LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Very helpful, thanks. I just ordered a quad on the Sophia's. Very excited.
Nice. A quad? Balanced ?
Can’t wait to hear your thoughts...

I guess I’ll be selling my KT66 and Tesla’s soon . I still can’t get over how awesome these Sophia’s are...

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Btw my listening is on SPDIF (not usb)

antipodes CX -> antipodes EX using FTA Métis Ethernet.

Ex to P2 using curious usb

P2 to lampi using Von Gaylord SPDIF.

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Hey. Based on the rave reviews, I am interested in the NOS GEC KT66s. I know that the grey glass/back base is considered the best. What about the clear glass/brown base? There seem to be more of those available. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Be careful with the later brown base, clear glass, twin circle getter KT66. A lot were made in China. Check out this page:

The earlier versions (60's and earlier) are regarded on other forums as some of the best tubes ever made.

Last edited:

leftside

Jan 22, 2018

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Nice. A quad? Balanced ?
Can’t wait to hear your thoughts...

I guess I’ll be selling my KT66 and Tesla’s soon . I still can’t get over how awesome these Sophia’s are...
Before you sell those tubes, give it a couple of weeks with the Sophias, and then go back to the KT66 or EL51.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
I haven't tried the Sophias. These tubes had a terrible reputation in the past, but I'm very happy to hear you are enjoying the newer ones.

In the past, meaning how long ago? If that's the case, I think these new tubes are def worth trying again. Again everyone's ears, music choice and equipment is different. So unless someone else tries these tubes to confirm what I am hearing, it may just be me singing praises haha.

shadowlight

Oct 27, 2016
Yes the GEC KT66s are awesome tubes. I bought them for 700 a pair on eBay. However I think you can get the Sophia EL34s online brand new for 250 a pair and in my humble opinion, they are on par with the NOS KT66s. If you like female vocals and mid range, you'll love the GEC KT66s.

My clear tubes are great, I have heard that the dark tubes are better, but I think the clear ones are equal to the black ones. I guess @shadowlight has a pair (dark tubes) that he may be looking to sell.
Yep, I have the dark glass KT66 in case anyone is interested in purchasing. They are not in best shape or look wise.

Reactions: perfusionist

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Day 4 and super happy with the Sophia Electric EL34s. Ordered their 274Bs! Will report once I have them. Right now running the EL34s with my USAF596.

Reactions: christoph

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
I just received my Sophia's. Beautiful, just love the blue.

perfusionist, how long do they take to break in?

nice! When I received mine, they had 200 hours on them. But with shipping etc, I was hoping run it for atleast 20 to 30 hours however I noticed a big improvement in 2-3 hours...

I’d say give it atleast a 100 hours before you critically evaluate.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Thanks for the input on burn in. So far, I like what I hear. I will post my impressions after the 100 hour mark.
Nice.
What is your rectifier tube?
I am currently using the USAF 596 and its outstanding. I'll also receive the Sophia 274B in a couple of days. I'll post my impressions.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
So I made an amateur YouTube video about this gorgeous DAC. Check it out (I gave credit to this forum, btw, for introducing me to these awesome tubes.

Enjoyed the video! Nice job!

Reactions: Phon@ix

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing