and more controlled bass, and sparkling highs, just lacking a touch of the soundstage depth of the F2a and maybe extra mid-bass in comparison, and not quite as startlingly dynamic as the EL51s nor detailed as the F2a's, although a close second place relative to any other tubes I have here, and extremely well balanced overall. The Mullards still need burn-in, so nothing here yet.

This is such a great DAC in that it keeps us from having to continually swap $xx,xxx gear to seasonally tweak the system sound (and treat the audionervosa disease :)

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I really appreciate comparisons like this, which speak to tonality and not just "audiophile effects". The Sophia's modest midrange warmth is a starting point for me. In my setup with the Sophia 274B Aqua, their KT88 does even a bit better.

Reactions: christoph

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I picked up a set of Siemens F2a tubes and have to agree that they are superior tubes in the TRP. By a non-trivial amount vs any other output tubes I've had, they offer the greatest soundstage size, particularly depth, without pushing the whole stage back as some tubes and gear do to my dismay. They are also incredibly detailed, offering hair-on-back-of-the-neck-raising ambiance and spatial cues that up the realism to a highly enjoyable degree. They are more detailed and offer faster and fuller bass over the Sophia tubes, although without the pleasing midrange warmth of the Sophia's. I need to swap a few more rectifiers here to get a more complete grasp on their performance, although am delighted with their performance with the CV181 that I installed during burn-in. More to come with additional listening.

I also just got in-house a pair of Tesla EL50's and Mullard EL50's to compare to my Tesla EL51's, Sophia EL34's, F2a's, and a few other outputs tubes in my current collection. An initial listen over the past week tells me that the Tesla EL50's are also very special, being (anthropomorphically) a better-behaved EL51 with a tremendous, rich, dense midrange, powerful and more controlled bass, and sparkling highs, just lacking a touch of the soundstage depth of the F2a and maybe extra mid-bass in comparison, and not quite as startlingly dynamic as the EL51s nor detailed as the F2a's, although a close second place relative to any other tubes I have here, and extremely well balanced overall. The Mullards still need burn-in, so nothing here yet.

This is such a great DAC in that it keeps us from having to continually swap $xx,xxx gear to seasonally tweak the system sound (and treat the audionervosa disease :)
audionervosa - I like the name.
Siemens F2a - so it means that you are into Klangfilm sound. I wonder if the 10,000 hours tube life cycle is close to the truth. What was the burn-in period?

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
ED2C4131-B19F-4D4C-A3C7-C13EC6B96915.jpeg Since Fabio discovered the Teslas el51 I dug deeper in the rabbit hole to find something better. After some trial and error with the Teslas el50, 6n3c-E, Tung-Sol 5881 (USA + Russia), etc. I checked some data sheets from high performance pentodes which are used from amp builders and asked Yoda which I can use in TRP. The first ones we tried where the Telefunkens el156. They’re good but the Teslas el51 sound better and more emotional. When I found my first affordable used pair of f2a’s in Jan 21 the rave about the Sophias started (nice toobs too). Stupidly one tube had microphonic issues. It’s usable but from time to time it produces noise which you don’t want to hear from your speakers. That’s why I bought some other brandnew pairs (my stash of f2a’s lasts for a lifetime now). I kept my mouth shut about the f2a’s because prices are rising fast on the market as soon as such discoveries are posted on wbf. Would say the cat‘s out of the bag meanwhile and the rave‘s on…

=> These tubes are the new, well known output queens in the TRP tube rolling game which dethrone all the famous previous. After having fun with these beautiful candy girls since 14 months I stick to my first judgment: This is high def tube porn…:eek:

Attachments

• 9B12EA86-3718-445C-B467-16FE37E70673.jpeg
    9B12EA86-3718-445C-B467-16FE37E70673.jpeg
    609.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: christoph and Golum

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
audionervosa - I like the name.
Siemens F2a - so it means that you are into Klangfilm sound. I wonder if the 10,000 hours tube life cycle is close to the truth. What was the burn-in period?
Yes, indeed! Also sounding sublime with the Sophia 274b and GZ480 recti. A Marconi U50/80 recti is up next in the rotation.

Phonatix and Ron, what rectifier are you running with your F2a's?

For burn-in, I let the F2a's play for 3 days while I was traveling working on an FDA submission and they sounded wonderful upon return and that didn't change for the following weeks. If they live 10,000 hours in a hard-driven amp circuit, they should live a long and privileged life in the TRP.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing